Author Topic: Darius Miles and Scalabrine for Joel Przybilla  (Read 9513 times)

Re: Darius Miles and Scalabrine for Joel Przybilla
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
scal career avg.  3.5 ppg  2.5 rpg   D Miles 10.5 ppg 5.5 rpg

Przybill  4.0 ppg  5.9 rpg    Is that really that funny?   Did I miss Joel morphing into Michael Jordon since he plays out west.  Maybe I am not watching enough Mad TV.  Or come to think of it maybe you are watching too much.  The point of the thread is the potential leverage, if any, in keeping D Miles of the blazers books for 18 mil!
Joel Przybilla averaged 8.3rpg in 23 minutes a night. He pulled down 21% of available rebounds while on the court which ranked him as the third best rebounder in the league last year. Over the last two months of the season his minutes moved up to 28 minutes per game and he pulled down 11rpg in that time. He's an excellent rebounder. Przybilla is also a very good interior defender, a good shot-blocker and a top notch post defender. Add in the 5ppg on nearly 60% shooting, smart player, solid passer. He's a big man who knows his business and can play his role. Overall he is a truly excellent role player.

As to the trade, there's no leverage, there's nothing here that Portland would be willing to give up a valuable piece over. They're paying out the $18mil regardless of whether Miles plays again, the only difference is whether it counts on their cap. There's simply not enough here for them to give up a valuable piece to their puzzle.

Actually, Who, I believe they do have something to gain. I believe that insurance is paying Miles' 18 mil as long as he is too hurt to play. If he's fit to play, Portland has to pay it. It's Miles who gets it either way, regardless of the source.
You sure that the insurance company doesn't pay anyway? He's already been declared unfit to play. I would have considered that contract finished with now.

You could very well be right. I don't know.

That technically is right, but give me a break. There's no surer way to LOSE the insurance than to trade for Miles. Aren't the Blazers then implying he CAN play? We all agree about Pryzbilla's value...

Any even halfway decent loss adjuster would look at that trade and cry "fraud" - voiding the contract, and causing the Blazers to have to pay the balance of it to Miles.

The contract of a player who, by the way, that organization hates.

This trade would never happen.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Where's Redz and Roy Hobbs when you need them? There's no positive solution here for Portland. They obviously didn't want Miles, and tried everything they could to keep teams from signing him by making it widely known that his injury was classified as "career ending". No matter what trade or whatever is done, Portland is going to pay Darius Miles 9 million for each of the next two seasons. If he plays in Boston for 10 games, Portland pays. If we trade him and Portland waives him, Portland pays. If we trade him and he sits on the bench as inactive, the Player's Union or whoever will call "foul play", Portland would look like bad guys, and they would still pay. The last possibility would be we trade him after a few months and assuming that he proves himself as a productive bench player, then maybe Portland would call us for that trade in December. That way Portland would actually get productivity for that 18 million.

As for someone saying Pruitt is to be cut...I just don't see that. House can't be our backup PG all the time. My argument is that Miles talent wise is better than Scalabrine. Our only hope is to trade him anywhere that would take him; from this trade we could hope for a C, but if not, look for a draft pick, OR take whoever, waive them, and take PJ Brown back in December.
The team would look like championship material again for sure.
#1-12 for playoff roster

1Rondo, 6House, Pruitt
2Ray, 7Tony, 12Giddens
3Pierce, 8Miles, Walker
4KG, 9Powe, BBD
5Perk, 10Pat'0, 11PJ

Pruitt could spend another year in the NBDL, along with Walker and/or Giddens.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would do this deal in a hearbeat...but again, Portland would not.
And I do echo with some of you when I say, I am at least somewhat intrigued with Darius Miles.

If he does pan out, he would kick some serious you know what.
It's just the "if" that worries me.

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
scal career avg.  3.5 ppg  2.5 rpg   D Miles 10.5 ppg 5.5 rpg

Przybill  4.0 ppg  5.9 rpg    Is that really that funny?   Did I miss Joel morphing into Michael Jordon since he plays out west.  Maybe I am not watching enough Mad TV.  Or come to think of it maybe you are watching too much.  The point of the thread is the potential leverage, if any, in keeping D Miles of the blazers books for 18 mil!
Joel Przybilla averaged 8.3rpg in 23 minutes a night. He pulled down 21% of available rebounds while on the court which ranked him as the third best rebounder in the league last year. Over the last two months of the season his minutes moved up to 28 minutes per game and he pulled down 11rpg in that time. He's an excellent rebounder. Przybilla is also a very good interior defender, a good shot-blocker and a top notch post defender. Add in the 5ppg on nearly 60% shooting, smart player, solid passer. He's a big man who knows his business and can play his role. Overall he is a truly excellent role player.

As to the trade, there's no leverage, there's nothing here that Portland would be willing to give up a valuable piece over. They're paying out the $18mil regardless of whether Miles plays again, the only difference is whether it counts on their cap. There's simply not enough here for them to give up a valuable piece to their puzzle.

Actually, Who, I believe they do have something to gain. I believe that insurance is paying Miles' 18 mil as long as he is too hurt to play. If he's fit to play, Portland has to pay it. It's Miles who gets it either way, regardless of the source.
You sure that the insurance company doesn't pay anyway? He's already been declared unfit to play. I would have considered that contract finished with now.

You could very well be right. I don't know.

That technically is right, but give me a break. There's no surer way to LOSE the insurance than to trade for Miles. Aren't the Blazers then implying he CAN play? We all agree about Pryzbilla's value...

Any even halfway decent loss adjuster would look at that trade and cry "fraud" - voiding the contract, and causing the Blazers to have to pay the balance of it to Miles.

The contract of a player who, by the way, that organization hates.

This trade would never happen.

Good stuff, Who and jaketwice.  My thoughts exactly.  TPs.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 02:20:51 AM »

Offline 2008CELTICS17

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Come on guys. I would do a deal with Portland. For Martell Webster! Deal 3 players for this guy! Scals,miles,and pruitt or a rookie! This guy would replace posey! Look at his numbers. Also hes a young stud. 22 years old. Better numbers then Posey.

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 05:14:19 PM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
2 things,

1)If the blazers wanted anything at all to do with Miles, they wouldn't have released him. They had to plan for him getting a contract, so they're on the hook for his cap hit anyways.

2)Greg Oden is coming off of a major injury. Pryzbilla played 45% of the available minutes at the center. He's as good a backup C as there is in the league, and he was the most used center they had last season. Oden is their guy, but they're not letting Pryzbilla walk for a guy they don't want, and a guy they don't want.

yes he is why is that  :o

are you impliying they dont want Scal?  ;)

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 12:19:32 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Just b/c of the money that Przybilla makes, there's noway to get him unless we traded a higher paid player like Tony Allen plus Scal and someone else. In that case there's no way we would consider a trade like that, b/c then Portland wouldn't bundle Joel with another piece to make up for our loses in the trade. As much as I'd love to rid our roster of Scal's name, this trade won't work...someone please start a new tread with a new trade possibility that could work, and makes sense for all parties involved.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 12:28:02 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I thought the OP was hilarious, but then people took it seriously.

There is nothing to talk about. Portland trading for Miles and then not playing him would end up in a grievance being filed and a potential lawsuit.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »

Offline keith

• Xavier Tillman
Going by the old analogy you get what you pay for.Give up garbage and guess what your going to get back garbage.All you can hope for is what you get back does not stink as much as what you gave up.So with this analogy If i could move Scal.who is out there who i might be able to get.as far as a center with little skill but some experience ,Sacremento has cast there lot with the young centers,So maybe Mikki Moore.( he plays a lot of pf,and because of his built he is not going to battle in the paint)We would either have to throw in another player to make it work or find another team who wante to move some garbage and would be willing to be a third party to this.What i am getting at in a long winded explanation.We really have nothing minn. would want other than are starting 5 for Ryan Gomes.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »

Offline keith

• Xavier Tillman
I also must apologize.I thought i was in the Sam Cassell for a small forward post Very sorry

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 07:30:24 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
No way I do this deal.  Scal is more valuable to us than Joel P.  We have Leon Powe, Big Baby, and possible PJ Brown to back up Perk.

Scal is going to be needed at SF this year.

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No way I do this deal.  Scal is more valuable to us than Joel P.  We have Leon Powe, Big Baby, and possible PJ Brown to back up Perk.

Although I agree that Scal is more valuable to us than many people think, I think you are underrating Przybilla.  When he is healthy, he is one of the better defensive centers in the league, and he would give us some insurance for Perk if he gets injured again, or in foul trouble.

Overall this deal would never happen though, so it doesn't matter.

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45

Two words that don't seem to belong in the same sentence.