Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 64032 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »

Offline designmao

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
long time lurker. laker fan. will follow where and when this forum moves.

« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2018, 07:02:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I realize the sample size in this thread is small, but how do people generally feel about accessing the forum on mobile?

Works well enough? Do you stick to desktop?

Would a native app excite you if it was easier to use? Worth $0.99?
I use mobile 99% of the time. Works fine

Likewise.  I have zero problems with how the forums work on my iPhone, which is from where I overwhelmingly use the site.

There is another forum-type site that I use which had a native app, but I preferred just viewing the regular site.  Ultimately they discontinued the (free) app after a recent site redesign.

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I realize the sample size in this thread is small, but how do people generally feel about accessing the forum on mobile?

Likewise.  I have zero problems with how the forums work on my iPhone, which is from where I overwhelmingly use the site.

There is another forum-type site that I use which had a native app, but I preferred just viewing the regular site.  Ultimately they discontinued the (free) app after a recent site redesign.

You should try accessing a forum-type site on my old samsung.

I can use FB, discord and reddit fairly well on it btw.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, the reason I mention this is bcs I think it is relevant to the decline of forums esp. with young ppl. If you can discuss the nba on discord (not just texting, but also sending images, listening to music or using voice chat) why even bother with a forum where you need 10 secs just to click on the "reply" button.

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

You should try accessing a forum-type site on my old samsung.

I can use FB, discord and reddit fairly well on it btw.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, the reason I mention this is bcs I think it is relevant to the decline of forums esp. with young ppl. If you can discuss the nba on discord (not just texting, but also sending images, listening to music or using voice chat) why even bother with a forum where you need 10 secs just to click on the "reply" button.
Yeah, the trends are pretty undeniable overall. This is definitely more about keeping this particular community together than investing in the future of forums per se.

That said, sometimes there are niches that buck a trend. This forum had its biggest year in terms of traffic last year. Holding the line with decent mobile access can help with that.

It will be an interesting ride, but my half-full view is that a soft relaunch at least opens some paths forward, whereas there's a bit of a lame duck situation under current circumstances.

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

That's very brave.

I got kicked from a Philly server on the spot despite having discussed it with the mods in advance (and having no interest in the Philly-Boston rivarly as I'm Greek).

The mods here are better than this for sure. I think you ll be welcome.

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2018, 07:42:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Same. While I prefer my laptop for game threads and longer posts, most of the time I’m on my iPhone on here. The bigger screens with the iPhone 6+ and newer versions make browsing much easier, at least to me.

« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2018, 08:04:02 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
The last few phones I've had (back to Samsung S6) have worked very well with the forum. I have an S8 now (5.8 screen, I'd imagine the S8+ or notes would be even better) and even with massive hands, it is the primary way I use this site. As potter outlined above, short of game threads, I never go on this site on a computer. The only issue I ever run into is lag (totally not on my end.) So I honestly dont think the mobile aspect of this site is an issue. The ability to quickly zoom via touch screen completely eliminates any potential issues with small problematic links.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:13:59 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

Welcome! I live in Southern California, so I know what its like to be surrounded by the enemy =).

You don't happen to frequent any Lakers forums?

« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
The last few phones I've had (back to Samsung S6) have worked very well with the forum. I have an S8 now (5.8 screen, I'd imagine the S8+ or notes would be even better) and even with massive hands, it is the primary way I use this site. As potter outlined above, short of game threads, I never go on this site on a computer. The only issue I ever run into is lag (totally not on my end.) So I honestly dont think the mobile aspect of this site is an issue. The ability to quickly zoom via touch screen completely eliminates any potential issues with small problematic links.

That's great news. I personally use the site mostly on desktop, which is sort of odd because I'm a heavy iPhone user, but likely because I work at my laptop most of the day.

« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Tough luck that we definitively found out about this only a month prior to D-Day.  Is it safe to assume there will be a gap in time between said shutdown and opening of a new forum site?  Just trying to plan for the crater-sized void in my life.   :D
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Tough luck that we definitively found out about this only a month prior to D-Day.  Is it safe to assume there will be a gap in time between said shutdown and opening of a new forum site?  Just trying to plan for the crater-sized void in my life.   :D

TBD but trying to avoid a gap if at all possible.

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

TBD but trying to avoid a gap if at all possible.

We appreciate the heck out of your efforts. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »

Offline designmao

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

That's very brave.

I got kicked from a Philly server on the spot despite having discussed it with the mods in advance (and having no interest in the Philly-Boston rivarly as I'm Greek).

The mods here are better than this for sure. I think you ll be welcome.

Discussions here are about far more than Celtics basketball, which I really like. Had gotten breaking news about current events here.

Welcome! I live in Southern California, so I know what its like to be surrounded by the enemy =).

You don't happen to frequent any Lakers forums?

Thanks! i do, silverscreenandroll, and an old latimes lakerblog years before

« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2018, 08:47:32 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
CBF is almost always one of my tabs at the top of my screen, I type with 2 fingers so the Tech stuff is out of the Question,('m a Contractor) BUT, I'm all in, just say ,Where,When and How Much.            To me It will be like going to Heaven, It's just moving day! lol, on another note, I've learned more about all things Basketball here than playing or being a Celts fan all my life. THIS IS A GREAT COMMUNITY OF INTERESTING KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE! Let's keep it going!

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2018, 09:18:20 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thanks to you guys working to keep our technological bond together!

Please seek moral support at any and all times!

I am sure we can gather gifts, trophies and even tickets, but heroism has no price tag....will FLcelts still do game threads? Please? I hate change.,