Author Topic: All Star Reserves  (Read 11194 times)

Re: All Star Reserves
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2024, 02:10:51 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4598
Brown is now a 3x all-star, Tatum a 5x all-star.

Only Celtics players in last 30 years to make 3 or more all star teams:

Antoine Walker, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown

Remember the "Danny has never drafted an All Star" haters?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2024, 02:13:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

Antoine Walker, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown

Remember the "Danny has never drafted an All Star" haters?

It was always an indefensible position, as it required a lack of NBA knowledge to not believe Ainge drafted Rondo.

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2024, 03:53:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
If past behavior is any indication the all star injury replacements in the East will likely be 2 of Porzingis, Butler, Young and White. Adam Silver usually picks players who finished next highest or closes to it in the fan/player/media voting. Those four were next highest overall in their positional groups.

My guess? Young and Porzingis.

Trae Young because he actually finished ahead of Maxey in the guard group but still didn't make it and has arguably been snubbed 3x in last 4 years. Porzingis because he's been better than Butler, played about the same minutes as him, and Celtics are #1 in East, and picking two guards to replace two forwards seems weird. Giving a second guy to the Heat who are around .500 would be strange.

Beyon those four I suppose you could argue for Barnes on Toronto, Siakam on Pacers, or Jarret Allen on the Cavs (he's been awesome since Garland/Mobley injuries). That's about it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 04:05:46 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2024, 08:11:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
If past behavior is any indication the all star injury replacements in the East will likely be 2 of Porzingis, Butler, Young and White. Adam Silver usually picks players who finished next highest or closes to it in the fan/player/media voting. Those four were next highest overall in their positional groups.

My guess? Young and Porzingis.

Trae Young because he actually finished ahead of Maxey in the guard group but still didn't make it and has arguably been snubbed 3x in last 4 years. Porzingis because he's been better than Butler, played about the same minutes as him, and Celtics are #1 in East, and picking two guards to replace two forwards seems weird. Giving a second guy to the Heat who are around .500 would be strange.

Beyon those four I suppose you could argue for Barnes on Toronto, Siakam on Pacers, or Jarret Allen on the Cavs (he's been awesome since Garland/Mobley injuries). That's about it.
I have read a decent amount of all star snub articles and butler hasn’t been mentioned in any of them. He hasn’t been that great and has also missed a lot of time. Plus his team already has an all star and they are about .500
I thought this article was pretty fair https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-all-star-snubs-deaaron-fox-derrick-white-have-biggest-beefs-trae-young-could-replace-julius-randle/amp/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 09:58:37 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2024, 08:20:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Trae Young because he actually finished ahead of Maxey in the guard group but still didn't make it and has arguably been snubbed 3x in last 4 years.

Trae Young hasn't made the All-Star Game 3 out of the last 4 years? That is insane. He is one of the best offensive players in the league. Maybe top 5 certainly top 10 offensive players in the league.

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2024, 11:45:21 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Anyone else find it hilarious that Doc Rivers may be coaching the Eastern conference in the ASG?

As soon as he came back into the NBA, he gets an immediate coaching spot for the ASG hahaha

Absolutely hilarious. Will be even funnier if he coaches and he has a losing record. Would be cool if Thibs got it tbh. He has done a really good job this year I think (aside from playing OG too many minutes)

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2024, 12:14:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I kind of hope neither Porzingis or White make it.  I want to keep the "no one believes in us" attitude going.

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2024, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
I kind of hope neither Porzingis or White make it.  I want to keep the "no one believes in us" attitude going.

I feel like we can’t root against Derrick white making it. It’s also not really that strenous

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2024, 06:07:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3036
  • On To Banner 18!
Trae Young should absolutely make it. Say what you want about his game/limitations but he's put up awesome stats and has been worthy of making it the last two seasons. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2024, 06:18:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Trae Young should absolutely make it. Say what you want about his game/limitations but he's put up awesome stats and has been worthy of making it the last two seasons.

I agree. I get his defense is bad and his team is mediocre at best, but at some point 27 and 11 every night has to be good enough, especially when the back end of the East isn't loaded.

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2024, 06:21:35 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Trae Young because he actually finished ahead of Maxey in the guard group but still didn't make it and has arguably been snubbed 3x in last 4 years.

Trae Young hasn't made the All-Star Game 3 out of the last 4 years? That is insane. He is one of the best offensive players in the league. Maybe top 5 certainly top 10 offensive players in the league.

25 points and 9 assists in 2021, didn't make it.
26 points and 10 assists in 2023, didn't make it.
27 points and 11 assists in 2024, hasn't made it yet.

Again, his defense is awful. But he moves the needle on offense.

I very much hope Derick White makes it, but I kind of think it should;d be Trae.

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2024, 07:35:57 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Doesn't top 10 offensive player and bottom 10 defensive player average out to a middle of the road player....I'm joking but the overall point is valid.  I hate that the league values offense so much higher than defense.  Lillard is a better player than Holliday  overall, but by how much.  Offensively the difference is huge.  Defensively it is huge the other way. Overall it is at least close, and Holliday came much cheaper both in assets and in salary.

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2024, 09:09:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Offense is more important than defense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2024, 10:58:33 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup

Some really good company. 

Man, Antoine is still one of the great "what ifs".  Frustrating one to think about.

I wouldn't have guessed Rondo made 3 All Star Games
Yup

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2024, 12:52:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Some really good company. 

Man, Antoine is still one of the great "what ifs".  Frustrating one to think about.

I wouldn't have guessed Rondo made 3 All Star Games

He actually made four.