Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense  (Read 18044 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I not only praise Semi, but I also praise CBS for seeing this potential in Semi.

In college, he was a fine defender, but nothing particularly special. CBS saw this potential in him. Immediately after the draft, he began talking about his potential to be *cue Brad Stevens voice* really good defender.

CBS threw him to the wolves early in the season and kept playing him in key moments and matchups throughout the entire season, even when many on this blog didn't want him in the game.

That kind of development allowed Semi to play the role he played this playoffs, and hopefully has set him up to be a really good role player in the NBA moving forward.

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I think Horford just  put Semi's contribution where it should have been and every point Horford got was an assist to Semi for taking the workload on guarding Yannis . Horford seemed to have fresher legs at end of game.
Semi now is part of Celtics seventh game history.
It must be difficult for those to admit, that Semi is not a paper athlete with no motor.On a team full of hard workers to be praised as the hardest worker by Al Horford and center stage for all the NBA watchers to hear.
A 37th round pick,a rookie has been instrumental in adding another 7th game series win and that can never be taken away.
Did Semi's defense ust eclipse that of Crowder? It did last night!!!

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think Horford just  put Semi's contribution where it should have been and every point Horford got was an assist to Semi for taking the workload on guarding Yannis . Horford seemed to have fresher legs at end of game.
Semi now is part of Celtics seventh game history.
It must be difficult for those to admit, that Semi is not a paper athlete with no motor.On a team full of hard workers to be praised as the hardest worker by Al Horford and center stage for all the NBA watchers to hear.
A 37th round pick,a rookie has been instrumental in adding another 7th game series win and that can never be taken away.
Did Semi's defense ust eclipse that of Crowder? It did last night!!!
Semi is already better than Crowder, and it happened way before last night.  He just needs better consistency on the shot and he will be an excellent 3-and-D player in this league.

37th round pick, lol.

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2018, 08:30:25 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?

Seriously dude, you should just go hide in a corner.

That "trash" - as you called him - just played 30 minutes and changed the dynamic of the series. He made life tough on a guy who Brad called "un-guardable" and let other guys focus on the offense. Brad flat-out said he's the best defender we have on Giannis and our genius coach had him playing serious minutes in a critical playoff series.

You mouthed off about him then and you still haven't learned a [dang] thing. You don't GET to compliment the guy without first saying that you were wrong. When you call a guy trash you don't get off that easy. Say you were wrong, take your medicine and then you can clamber aboard the Semi bandwagon. Until then your trash comment will be raised every single time this subject comes up.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2018, 08:33:20 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Horford said last night that without Semi we don't win the series. Nuff said!

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
wonder who Semi will defend on Philly ?

If Jaylen can’t go, I assume Semi starts again.

In the regular season, Al guarded Simmons and we put another big on Embiid. I wonder what Semi would do guarding Simmons... Simmons is similar in height and another freak athlete but a different game. He’s more fluid as a ballhandler and is looking to go around you rather than banging and backing you down. You also want to depend on help as little as possible because Simmons is such a good passer. The major similarity, though, is that neither Giannis nor Simmons can shoot, and Semi showed a lot of foot speed and genius positioning when he cut off drives. I’m sure he’ll spend at least some time on Simmons, if only after switches. Be interesting to see if he can stop penetration.

The other possibility might be Saric.

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?

That "trash" - as you called him - just played 30 minutes and changed the dynamic of the series. He made life tough on a guy who Brad called "un-guardable" and let other guys focus on the offense. Brad flat-out said he's the best defender we have on Giannis and our genius coach had him playing serious minutes in a critical playoff series.

You mouthed off about him then and you still haven't learned a [dang] thing. You don't GET to compliment the guy without first saying that you were wrong. When you call a guy trash you don't get off that easy. Say you were wrong, take your medicine and then you can clamber aboard the Semi bandwagon. Until then your trash comment will be raised every single time this subject comes up.

Why? I still don't think he's good. Unless he improves his offense and isn't a liability on the floor I'll maintain the same opinion. I admit he's a very good Giannis defender because GA plays to his strengths - can't really shoot, has the size but not the strength to take advantage of him inside. That said, there are reasons why you can't really put Semi on a Middleton regardless of how hot a player like he is. I expect him to be pretty effective on Simmons too, since it's another player that plays to his strengths, although Simmons has a quicker first step than Giannis. However, to think a player is good simply because he matches up well on one end, while giving you nothing on the other end, would be akin to thinking Kite was good because he played Abdul-Jabbar tough.

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Greg Kite on Jabbar-how about Cowens.
Semi has elite lateral and lane agility and elite sprint
Semi has elite strength and defensive footwork, stance and frame
Semi back peddles well
Semi has elite vertical
Semi weighs 235 lbs of muscle
You once called him a paper athlete but it was chronicled at Combine now the NBA playoffs
He should match up well against Simmons who has not run up often with the combination that semi possesses and then Simmons lack of outside jump shot game.
Semi will work all off season on his offensive game-32% from three there have been much worse as a rookie.
This guy just kept us in the playoffs complimented by his Coach his teammates  what is your problem.

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2018, 04:56:15 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Why? I still don't think he's good. Unless he improves his offense and isn't a liability on the floor I'll maintain the same opinion. I admit he's a very good Giannis defender because GA plays to his strengths - can't really shoot, has the size but not the strength to take advantage of him inside. That said, there are reasons why you can't really put Semi on a Middleton regardless of how hot a player like he is. I expect him to be pretty effective on Simmons too, since it's another player that plays to his strengths, although Simmons has a quicker first step than Giannis. However, to think a player is good simply because he matches up well on one end, while giving you nothing on the other end, would be akin to thinking Kite was good because he played Abdul-Jabbar tough.

Soooo..... He’s useful trash?

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2018, 03:05:05 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

It's creepy that you would bring up posts between me and other users that you weren't a part of, especially when you're making false claims. I posted about our Mock Deadline here in response to posters who know how to be respectful and have a conversation. It was just a fun talking piece. Since you're incapable of having that, I understand why you're getting confused.

As for Semi, I am very happy we have him at the end of the bench. His defense on Giannis helped us win this series. Certainly no reason for any sane Celtics fan to call him a bum. But you strike me as more of a just a troll.

You made an idiotic comment/comparison so it really stood out. Remembered reading it and thinking you didn't really know what you're talking about.

As for Semi, yeah, I just don't think he's a very good player. Not sure why you consider that "trolling", unless of course a difference of opinion makes one a troll in your eyes. All benches are full of bad players and unless he becomes more than just a one trick pony that's a disaster offensively, I'll continue to have the same mindset regardless of what you may think, fantasy basketball trade examples notwithstanding.
No, I made a comment on a Celtics fans message board that was about a trade proposal. That's what this website is for. It's not here to call the players who just helped win us a series bums. It's not to here to seek out arguments and continue to argue until you ruin a thread.

But go ahead, keep calling the guy who just helped your "favorite" team win a series trash. That is why you're either a troll or just a pathetic exuse of a "fan", if you'd even call it that lol.

Hey, kettle meet pot, since your first post in this thread was about me even after I had complimented the guy.

There is no compliment there. Still searching. I guess the best you could come up with was "I gave him credit last game, but...". It's time to eat crow on the pathetic thread you made that was pitiful at the time, and only looks worse. It reminds me of the "Are there any Rozier fans left?" thread, except yours had unnecessary insults with even less insight. People will continue to bring it up as long you continue to act like this. Just like I did, and Tarheels, and Granath, etc. A lot different than you trying to bring up a conversation you weren't a part of or a post that you couldn't understand lol.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2018, 04:20:18 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I not only praise Semi, but I also praise CBS for seeing this potential in Semi.

In college, he was a fine defender, but nothing particularly special. CBS saw this potential in him. Immediately after the draft, he began talking about his potential to be *cue Brad Stevens voice* really good defender.

CBS threw him to the wolves early in the season and kept playing him in key moments and matchups throughout the entire season, even when many on this blog didn't want him in the game.

That kind of development allowed Semi to play the role he played this playoffs, and hopefully has set him up to be a really good role player in the NBA moving forward.

And Ainge too

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2018, 04:28:11 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Semi has done a fine job on Giannis but the Freak still had 31 points on 23 shots last night. We're not talking about the value of shutting down the opposition's best player we're talking about the value of playing him as well as anyone else but where he still puts up MVP numbers.

If that's the case, I need to see more than 1 FGA in 21 minutes. Maybe he was told "Don't worry about shooting" but if you're on the court, you're a basketball player. I'd like to see Semi try a little more than what we've seen.

That's the conundrum, though.

Does Semi's defense that has "limited" Giannis to 23.5 PPG, 12 RPG, 6.5 APG, on 54.5% over his 2 starts outweigh his series averages of 1.7 PPG on disastrous shooting (FG% 23.1 - 3PT% 22.2)?

I'd say it's worth it, slow down to centerpiece of their offense

It just isn't that simple.  Giannis can/will get his numbers but I believe the other players will determine whether or not the Bucks win.  The Freak has been a minus in the box score for 4 out of the 6 games in the series.  His most efficient game was our biggest blow out win. 

Middleton and Parker cannot BOTH impact the game like they have recently.  The Middleton part is more difficult to control because he makes tough shots routinely.  He's a winning player IMO.  The best we can do is force him take a bunch of tough shots. 

As for Parker, his presence off the bench has made things very difficult for the Celtics.  Mediocre defense aside, Parker gives the Bucks another weapon who can score in different ways.  He's been a significant positive since game 2.  They always seem to go on some sort of run when he is in the game.

At the end of the day we can survive Giannis getting 30+ points.  Hopefully the Celtics hold Middleton to something similar to his game 5 performance.

It is indeed not that simple, but if you were to ask me about the math of limiting a star player versus having a zero on offense on the other end (the question posed by the OP), I'd say, generally speaking, in this case, it's worth it.

Another thing to factor in this, I reckon, is that Semi reduces the upside (for the Bucks, downside for us) possibility of Giannis going nuts for 40+ points and getting supernova hot.

Also, Smart being back in seems to have slowed down Middleton just a bit (haven't been able to watch closely, but been following a bit through reports and comments on the series). He also defended Jabari...which is such a "Smart" thing to do...

To add to this, Semi also provides another solid body to switch on defense, when they try to get the mismatch with Giannis.

Not sure where the equilibrium is, in terms of stopping opposing stars and stopping opposing secondary pieces - seems Brad got it right though. Hopefully this continues to work out into the next series with the 6'ers - whose star players are eerily similar to the Bucks' cast of stars.

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2018, 04:38:15 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Semi has done a fine job on Giannis but the Freak still had 31 points on 23 shots last night. We're not talking about the value of shutting down the opposition's best player we're talking about the value of playing him as well as anyone else but where he still puts up MVP numbers.

If that's the case, I need to see more than 1 FGA in 21 minutes. Maybe he was told "Don't worry about shooting" but if you're on the court, you're a basketball player. I'd like to see Semi try a little more than what we've seen.

That's the conundrum, though.

Does Semi's defense that has "limited" Giannis to 23.5 PPG, 12 RPG, 6.5 APG, on 54.5% over his 2 starts outweigh his series averages of 1.7 PPG on disastrous shooting (FG% 23.1 - 3PT% 22.2)?

I'd say it's worth it, slow down to centerpiece of their offense

It just isn't that simple.  Giannis can/will get his numbers but I believe the other players will determine whether or not the Bucks win.  The Freak has been a minus in the box score for 4 out of the 6 games in the series.  His most efficient game was our biggest blow out win. 

Middleton and Parker cannot BOTH impact the game like they have recently.  The Middleton part is more difficult to control because he makes tough shots routinely.  He's a winning player IMO.  The best we can do is force him take a bunch of tough shots. 

As for Parker, his presence off the bench has made things very difficult for the Celtics.  Mediocre defense aside, Parker gives the Bucks another weapon who can score in different ways.  He's been a significant positive since game 2.  They always seem to go on some sort of run when he is in the game.

At the end of the day we can survive Giannis getting 30+ points.  Hopefully the Celtics hold Middleton to something similar to his game 5 performance.

It is indeed not that simple, but if you were to ask me about the math of limiting a star player versus having a zero on offense on the other end (the question posed by the OP), I'd say, generally speaking, in this case, it's worth it.

Another thing to factor in this, I reckon, is that Semi reduces the upside (for the Bucks, downside for us) possibility of Giannis going nuts for 40+ points and getting supernova hot.

Also, Smart being back in seems to have slowed down Middleton just a bit (haven't been able to watch closely, but been following a bit through reports and comments on the series). He also defended Jabari...which is such a "Smart" thing to do...

To add to this, Semi also provides another solid body to switch on defense, when they try to get the mismatch with Giannis.

Not sure where the equilibrium is, in terms of stopping opposing stars and stopping opposing secondary pieces - seems Brad got it right though. Hopefully this continues to work out into the next series with the 6'ers - whose star players are eerily similar to the Bucks' cast of stars.

I think that normally, you'd prefer more offense over Semi's defense and zero offense. However, when the alternative are guys like Nader, Larkin, I'd take Semi.

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2018, 05:54:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It's creepy that you would bring up posts between me and other users that you weren't a part of, especially when you're making false claims. I posted about our Mock Deadline here in response to posters who know how to be respectful and have a conversation. It was just a fun talking piece. Since you're incapable of having that, I understand why you're getting confused.

As for Semi, I am very happy we have him at the end of the bench. His defense on Giannis helped us win this series. Certainly no reason for any sane Celtics fan to call him a bum. But you strike me as more of a just a troll.

You made an idiotic comment/comparison so it really stood out. Remembered reading it and thinking you didn't really know what you're talking about.

As for Semi, yeah, I just don't think he's a very good player. Not sure why you consider that "trolling", unless of course a difference of opinion makes one a troll in your eyes. All benches are full of bad players and unless he becomes more than just a one trick pony that's a disaster offensively, I'll continue to have the same mindset regardless of what you may think, fantasy basketball trade examples notwithstanding.
No, I made a comment on a Celtics fans message board that was about a trade proposal. That's what this website is for. It's not here to call the players who just helped win us a series bums. It's not to here to seek out arguments and continue to argue until you ruin a thread.

But go ahead, keep calling the guy who just helped your "favorite" team win a series trash. That is why you're either a troll or just a pathetic exuse of a "fan", if you'd even call it that lol.

Hey, kettle meet pot, since your first post in this thread was about me even after I had complimented the guy.

There is no compliment there. Still searching. I guess the best you could come up with was "I gave him credit last game, but...". It's time to eat crow on the pathetic thread you made that was pitiful at the time, and only looks worse. It reminds me of the "Are there any Rozier fans left?" thread, except yours had unnecessary insults with even less insight. People will continue to bring it up as long you continue to act like this. Just like I did, and Tarheels, and Granath, etc. A lot different than you trying to bring up a conversation you weren't a part of or a post that you couldn't understand lol.

I see that attention to detail and reading comprehension aren't exactly your strong points, 1st page on this thread, post #8.

Are you still with that stupid fantasy trade thing? Not even the intended recipient had any idea what you meant by that.

Thats your team? Those two? lol Talk about the gang that can't shoot straight.

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2018, 06:52:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Getting these kinds of minutes and production in the playoffs from a rookie 2nd rounder -sensational!
And he is just getting started, since we are entering the Conference SEMI finals!
"The joy of the balling under the rims."