Poll

Where will Gordon Hayward be in the next 2-3 years?

Better than he was in Utah. The reason Hayward came to Boston was to become the idealized version of himself. Top 20 Player in the league. Worth every penny of his contract.
2 (3.2%)
At the level he was at in Utah. Legitimate All Star. Top 30 Player in the League. Expensive but excellent player.
13 (20.6%)
Team leader. Top 50 Player. Completely addresses all of the issues that he had in 2018/2019. Doesn't quite live up to massive contract but still a valuable contributor to our finals contending team.
22 (34.9%)
Improved from 2018 season but never got back to where he was before the injury. He'd be a fine player if he made about half as much.
18 (28.6%)
Remains where he was in 2018. Hesitant, never gets back his athleticism.  Inconsistent. Often a liability on both ends of the floor. Albatross of a contract.
6 (9.5%)
Worst contract in the league. Regresses even from what we saw in 2018. Ultimately the biggest reason why the Celtics never reached their potential.
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Time Capsule Tread: Who is in and Who is out on Gordon Hayward?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Gordon Hayward is a divisive figure in NBA Circles.

Some people think he will never be the same, others think he will return to form. Where do you lie on the subject?

Myself I'm optimistic that he's going to kill it in his offseason training and have a career renaissance. Despite all of the inconsistency, I liked so much of what I saw this year and if he can just get back to 85% of where he was pre injury we'll be happy that we still have him even with his contract.

I could also see a world where if Kyrie walks Gordon ends up being on of the biggest beneficiaries.

Option 3.

Edit: The poll is the best spread of outcomes I could come up with if anyone feels there should be something in between some of the options comment below.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:34:37 PM by Smartacus »

Re: Time Capsule Tread: Who is in and Who is out on Gordon Hayward?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Any of those can happen.

I am hoping / expecting Hayward to be a solid 15ppg 5rpg 4apg with average defense next season. If he gives the team that with good shooting percentages, I will be happy with him and believe that we can build a title contender here with Hayward in a supporting role.

I am not expecting Hayward to return to Utah levels but it might happen and if it does it greatly improves this basketball team. If he can get to those levels, this team is a title contender without Kyrie Irving. With Kyrie Irving staying, it has the potential be the most talented team in the whole league (especially if AD is acquired).

I am not expecting to repeat his performances of this season but if it does that could stop Boston from being a title challenger in near future if Kyrie leaves. If Kyrie stays and AD is acquired, Boston could still win a Championship despite Hayward's inability to contribute to it.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Going out on a limb and saying he will be the player he was in Utah. I’m projecting that the logjam in our wing position will clear up and you’ll see an increase in usage coinciding with his return to health.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I went with option 4: I think he'll improve (because god help us all if he doesn't), but I don't trust him from a mental standpoint. The body may heal but sometimes the mind doesn't.

I also doubt he'd be a leader on this team. Too scared.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If we trade Tatum or Brown, it opens up more opportunities.

Utah Jazz Hayward? Highly unlikely. That Hayward was given reins to be scoring option. His USG% was 28.6.

I just don't see him averaging similar numbers, but he could always throw down 14/4/4 with decent defense.

That is good enough.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Utah Jazz Hayward? Highly unlikely. That Hayward was given reins to be scoring option. His USG% was 28.6.

I just don't see him averaging similar numbers, but he could always throw down 14/4/4 with decent defense.

That is good enough.

I see Gordon's game flourishing with Tatum and Brown, because he is a facilitator.

I don't see his game advancing with Kyrie. They just don't mix well. It is pretty obvious. Each needs the ball a lot to be their best.

Unless Kyrie is willing to go to mostly off the ball, which I highly doubt, I think it is hard to imagine chemistry getting better next season if they both return.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Unless he or Kyrie is moved it will jot work for hayward.

Both guys need the ball, and as long as Kyrie is here Gordon wont get it.

Trade Gorson amd he will improve to utah level or close to it

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hopefully Hayward can rebound to better form because he was just -awful- this season.  And his contract looks untradeable right now.  If he can recover his value and chip in like 15/5/5, he could return to being a very valuable player for us.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

That is good enough.

I see Gordon's game flourishing with Tatum and Brown, because he is a facilitator.

I don't see his game advancing with Kyrie. They just don't mix well. It is pretty obvious. Each needs the ball a lot to be their best.

Unless Kyrie is willing to go to mostly off the ball, which I highly doubt, I think it is hard to imagine chemistry getting better next season if they both return.

Did Kyrie not play well off the ball next to Marcus Smart? I don't get it, do people just choose not to remember?

The only thing holding Gordon back is Gordon. And before we get to the dreaded "But Paul George's injury...." talk, keep this in mind from NBCSports:
We’re coming up on 19-month mark since that event. It’s becoming harder to fall back on that rationale. Paul George was averaging 27.2 points per game 16 months after his catastrophic leg injury in Las Vegas.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 01:51:28 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Option 5. He's been given 91 games (realistically, I give him games until after January to get his groove back) to perform at a high level.

And he's been subpar for the most part. I find it hard to see him making any leaps next season. He'll be a year older and his athleticism has declined. This contract has been abysmal.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 01:52:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

That is good enough.

They said the same thing about Harden/CP3. My issue is that everyone except Brown wants to score, and be the man... Hayward doesn't mind taking a back seat, in order for him to be truly effective, he needs to keep the defense honest, and make smarter plays... Driving with the intent to kick it out is just awful offense, and shows he is still clearly unable to take over, and instead okay with deferring.

That is good enough.

Did Kyrie not play well off the ball next to Marcus Smart? I don't get it, do people just choose not to remember?

The only thing holding Gordon back is Gordon. And before we get to the dreaded "But Paul George's injury...." talk, keep this in mind from NBCSports:
We’re coming up on 19-month mark since that event. It’s becoming harder to fall back on that rationale. Paul George was averaging 27.2 points per game 16 months after his catastrophic leg injury in Las Vegas.

Agreed. PG-13 is my favorite player, but even he came back earlier, even though both different injuries.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:57:36 PM by Monkhouse »

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 01:53:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Joe Ingles / Nic Batum level starting wing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Here's the thing about Hayward returning to his Utah form. Utah played a very slow game.

Even before Hayward got injured, there was some question about him playing at the pace that the Celtics were playing at.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't return to the form he had before he was injured, but I don't know if he's going to be as effective here as he was in Utah. I think that question has never been answered. He knows what the expectations are. Hopefully he can be the player that Boston needs him to be next season.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

That is good enough.

They said the same thing about Harden/CP3. My issue is that everyone except Brown wants to score, and be the man... Hayward doesn't mind taking a back seat, in order for him to be truly effective, he needs to keep the defense honest, and make smarter plays... Driving with the intent to kick it out is just awful offense, and shows he is still clearly unable to take over, and instead okay with deferring.

That is good enough.

Agreed. PG-13 is my favorite player, but even he came back earlier, even though both different injuries.

To be clear, I'm not expecting Hayward to be PG. Never did. But we can't fall back on the physical issues forever. I really think his issues at the end of the season were mental and it all came to a head at the worst time.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

That is good enough.

That is good enough.

To be clear, I'm not expecting Hayward to be PG. Never did. But we can't fall back on the physical issues forever. I really think his issues at the end of the season were mental and it all came to a head at the worst time.

Sorry if my point wasn't made clear.

No one should expect Hayward to be anything like PG.

They play both different play styles, similar but unrelated injuries, and both have different roles already preset in their each respective teams. I'm not cutting Hayward any slack, but this is the full fledged year that Hayward came back from, and it wasn't pretty.

My thought process is that Hayward couldn't do any worse than this year, so I hope he at least somewhat bounces back.