Author Topic: Darius Miles to Portland?  (Read 5719 times)

Darius Miles to Portland?
« on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline chunnamark

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Here's a dumb question. Could Portland trade for Miles, then bench him so they don't have to pay him the full amount of his previous contract? :o

Re: Darius Miles to Portland?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:42:26 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Here's a dumb question. Could Portland trade for Miles, then bench him so they don't have to pay him the full amount of his previous contract? :o

They could, although the Celtics would have to wait a certain amount of days after signing him.  But if that actually went down, it would make both the Celtics and Blazers look really bad.  But either way, Miles still gets all of they money from his previous contract.  I think you mean so the money still won't count against the cap.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
the absolute only way that would happen is if all three parties were in agreement.  Would the Blazers give Miles a million dollars more just so his initial contract doesn't count against the cap?  Would Miles decide that he doesn't want to play and take the money?     

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
that's a funny concept.  I had this vision of Ainge playing Miles 9 games and then calling up the Blazers and saying, "So I hear you might need to renounce the rights of Channing Frye, Steve Blake, Travis Outlaw, Ike Diogu and Martell Webster in order to get sufficiently under the cap.   Hmmmm....  you have a bunch of desirable young talent who will probably be renounced anyways... we got Darius Miles with 9 games under his belt... what say you we make a deal, mmm?

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline sully00

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
I don't think the idea of trading Miles back to POR is an option but it wouldn't shock me if Ainge suggested that if POR would trade him Pryz for Scal and a couple of young guys that Darius might not make the team.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I was thinking about this same thing the other day. I think it's devilishly ingenious idea. Ultimately, it borders on extortion, but....it makes you wonder. Assuming a scenario like that were even possible or legal, I'm sure Portland would do it if they could prevent him from playing the 10 games. I don't think of Ainge as being THAT devious, but in the name of business, I could see Ainge doing it as well. Like others have noted, the big question would be whether Miles would be down with it. Although he may not have a choice - at least initially.

The bigger problem would be what Miles does when his new non-guaranteed contract expires (in what, a year?). I'd assume that he'd be an unrestricted FA at that point. All it would take would be Miles signing with another team and playing that 10th game and Portland would have done everything for nothing. They'd get totally hosed. Not only would Miles' salary be on the books, but they would have lost whatever young talent they sent to Boston in the deal to get Miles back.

The more I think about it, the more dubious it sounds...

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The thing would smack of collusion and I'm sure Miles would win a substantial pay off if such an act occurred. Preventing the man from trying to earn a living would be an easy case for any lawyer to make.

At least I think so.

Hope Roy chimes in on this.

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The thing would smack of collusion and I'm sure Miles would win a substantial pay off if such an act occurred. Preventing the man from trying to earn a living would be an easy case for any lawyer to make.

At least I think so.

I'm sure the league office would investigate on the grounds of collusion.

But, I'm under the impression that Miles is still drawing a paycheck from the Blazers. His salary doesn't count against their luxury cap, but I think he is still on their payroll. I could be wrong though.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:36:09 PM »

Offline Hondo to Rondo

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I'm not so sure that Portland will trade for then bench Miles, though I suspect we may not want the guy either.

I do think he's a tremendous bargaining chip, because we can play him ten games--screwing Portland's salary cap situation and costing them millions--then let him go for Cassell (waiting in the wings).

Portland might just be coerced into an Outlaw for Scalabrine deal of some sort:  Scalabrine and 8 million a year for Outlaw?

I wouldn't put it past danny to use Miles as a trade tool.
"I hope y'all realize this:  with Larry ... one or two little moves, and we're ready to go!"  --Red Auerbach

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm not so sure that Portland will trade for then bench Miles, though I suspect we may not want the guy either.

I do think he's a tremendous bargaining chip, because we can play him ten games--screwing Portland's salary cap situation and costing them millions--then let him go for Cassell (waiting in the wings).

Portland might just be coerced into an Outlaw for Scalabrine deal of some sort:  Scalabrine and 8 million a year for Outlaw?

I wouldn't put it past danny to use Miles as a trade tool.
If we were to play Miles 10 games and then cut him that would look pretty bad for Danny.

Also I don't know if I would do that deal.  If Miles can return to his pre-injury form then he is a better player than Outlaw.  Also I don't think Portland could just bench him for the whole season.  I doubt they would get away with that.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
Well, when this signing happened, that was pretty much the first thing that hit my mind.  Leverage for a future trade with Portland (or punishment for a past one...)

As for it being extortion/collusion...really? As long as its within the terms of the contract, I don't see how.  It can't be considering them preventing him from work when it was their option to hire him in the first place.  I also don't see how it reflects poorly on anyone.  Players are regularly used a chips in trading scenarios, and it has little to do with their on court abilities.

I hope Roy chimes in on this too.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do."¯ - Franklin

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 11:57:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

At least I think so.

As for it being extortion/collusion...really? As long as its within the terms of the contract, I don't see how.  It can't be considering them preventing him from work when it was their option to hire him in the first place.  I also don't see how it reflects poorly on anyone.  Players are regularly used a chips in trading scenarios, and it has little to do with their on court abilities.

I hope Roy chimes in on this too.

I'm not sure about collusion, because there you'd have to show that the Celtics were conspiring to keep Miles from work.  In that scenario, I think the Celtics would have a very defensible position:  "We gave him a contract, had every intention of playing him up to his abilities, and only traded him because Portland gave up a legit asset for him".

Miles' may very well have cause for a grievance against Portland, though.  He could argue that Portland was in bad faith interfering with his ability to showcase his future earning potential.  The Player's Association would no doubt make a huge stink about it, and the league may punish Portland for its attempt to circumvent the CBA by acquiring a player it had no intention of playing.

I don't think Portland would try to get that cute with things.  I think it would have potential for getting them in trouble with the league.  Perhaps more importantly, I think it would make them look *really* bad with the players, much like a team in baseball that sits a player so that he doesn't hit certain performance bonuses.  That loss of good will isn't worth the $8 million or so in space Portland would get under the cap.

(Also, I think there's a very good shot that the Commish would veto any trade of Outlaw for Miles.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 12:41:08 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

At least I think so.

I'm sure the league office would investigate on the grounds of collusion.

But, I'm under the impression that Miles is still drawing a paycheck from the Blazers. His salary doesn't count against their luxury cap, but I think he is still on their payroll. I could be wrong though.

It's the union that would complain on his behalf if it seems he wasn't getting being played just so the insurance would cover his salary. More importantly, the insurance company would probably investigate that.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58:04 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The Blazers are now a very profitabled team to own doubtless the the money they owe Miles matters naught.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 01:28:36 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The idea of Scal+Miles for Travis Outlaw...I can see hope in this trade for a few reasons (and ifs)

1.) Outlaw wouldn't be fighting a player that he says he's equal to, but obviously thinks he's better than, b/c he would be easily outplayed by Pierce for the starting role.
2.) We get rid of Scal plus Miles to earn 1 better healthy player so we can keep Cassell AND Pruitt(for the future)
3.) Here's the "IF". Say Portland takes Miles, then the 9 million that they'd being paying him he could at least earn it on their squad. Unlike Outlaw, Miles will do whatever it takes to prove his worth to a franchise again. I know he will never get 9+ mil again, but still maybe mid level exception money for some years possibly.

I do feel that this trade is a way too early, and I wouldn't put this trade past Danny, as anything to benefit the franchise, don't be surprised to see it happen. "IF" Miles proves his worth, but doesn't fit in enough to be more valuable than Outlaw and ridding ourselves of Scal's contract, then we gain a shot blocking 3 point shooting Outlaw. With the early shine coming out of Bill Walker and the possibility of Giddens being good, then we might not need Miles in that role as much. Plus with Outlaw over Miles, if Pierce/Ray get hurt, we have a dependable player in Outlaw to more than willingly take the minutes, or have a rookie slide in to start and Outlaw play more backup minutes.

And one other side note, not that getting rid of Pruitt is my concern, but what about if Portland threw in the rights to Steven Hill "IF" this trade happened? I watched him some at Arkansas, and the guy clogs the lanes and will block a ton of shots with his long arms. I know he's not experienced, but he is a 7' shot blocker, and another big to throw at players like Duncan, Wallace, Ilgauskaus, Gasol/Bynum.
Can't stop, Rondo!