Author Topic: Coaches/GM's weigh in on Tatum vs. Brown  (Read 6235 times)

Re: Coaches/GM's weigh in on Tatum vs. Brown
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
The average celticsblog user’s recollection through casually watching games vs actual data backed by an entire analytics department that gms base their opinions on... hmmm... I wonder which one has more merit.

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2019, 12:17:33 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
The average celticsblog user’s recollection through casually watching games vs actual data backed by an entire analytics department that gms base their opinions on... hmmm... I wonder which one has more merit.

Sometimes, eye test is a much better indication than analytics. Heart, motor, leadership and other intangibles cannot be measured by any analytics.

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2019, 12:35:36 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Sometimes, eye test is a much better indication than analytics. Heart, motor, leadership and other intangibles cannot be measured by any analytics.

three types of lies.... lies ...darn lies, and statistics!!!

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

These are billion dollar businesses. Everything is measured.

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 01:56:13 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I very much doubt these GM's were pouring over their data or consulting their analytics department extensively to answer a journalists question about which on two young guys on a team that isnt theres is better.

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2019, 03:44:09 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Horford wouldn't have gotten a Max and Smart wouldn't have a contract right now, if that was the case.

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

I very much doubt these GM's were pouring over their data or consulting their analytics department extensively to answer a journalists question about which on two young guys on a team that isnt theres is better.

You’re failing to understand how GMs or managers in general operate. You don’t get to a position that high up without being able to rattle off gobs of information at a moments notice, even after a few drinks schmoozing investors. That’s their job. They collect information, make decisions based on that information, and relay it to stakeholders. Yes, he isn’t going to be able to remember left vs right handed drive tendencies for Gabusele because he’s not a significant player, but for someone as important as Tatum who he would probably give up a lot of his team for, he knows everything basketball related and a lot about his personal life. They’re machines, especially if it is someone who went through a traditional management path (not Magic Johnson).

Horford wouldn't have gotten a Max and Smart wouldn't have a contract right now, if that was the case.

I mean sometimes GMs overpay for various reasons (I couldn’t get a better deal, I had to hit the salary floor, I want to use his contract later for a trade chip, incompetency, etc). However, the two players you listed were paid at least their fair market value (multiple teams would have paid a similar price - can’t say all because not all teams are in the same situation at any given time) as evidenced by Horford receiving multiple offers and Smart involved in a lot of trade talk as an asset (not filler) for Anthony Davis. It also sounds like you believe that Smart isn’t an NBA caliber player, which is absurd.

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2019, 10:42:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You’re failing to understand how GMs or managers in general operate. You don’t get to a position that high up without being able to rattle off gobs of information at a moments notice, even after a few drinks schmoozing investors. That’s their job. They collect information, make decisions based on that information, and relay it to stakeholders. Yes, he isn’t going to be able to remember left vs right handed drive tendencies for Gabusele because he’s not a significant player, but for someone as important as Tatum who he would probably give up a lot of his team for, he knows everything basketball related and a lot about his personal life. They’re machines, especially if it is someone who went through a traditional management path (not Magic Johnson).

I mean sometimes GMs overpay for various reasons (I couldn’t get a better deal, I had to hit the salary floor, I want to use his contract later for a trade chip, incompetency, etc). However, the two players you listed were paid at least their fair market value (multiple teams would have paid a similar price - can’t say all because not all teams are in the same situation at any given time) as evidenced by Horford receiving multiple offers and Smart involved in a lot of trade talk as an asset (not filler) for Anthony Davis. It also sounds like you believe that Smart isn’t an NBA caliber player, which is absurd.
There were only two GMs involved in the article, the rest were assistant coaches. And not every GM in the league is a new school collector of information that can spout off up to date scouting reports, with data, from the top of their head, on every top 100 player or top 50 prospect in the league.

Actually, it appeared many of those that commented had a scouting report that was more in line with what Tatum looked like last year and not this year. It really read to me like the reason fans can see Tatum in one light and those "informed" GMs and assistant coaches in another is because those GMs and assistant coaches don't appear to have the most recent scouting reports or most up to date statistical analysis of each player memorized whereas those fans just watched 91 games of Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason
It’s almost as if you want to say that teams would be better run by “twitch plays NBA GM.”

What you actually remember from this past season and what you think you remember are very far apart because you’re a human being. Whether it’s the GM or the president of basketball ops or some other figure with a more traditional management role, someone in that organization is using analytics to make smart basketball decisions. Not based on gut or what they think that they observed.

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

three types of lies.... lies ...darn lies, and statistics!!!
Statistics literally never lie.

People just interpret them wrong
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Tatum remains a player with superstar potential. 

Brown remains a player with fringe star potential.

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
What a difference a few weeks can make.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah kinda like last year where everyone properly recognized our playoff roster lacked star talent and we'd likely get owned in the first round.

A few weeks later after a couple big upsets, fans collectively decided it was an East powerhouse that would be world-beaters once Kyrie and Hayward returned.

Opinions sure can change in a few weeks.

As for Brown and Tatum, not much has changed.   Tatum has the potential to be a superstar.  Brown has the potential to be a fringe allstar.

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Yeah kinda like last year where everyone properly recognized our playoff roster lacked star talent and we'd likely get owned in the first round.

A few weeks later after a couple big upsets, fans collectively decided it was an East powerhouse that would be world-beaters once Kyrie and Hayward returned.

Opinions sure can change in a few weeks.

As for Brown and Tatum, not much has changed.   Tatum has the potential to be a superstar.  Brown has the potential to be a fringe allstar.
Highly doubt either of them ever even come close to being superstars. I see more Joe Johnson/Shawn Marion level players at their prime,
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16

And sometimes fans are wrong.