Author Topic: What is the main thing that keeps you up at night about the C's playoff chances?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
injuries.....and thats it..

the addition of KP/Jrue is huge to our team and we can't miss either.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
At last year's failure (against Miami) I blamed a couple of players and felt like some rigorous changes needed to be made. And Stevens delivered. Smart his time in Boston had to come to an end as he was a loose cannon especially in clutch situations. And while I loved Robert Williams, the decision by Stevens to let him go has already proven to be the right one. Same as Brogdon and Grant Williams. The final player I wanted to part with was Brown.

That idea hasn't changed. I still feel Brown is holding the team back. His man-to-man-defense is decent, but still not at the level it should be, while his team defense is almost non-existent. This as a byproduct of his low BBIQ which hinders him in a lot of ways. His suspicious decision-making and ability to recognize situations worries me a lot going into these playoffs.

In a simple stat, the Celtics on/off-court-numbers (per 100 possessions), remarkably Brown is by far the worst on the team. Because our bench is producing excellently the numbers are a little down for starters in general. I only name players who have played at least 600 minutes so far. In the NBA 97 players have played 2000+ minutes, only 4 of them have a worse score than -7.2 (H.Barnes, Prince, K.Thompson, J.Smith Jr.).

White +3.8
Hauser +2.3
Pritchard +1.2
Horford +0.8
Tatum -0.3
Porzingis -0.7
Kornet -2.2
Holiday -3.6
Brown -7.2

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At last year's failure (against Miami) I blamed a couple of players and felt like some rigorous changes needed to be made. And Stevens delivered. Smart his time in Boston had to come to an end as he was a loose cannon especially in clutch situations. And while I loved Robert Williams, the decision by Stevens to let him go has already proven to be the right one. Same as Brogdon and Grant Williams. The final player I wanted to part with was Brown.

That idea hasn't changed. I still feel Brown is holding the team back. His man-to-man-defense is decent, but still not at the level it should be, while his team defense is almost non-existent. This as a byproduct of his low BBIQ which hinders him in a lot of ways. His suspicious decision-making and ability to recognize situations worries me a lot going into these playoffs.

In a simple stat, the Celtics on/off-court-numbers (per 100 possessions), remarkably Brown is by far the worst on the team. Because our bench is producing excellently the numbers are a little down for starters in general. I only name players who have played at least 600 minutes so far. In the NBA 97 players have played 2000+ minutes, only 4 of them have a worse score than -7.2 (H.Barnes, Prince, K.Thompson, J.Smith Jr.).

White +3.8
Hauser +2.3
Pritchard +1.2
Horford +0.8
Tatum -0.3
Porzingis -0.7
Kornet -2.2
Holiday -3.6
Brown -7.2

Sounds like all of Tatum, KP, Holiday and Brown are suspect? 

We're doomed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

White +3.8
Hauser +2.3
Pritchard +1.2
Horford +0.8
Tatum -0.3
Porzingis -0.7
Kornet -2.2
Holiday -3.6
Brown -7.2

I agree with your assessment on Brown. I also think his ball handling skills have been suspect and I fear of him turning the ball over when he tries too hard. Also, his free throw % is trash for his position. Hence why I'm fine with parting ways with Brown. Get some pieces back or somebody decent who can help Tatum, not share the spotlight and take this my turn/your turn ball-scoring approach.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680

White +3.8
Hauser +2.3
Pritchard +1.2
Horford +0.8
Tatum -0.3
Porzingis -0.7
Kornet -2.2
Holiday -3.6
Brown -7.2

We're doomed.

Blow it up, rebuild around White and Hauser imo. 

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

White +3.8
Hauser +2.3
Pritchard +1.2
Horford +0.8
Tatum -0.3
Porzingis -0.7
Kornet -2.2
Holiday -3.6
Brown -7.2

We're doomed.

Blow it up, rebuild around White and Hauser imo.

Stats don’t lie.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
TEAM   MIN   +/-   Per 48  Team
DEN     913   267   14.0     5.1
MIL     599   199   15.9     3.0
OKC    793   157   9.5      6.9
BOS    623   150   11.6    11.3
LAC    593   120    9.7     3.5
MIN    610    11     0.9      6.8

Not sure how clear this is but these minutes and total +/- values are for the starting line ups of each of these teams.  I then did the math to get the per 48 min.  Based on this, the Celtics starters are 3rd best in the league behind DEN and MIL.  I am trying to understand what all the negative plus/minus on/off number for the celtics starters means.  With the exception of MIN, the other teams have very strong starting line ups (based on per48 +/-) relative to the overall team.  That means the starters are better than the other line ups where there is 1 or more bench player, by this measure.  Boston is about the same for either.  MIN is actually better based on line ups other than the starters.

So what does it mean tha the on/off for the Celtics individual starters is so low or negative?  I am not sure it means anything.  I know the point of posting the stat was to show that Brown isn't that good, but I am not sure you can even draw that conclusion.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:55:36 AM by Vermont Green »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Tatum playing hero ball on the last possession

0 for 8 this season.
We'll be doomed if it continues in the playoff.

Would also want to see  Joe's infamous ATO plays he's been keeping a secret so far in the regular season.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

White +3.8
Hauser +2.3
Pritchard +1.2
Horford +0.8
Tatum -0.3
Porzingis -0.7
Kornet -2.2
Holiday -3.6
Brown -7.2

I love that JB is in Boston. Of course you do a trade that brings back good talent, better balance, and some financial flexibility, but JB is no slouch as a 2nd best player.

His over dribbling is annoying, but he’s been wiser over the course of the season - moving the ball better, looking for open teammates.  The turnover thing is a bit overblown. His TO numbers aren’t terrible at 2.4 a game and are down .5 from last year. It’s obvious he’s put more emphasis on passing the ball. But, he will turn it over 2 or 3 times a game and he’ll have a game every so often that he’ll turn it over a bunch.  But overall, what he gives to the team far outweighs what gives away.  I don’t think any stat will convince me otherwise.

I think both Jays understand the stakes this year. They may not win, but  they’ve got a really good shot at it. Till they show me they aren’t stepping up in the playoffs I’ll believe they will.