Author Topic: The disaster is Stevens & Ainge's fault  (Read 7151 times)

Re: The disaster is Stevens & Ainge's fault
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 12:38:44 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I do think that some blame falls with Ainge for not foreseeing that Rozier would be an issue given his high profile success in the playoffs last year and the fact that the team was going to ask him to return to a 20-25 mpg role.

I think it was foreseeable that there would be issues with minutes and shots for Tatum and Brown as a result of Hayward's return, but I'm not sure that could have been avoided.

I think the lack of reliable big man depth is another issue for which Ainge deserves some blame.  Both Theis and Baynes have a history of being at least somewhat injury prone.  Robert Williams is a very raw rookie.  Yabusele has shown nothing to suggest that he can be relied on for minutes outside of garbage time at the NBA level.  Ojeleye is a decent third string 3/4 but can't log minutes at the 4 or 5 against teams playing traditional big men.

I don’t see how it’s Ainge’s fault the guys he drafted exceeded expectations.

You can’t just start dumping talented players because of it, and Rozier has been insurance the entire season in the event Kyrie leaves.

I’ll be fine putting him on a very short leash in the playoffs, if not DNPing him. We can use Smart for ~12mpg (Kyrie 36mpg in playoffs) at PG or even use Wannamaker.

242 available minutes:
Kyrie 36
Tatum 34
Horford 32
Hayward 32
Morris 28
Brown 28
Smart 28
Baynes 18
6 remaining minutes to Theis/Rozier, give or take. But can easily be made up by some of these guys (Baynes 20, Smart 30, etc.).

I like that. A nice tight rotation, if guys are hot they stay in, if they are cold they get yanked. Nobody is being overworked.

I don't like giving Hayward that many minutes yet.

Irving 36/Smart 6/Rozier 6
Smart 24/Brown 24
Tatum 18/Hayward 26/Brown 4
Morris 28/Tatum 14/Horford 6
Horford 26/Baynes 18/Theis 4

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 02:19:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I do think that some blame falls with Ainge for not foreseeing that Rozier would be an issue given his high profile success in the playoffs last year and the fact that the team was going to ask him to return to a 20-25 mpg role.

I think it was foreseeable that there would be issues with minutes and shots for Tatum and Brown as a result of Hayward's return, but I'm not sure that could have been avoided.

I think the lack of reliable big man depth is another issue for which Ainge deserves some blame.  Both Theis and Baynes have a history of being at least somewhat injury prone.  Robert Williams is a very raw rookie.  Yabusele has shown nothing to suggest that he can be relied on for minutes outside of garbage time at the NBA level.  Ojeleye is a decent third string 3/4 but can't log minutes at the 4 or 5 against teams playing traditional big men.

You can’t just start dumping talented players because of it, and Rozier has been insurance the entire season in the event Kyrie leaves.

I’ll be fine putting him on a very short leash in the playoffs, if not DNPing him. We can use Smart for ~12mpg (Kyrie 36mpg in playoffs) at PG or even use Wannamaker.

242 available minutes:
Kyrie 36
Tatum 34
Horford 32
Hayward 32
Morris 28
Brown 28
Smart 28
Baynes 18
6 remaining minutes to Theis/Rozier, give or take. But can easily be made up by some of these guys (Baynes 20, Smart 30, etc.).

I like that. A nice tight rotation, if guys are hot they stay in, if they are cold they get yanked. Nobody is being overworked.

Smart 24/Brown 24
I'd much rather have Hayward having that many minutes than have Morris play more than him at this stage
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 04:07:39 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

242 available minutes:
Kyrie 36
Tatum 34
Horford 32
Hayward 32
Morris 28
Brown 28
Smart 28
Baynes 18

Smart 24/Brown 24

I’m talking playoffs, so another 7 weeks away. If we’re not comfortable with him playing 30+ a night, we’re probably screwed. We are going to need him to be a 20/7/7 threat out there if they don’t guard him.

I’d border on overusing him in March to get him completely confident both mentally and physically. We’ve seen him get up for some dunks, his defense has been very good lately, so the lateral footwork is back.

In your depth chart, would you rather give Rozier 6 minutes (where you know he’s going to play hero ball), or 6 more to Hayward? I’d be fine DNPing TR3 if he doesn’t learn his role, and it’s probably too late for that.

I’m tired of making excuses for this team. First I said give them ‘til Christmas, then the middle of January, then the break, now it’s the playoffs. They need to wake up and play with some consistency.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There is a reason I gave Ainge an F at the trade deadline.  There were clear issues on this team that should have been corrected.  He absolutely should have traded Rozier and Morris for a big making less money but signed an extra year.  That would have helped with a number of issues that the team has both on and off the court.  It was a huge fail that he didn't make a move like that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There is a reason I gave Ainge an F at the trade deadline.  There were clear issues on this team that should have been corrected.  He absolutely should have traded Rozier and Morris for a big making less money but signed an extra year.  That would have helped with a number of issues that the team has both on and off the court.  It was a huge fail that he didn't make a move like that

Agree. TP

I think Ainge has to have a reason though, not like him to be caught sleeping.

I think the players share the blame, too, though.  They bought into their own hype.

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 07:39:33 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
The only reason not to trade anyone at the deadline has to be s&t rozier in the davis trade pack.
But still, a back up PG was a must
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
There is a reason I gave Ainge an F at the trade deadline.  There were clear issues on this team that should have been corrected.  He absolutely should have traded Rozier and Morris for a big making less money but signed an extra year.  That would have helped with a number of issues that the team has both on and off the court.  It was a huge fail that he didn't make a move like that.

Do you have someone in mind?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 07:58:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I would've liked to see us nab Willy Hernangomez
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2019, 08:01:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yeah the game was tuff to swallow .

But .....did ya ll see A. Davis play n against Lakers .   

He barely played 20 minutes , but it was magnificent to see him full of energy taking the Lakers and Lebron apart in every way.   He was a one man wrecking crew . Just unstoppable .  Soon as he came out , Lebron brought the Lakers back again for the win.  Davis could have had 50 points easy and 20 rebounds play n 40 mi utes like Bron .  Bron had to,playnthe entire game for them to win.

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Obviously depends on who was available and would want Morris or Rozier.  I would have been fine with taking a flyer on someone like Kaminsky.  I know he wasn't signed past this year, but I think a Morris for Kaminsky swap made sense for both Charlotte and Boston.  Maybe you expand the trade Morris, Rozier, Yabu for Kaminsky and Parker.  Boston drops below the tax, gets a quality veteran back-up PG with a 5 millionish salary to trade this summer (about 2.5 million more than Yabu) and gets a look at Kaminsky (such that maybe you keep him this summer).  Charlotte also had Hernangomez who could have been added to that trade or just been a different trade where its him for Rozier.  I think there were trades to be made with Phoenix and Sacramento.  Sacramento in particular had a bunch of quality bigs and smalls signed to reasonable multiple year contracts (Mason, Ferrell, Giles, and Labissierre before they traded him) and they were clearly making a playoff push such that Morris clearly would have been useful for them (Rozier to a lesser extent). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The belief this team is just waiting on the playoffs is a dangerous one. Not sure we will see that drastic of a turn around.

I will say this....if they can't get to the 3rd seed, position themselves in the 6th spot. That way you play an overachieving Indiana in round one and not Philly.

Boston's path as the 6 seed is easier than as the 5 seed....Indiana>Toronto>Bucks/Philly is a bit easier to me than Philly>Bucks>Toronto

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think DA is a step behind the top GM's in the league.  In a copycat league, Danny got on board the GSW train of no position teams.  In the last year, however, you saw GS sign DCousins.  Toronto acquired MGasol and Memphis replace Gasol with a younger JValunciunas.  Portland signed EKanter.  Philly already has Embiid.  The trend is/has occurred where GM's have realized you NEED a very talented TRUE BIG.  We have none!  DA failed to acquire one!  Holding on to his precious roster spot, which does us absolutely no good.
This team is 1st or 2nd round toast.  Kyrie will be gone after the season.  ADavis won't be coming.  Probaby means Danny will probably trade Horford to start rebuilding....AGAIN, but our many picks don't look that great anymore. Trader Danny got caught playing it too close to the vest and failed to see the trend in the game of going BACK to the big man, as a key contributor. Grade F, for DA!

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I think DA is a step behind the top GM's in the league.  In a copycat league, Danny got on board the GSW train of no position teams.  In the last year, however, you saw GS sign DCousins.  Toronto acquired MGasol and Memphis replace Gasol with a younger JValunciunas.  Portland signed EKanter.  Philly already has Embiid.  The trend is/has occurred where GM's have realized you NEED a very talented TRUE BIG.  We have none!  DA failed to acquire one!  Holding on to his precious roster spot, which does us absolutely no good.
This team is 1st or 2nd round toast.  Kyrie will be gone after the season.  ADavis won't be coming.  Probaby means Danny will probably trade Horford to start rebuilding....AGAIN, but our many picks don't look that great anymore. Trader Danny got caught playing it too close to the vest and failed to see the trend in the game of going BACK to the big man, as a key contributor. Grade F, for DA!

Come on.  Ainge is waiting to pull off a deal for the best true big in the league...and has been waiting for this for years.  But he’s a step behind?

Could ainge have done things to make this season better? Probably but accusing him of not realizing true bigs are important isnfrasy. We had horford and Barnes doing great for us last year and we are all in on AD the second we are allowed to trade for him.

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Nothing much to Blame Ainge. non of the buy out would make a big difference.

Stevens on the other hand...
1. timeouts called too late
2. Rozier get too many minutes
3. Brown - not enough
4. no back up plan when 3s are not falling.

I am now all in for AD- whatever it takes.

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
this is soooo a coaching issue... it's not even close.

I do agree we could use some bigs... but we're limited in our options because our coach only wants bigs that can shoot 3's. rebounding and defense aren't important...

ainge has set this team up according to coach's philosophy and brought talent to this team. not sure how we can blame ainge here, unless he's not asking coach "what's the deal!?!?!" if he's sittin here pattin coach on the back then I say he's the problem too.

also, all this talent and all we do is feature morris…?

team is cooked and it started with the coaching philosophy and then he lost the team when he started hayward, everything else is just noise.

as soon as the right people admit this to themselves the sooner this gets fixed.
You say it's a coaching issue but provide no argument for why (or why it's not a player issue).