Poll

Where will Gordon Hayward be in the next 2-3 years?

Better than he was in Utah. The reason Hayward came to Boston was to become the idealized version of himself. Top 20 Player in the league. Worth every penny of his contract.
2 (3.2%)
At the level he was at in Utah. Legitimate All Star. Top 30 Player in the League. Expensive but excellent player.
13 (20.6%)
Team leader. Top 50 Player. Completely addresses all of the issues that he had in 2018/2019. Doesn't quite live up to massive contract but still a valuable contributor to our finals contending team.
22 (34.9%)
Improved from 2018 season but never got back to where he was before the injury. He'd be a fine player if he made about half as much.
18 (28.6%)
Remains where he was in 2018. Hesitant, never gets back his athleticism.  Inconsistent. Often a liability on both ends of the floor. Albatross of a contract.
6 (9.5%)
Worst contract in the league. Regresses even from what we saw in 2018. Ultimately the biggest reason why the Celtics never reached their potential.
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Time Capsule Tread: Who is in and Who is out on Gordon Hayward?  (Read 4452 times)

Re: Time Capsule Tread: Who is in and Who is out on Gordon Hayward?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 03:53:43 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Both Horford and Haywood are getting much more than they're worth. Unfortunately, Danny was desperate to bring in high profile FA's. I'm confident Haywood will fully recover from his injury and become a top 50 player. Seems many posters want to trade Haywood. That seems unrealistic, given his contract and current value. Haywood will be a valuable piece of next year's team, as he is an efficient shooter, a good defender, an above average passer and a veteran presence.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Both Horford and Haywood are getting much more than they're worth. Unfortunately, Danny was desperate to bring in high profile FA's. I'm confident Haywood will fully recover from his injury and become a top 50 player. Seems many posters want to trade Haywood. That seems unrealistic, given his contract and current value. Haywood will be a valuable piece of next year's team, as he is an efficient shooter, a good defender, an above average passer and a veteran presence.

I agreed with most of your points except Horford.

He was worth every penny.. Without Horford, I seriously think we would've been like the 7th seed or dare I say it... 8th seed struggling to fight for playoff contention ala Los Angeles Losers.

Hayward should be given more patience.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Time capsule, you go in a different direction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 04:41:45 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Both of those guys were paid their FMV based on their respective free agent years. I believe Hortford was the #2 free agent behind Durant. And Hayward was the #1 free agent the year he was eligible.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 05:21:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think he can regain his All-Star form assuming the chemistry issues within the team gets fixed. I'm optimistic that way.

I mean, we've seen flashes of it come back during the season, so we know it's still there. It's just a matter of if he will be able show it again with a team and a system that will allow him to.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i had assumed the OP meant to bury this until a certain date.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Optimistically Option 2.

For those comparing to PG and the 19-month mark... remember, Hayward had that setback during recovery last March. So We should expect the timetable to be different than PG. We should expect that anyways, since they are different players with different injuries.

I got a little tired of the "Hayward looks so great at the end of the season" message from fans and media. He didn't. He looked better than early in the season, and he had some very good games against opponents' benches that weren't keying in on him. When the playoffs came he did not have that extra gear. That's where it'll be won and lost with GH - does he get back that explosiveness and extra gear? I think he does.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Voted (3) Team Leader Top 50. Glimpses were there.

This. I thought of those Time Capsule music shows where they show you MVs from the 70's and 80's

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 07:32:02 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Remember that we signed GH before Kyrie Irving was even a possibility. We were building “The Death Wing” rotation. I really want to see THAT team without Kyrie.

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 07:32:38 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Hayward, Tatum and Brown were all hurt by the clash of playing style from last year's team to this year. Brad Stevens coaches an offensive system centered around ball and player movement. All three will thrive in that type of system. Hayward needs the ball in his hands and on the move to be effective, same for the others. Standing around watching Irving dribble is never going to fit the rest of the team, especially Hayward.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 08:05:26 PM »

Offline Mingia

• NCE
  • Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Hayward, Tatum and Brown were all hurt by the clash of playing style from last year's team to this year. Brad Stevens coaches an offensive system centered around ball and player movement. All three will thrive in that type of system. Hayward needs the ball in his hands and on the move to be effective, same for the others. Standing around watching Irving dribble is never going to fit the rest of the team, especially Hayward.

Agree

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I was excited like anyone else when Hayward sign with us..great signing..then had that terrible injury..hope im wrong but i think we will never see Utah Hayward again because of it..also Kyrie dribbling for 18 seconds doesnt help
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If Hayward never gets back to what he was or close to it, that injury 5 mins into his Cs career will be one of those massive “what ifs” of sports history.

Having the Utah Jazz version of Hayward is just a game changer imo.

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I voted for the 2nd option. Hayward had a tough year. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he was traded but I also think he'll be better next season if he was the focal point of the offense.

He needs to return being a starter however for that to happen.

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 08:32:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I voted option 3, but I can see him returning to Utah form (here or elsewhere). I think him having an uninterrupted offseason and pre-season is of paramount importance to this. He'll definitely have a higher usage rate next season if he stays as Rozier, Tatum, Smart and Morris could all be gone. Heck, even Irving could be gone too.

Whether or not he's put into a position to succeed by our coach is a different question
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)