Author Topic: Cavaliers (9-21) at Celtics (21-7) Game #29 12/27/19  (Read 13401 times)

Re: Cavaliers (9-21) at Celtics (21-7) Game #29 12/27/19
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2019, 10:24:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Who needs Kevin Durant, when we have Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

Becoming pretty glad that we didn't trade Tatum for Davis last year lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2019, 10:50:52 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Great win!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2019, 11:01:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw the game on tape delay.  fantastic seeing both Brown and Tatum have great games on the same night.  handled Thompson and Love on the boards pretty well (not so much handling Love's scoring).  can't wait to see this team at full strength for a good run of games.

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2019, 03:58:33 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
the NBATV announcers kept insinuating that K.Love is rumored to be headed to us for Hayward...any insiders...?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2019, 04:13:42 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
the NBATV announcers kept insinuating that K.Love is rumored to be headed to us for Hayward...any insiders...?

This makes no sense to me at all.

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2019, 05:15:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Thoughts after the game in full (I missed it again, these early morning games are not kind to me lol):

- Stevens has tweaked his offence a bit so that the offensive load between the big 4 (Kemba, Hayward, Brown and Tatum) has become more balanced. I've noticed that Jaylen now has a longer leash to create offence when he has the ball, which has resulted in some huge games for him lately. One more thing about Stevens' offence is that the Celtics have been feeding the hot hand a bit more - Brown was fed a good amount of looks when he scored a flurry of points in the first quarter, ditto for Tatum in the second.

- Kanter's passing is underrated, I noticed him making some really nice feeds to cutters in this game (and even some entry passes when we had a mismatch inside!). It's pretty big for us since Kanter being able to pass unlocks some extra wrinkles for our half court offence and we need every single one of them to keep our offence afloat in the playoffs against elite teams.

- Tatum's help defence is elite. His length, awareness and deceptive quickness allow him to cover large swaths of hardwood to toggle from one threat to another and generate a ton of high value deflections, steals and blocks (they're high value because they stop near surefire baskets for the other team) without needing to gamble for them (gambling for deflections and stocks makes a player bleed considerable amounts of defensive value when they backfire). His man defence has been a positive as well (although it's worth nothing that this is largely due to Boston's scheme of putting him on weaker and smaller perimeter players, he's probably average to slightly above average in a vacuum when it comes to man defence) due to his newfound ability to recover from a blow-by and rack up deflections/stocks.

- Hayward's passing is really additive. He consistently makes passes that no other member of our core 4 can make - high value passes that take advantage of a defence warping due to a player's threat to score/finish, which results in a good amount of open looks. He's the ceiling raiser of our squad's offence and I hope that he can stay healthy for the rest of the year, including the postseason.

- I hope Love can find another competitive squad to spend the last years of his prime on. He has reinvented his offensive game by becoming an incredible shooter to add to his post game- some of the threes he hit against us were crazy for a big man. His defence doesn't look too bad either, he seems to have slimmed down a bit and that has helped with his lateral quickness.

- One underrated aspect about Brown's scoring is how scalable it is. He can score by cutting and weaving off-ball, he can score as a spot up shooter or finisher at the rim and even create his own offence without pounding the ball for an inordinate amount of time. These can all easily mesh with talented teammates who need the ball, making Jaylen's offence even more valuable than it would seem on paper.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

I think one of the guys was saying that the Celtics are small and need some size.  He thought Love's skills of rebounding and outlet passing would add something at a high level that they currently lack.  He thought the Celtics had too many scorers and that Hayward was marginalized.  Also think he said something about the contracts being similar but I'm not sure about that one (that he said it or if it's even true).

I think that's what he was saying.  My kids were talking a lot to me during that segment.

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2019, 07:57:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No they were just saying that the Celtics need to upgrade at the PF/C position and that Kevin Love is rumored to be available and wants a trade. Then talked about how he could help the C's weakness inside. So just speculation not a sourced rumor, didn't get into any of the details in matching salary and draft compensation that Cleveland is demanding for example.

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Worth noting that this was a record-setting low number of pages (7) in a game thread (maybe someone who is better at figuring this out than me can confirm this).  I didn’t post during the game because I was watching with my wife.  Others may have made the very good assumption that this was goIng to be a win so either didn’t watch or had little to say in a blowout. 

I get the feeling this won’t happen tonight vs the Raps.

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Worth noting that this was a record-setting low number of pages (7) in a game thread (maybe someone who is better at figuring this out than me can confirm this).  I didn’t post during the game because I was watching with my wife.  Others may have made the very good assumption that this was goIng to be a win so either didn’t watch or had little to say in a blowout. 

I get the feeling this won’t happen tonight vs the Raps.
Think it had to do with the very strange time of 4:00PM EST. I have seen really low page counts for game threads before for strange game times before. It happens.