Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238963 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #1155 on: October 01, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Brad mentioned after the game he got gassed in third quarter. He got pulled out then. Came back in and seemed better.

« Reply #1156 on: October 01, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I’ve loved what I’ve seen from his body physically but I have definitely seen him out of breath and huffing and puffing a few times. 

« Reply #1157 on: October 02, 2018, 12:15:23 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Was that after running the court getting a bad lead pass and saving it from going out of bounds as he flung it to Kyrie. Then had to run back after Kyrie couldn't field his under the basket falling out of bounds pass
He had the presence of mind too sling it line drive low because of backboard.
Robert probably needed to get a 2nd wind.

After his partial block, there was no hesitation he took off up court.So for me it wasn't the blocked shot or the character assist, It was how quickly he reacted and got back up court. I may get this rubbed in my face but his passing instincts and court awareness for having so little time seem to show a very good BBIQ.

« Reply #1158 on: October 02, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I’ve loved what I’ve seen from his body physically but I have definitely seen him out of breath and huffing and puffing a few times.
I think for me, in a weird way, that makes me happier. It means he is putting in effort. And there is no comparison between practice and actual gameplay at the top level. You want them to go all out every second if possible which it seems he was. The conditioning will eventually come but if he is out there always busting his butt that is preferable and that is why he was gassed. All good stuff in my eyes.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #1159 on: October 02, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I think for me, in a weird way, that makes me happier. It means he is putting in effort. And there is no comparison between practice and actual gameplay at the top level. You want them to go all out every second if possible which it seems he was. The conditioning will eventually come but if he is out there always busting his butt that is preferable and that is why he was gassed. All good stuff in my eyes.

TP
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1160 on: October 02, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Was that after running the court getting a bad lead pass and saving it from going out of bounds as he flung it to Kyrie. Then had to run back after Kyrie couldn't field his under the basket falling out of bounds pass
He had the presence of mind too sling it line drive low because of backboard.
Robert probably needed to get a 2nd wind.

After his partial block, there was no hesitation he took off up court.So for me it wasn't the blocked shot or the character assist, It was how quickly he reacted and got back up court. I may get this rubbed in my face but his passing instincts and court awareness for having so little time seem to show a very good BBIQ.
So far it looks like you are right.  I can almost see more of a Joakim Noah type rather than the Clint Capela type he is projected to be.  He’s been very unselfish so far.  Some of his passes may partially be because he’s out of breath, but we’ll see.  I’ll take his looking to pass as a positive thing so far.

« Reply #1161 on: October 02, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
His feel is really good. I don't think he will ever be as skilled as Horford, but I could see him developing the same feel that Horford has. I could see guards being a lot better with Williams on the court, just like many guards have been better with Horford.

« Reply #1162 on: October 02, 2018, 01:54:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Nice article about RW3 in today's Boston Herald  by Mark Murphy:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/10/rookie_robert_williams_delivers_late_in_garden_debut

You can see Al and Kyrie already like the guy.

I particularly like how Kyrie singled out the fact that Williams could have gone in for a slam dunk winning hoop, but instead fed the ball to Yabu for the easy lay in.  Playing team ball.  His team-mates admire that.  Showed maturity as a player, IMO.

« Reply #1163 on: October 02, 2018, 03:05:14 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Williams is very raw.

But I suspect Brad will find him meaningful minutes this season, early on.

As I stated previously, I expect him to be used about as much as we saw Semi used last season. In fact, I would be unsurprised if he gets more minutes than Semi this season. He can do things that Semi cannot. What remains to be seen is if he can hold his ground against strong post up guys the way that Semi could. Maybe not.

What really excites me about Williams is the prospect of grooming him for one thing in particular: 

Defending Kevin Durant 1 on 1.   Until now, we simply have not had a guy both long enough and athletic enough to do that. Jaylen has had good moments defending Durant (remember him blocking his shot in Garden last season?? Sweet),but in the course of a 7 game series, you need someone who can be delegated to guard him. 

The Rockets did this with Cappella with some limited success last season in the play-offs. But my eye test tells me that Williams is superior to Capella in terms of lateral quickness. He could really frustrate him.

Williams will need to go through a lot of mistakes to get there.  He still goes too easily for head fakes, for example. But that will come with experience.  The Celtics need to give him as much real game experience now at the senior circuit level now.

Forget the Red Claws.  I hope he spends very little time down there. It will be far more valuable to this team to give him a lot of experience defending long guys like Greek Freak, Durant, so that come play off time, we have our secret formula for beating the Warriors: NEUTRALIZE DURANT.  I watched them play pre-season the other night, and they are still amazing.
Surprised someone came to the same thought as me

He can spend this whole year only to focus on how to play against the Warriors(it won't be only KD since they will switch) not only on D but on both ends of floor, he will be absolutely capable of guarding Curry-Klay-KD-Green ,Cousins will be the problem since he isn't ready to face strong postup bigs, but then you can always put Baynes on those.

For me the bigman rotation according to matchups should be(in that order)
Against small ball:AL-Rob-Theis as the only 5
Against bigC who postup:Baynes as 5, AL-Theis as 4
so they should all get plenty mins

So then I take it you think Baynes should not be in the rotation for 66% of the games?
Don't know about 66% but yes he should not play all that much compare to last season

I remember Hornets got whatever they want in the paint last game with Baynes on the floor,
it's not he isn't good it's just a matchup thing

« Reply #1164 on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Williams is very raw.

As I stated previously, I expect him to be used about as much as we saw Semi used last season. In fact, I would be unsurprised if he gets more minutes than Semi this season. He can do things that Semi cannot. What remains to be seen is if he can hold his ground against strong post up guys the way that Semi could. Maybe not.

What really excites me about Williams is the prospect of grooming him for one thing in particular: 

Defending Kevin Durant 1 on 1.   Until now, we simply have not had a guy both long enough and athletic enough to do that. Jaylen has had good moments defending Durant (remember him blocking his shot in Garden last season?? Sweet),but in the course of a 7 game series, you need someone who can be delegated to guard him. 

The Rockets did this with Cappella with some limited success last season in the play-offs. But my eye test tells me that Williams is superior to Capella in terms of lateral quickness. He could really frustrate him.

Williams will need to go through a lot of mistakes to get there.  He still goes too easily for head fakes, for example. But that will come with experience.  The Celtics need to give him as much real game experience now at the senior circuit level now.

Forget the Red Claws.  I hope he spends very little time down there. It will be far more valuable to this team to give him a lot of experience defending long guys like Greek Freak, Durant, so that come play off time, we have our secret formula for beating the Warriors: NEUTRALIZE DURANT.  I watched them play pre-season the other night, and they are still amazing.

He can spend this whole year only to focus on how to play against the Warriors(it won't be only KD since they will switch) not only on D but on both ends of floor, he will be absolutely capable of guarding Curry-Klay-KD-Green ,Cousins will be the problem since he isn't ready to face strong postup bigs, but then you can always put Baynes on those.

So then I take it you think Baynes should not be in the rotation for 66% of the games?
Don't know about 66% but yes he should not play all that much compare to last season

I remember Hornets got whatever they want in the paint last game with Baynes on the floor,

Have you actually thought this through? Seems as though you're placing little importance in all the little things Baynes brings to the team (toughness, massive screens, communicates on D, etc.

« Reply #1165 on: October 02, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Nice article about RW3 in today's Boston Herald  by Mark Murphy:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/10/rookie_robert_williams_delivers_late_in_garden_debut

You can see Al and Kyrie already like the guy.

I particularly like how Kyrie singled out the fact that Williams could have gone in for a slam dunk winning hoop, but instead fed the ball to Yabu for the easy lay in.  Playing team ball.  His team-mates admire that.  Showed maturity as a player, IMO.

It was a nice, smooth touch pass also.  He saw it all the way.  Very good court awareness and hands for a big out running like that.

« Reply #1166 on: October 02, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Williams is very raw.

Have you actually thought this through? Seems as though you're placing little importance in all the little things Baynes brings to the team (toughness, massive screens, communicates on D, etc.
Again i'm not saying he is a bad player, he will be our first choice against Sixers and Cousins and the likes, he tortured Embiid with his corner 3s last playoff and he will abuse him even more this year, but as good as he is his game just didn't matchup well against small ball

« Reply #1167 on: October 02, 2018, 07:08:43 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If Williams can become a situational weapon as early as this year, it's going to be fantastic. How much havoc can we wreak defensively if we have Smart & Williams up in opponents' faces and Horford as the anchor?

Smart/ Brown/ Tatum/ Horford/ Williams as defensive lineup of death? Imagine Williams and Smart guarding everyone baseline to baseline, while Brown and Tatum play the switches and passing lanes and Horford anchors it all.

So many combos, so little time, and of course lineups like the above imply we have two All-Stars on the bench just because we can.

« Reply #1168 on: October 02, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
If Williams can become a situational weapon as early as this year, it's going to be fantastic. How much havoc can we wreak defensively if we have Smart & Williams up in opponents' faces and Horford as the anchor?

Smart/ Brown/ Tatum/ Horford/ Williams as defensive lineup of death? Imagine Williams and Smart guarding everyone baseline to baseline, while Brown and Tatum play the switches and passing lanes and Horford anchors it all.

So many combos, so little time, and of course lineups like the above imply we have two All-Stars on the bench just because we can.

I like it, except when the time comes I might swap Hayward for Tatum. More proven and he would be good to have out there as a playmaker on O if Smart is PG.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

More Robert Williams please....
« Reply #1169 on: October 03, 2018, 01:27:57 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
…….and less of Smart and Semi shooting threes.