Author Topic: C’s locker room after Game 2  (Read 11428 times)

Re: C’s locker room after Game 2
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 08:55:42 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Good. Absolutely disgusting effort in that 3rd quarter. Hopefully Smart telling it like it is.

- LilRip

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm a believer in that if Smart is yelling, screaming, cussing, that is a good thing.  And if there's players on this team not willing to follow Smart to heaven or hell, then get the hell out.  Tatum and Brown may look pretty, but Marcus is the Alpha Dog.

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
From Shams:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Following the Celtics’ Game 2 loss to the Heat, that put them down 0-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals, there was a commotion both outside and inside the Boston locker room as the media gathered outside awaiting postgame interviews heard the sounds of yelling and what appeared to be a scuffle.

Here is what The Athletic learned went on behind those doors.

Boston Celtics’ Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown had a heated confrontation inside that locker room after the Game 2 loss and needed to be separated by teammates, multiple sources told The Athletic. Smart, who is widely regarded as Boston’s emotional leader, was heard shouting inside the postgame locker room after the Celtics’ loss to Miami.

Sources told The Athletic that Smart stormed into the Celtics postgame locker room saying that other players needed to be held accountable and not simply point the finger toward him when things are going wrong. As Smart continued and his voice grew louder, sources said Brown snapped back and shouted that Celtics players must stay together and that their actions must come as a team, not individually, and that Smart needed to cool off. Those sources added Smart had verbal exchanges with a couple of the assistant coaches during the game.

Smart and Brown had a tense interaction inside the locker room, with objects thrown around. Teammates diffused the situation before any physical altercation could take place, sources told The Athletic.

Smart and Brown have smoothed tensions over since the verbal spat, and one source said the Celtics would learn from it and move on from the episode Friday ahead of a pivotal Game 3 on Saturday.

“They will move past this and focus on the task,” a source said late Thursday.

These Celtics have thrived off Smart’s feisty play and leadership. Throughout his six Celtics seasons, Smart has been a catalyst for winning: Boston has made the postseason each year and this is the third trip to the Eastern Conference Finals. He is a two-time NBA All-Defensive team member, including earning first team honors this season.

“(Smart) plays with passion, he’s full of fire, and that’s what I love about him most,” Brown said after Game 2. “He has that desire and that will, and we need him to continue to have that. We embrace each other, and who Marcus is, I love him for it.”

The Celtics are down 2-0 to the Heat in the East Finals, and will enter a must-win game on Saturday in the NBA’s bubble.

https://theathletic.com/2076247/2020/09/18/shams-inside-the-celtics-heated-locker-room-scene-following-game-2/  (Paywall)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Man if they lose the next two games, i have to imagine one of them will demand to be traded. Sounds brutal in that locker room

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Marcus had a fairly horrendous second half. It's hard to see why he should be yelling at anyone.

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 10:24:45 AM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
From Shams:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Following the Celtics’ Game 2 loss to the Heat, that put them down 0-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals, there was a commotion both outside and inside the Boston locker room as the media gathered outside awaiting postgame interviews heard the sounds of yelling and what appeared to be a scuffle.

Boston Celtics’ Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown had a heated confrontation inside that locker room after the Game 2 loss and needed to be separated by teammates, multiple sources told The Athletic. Smart, who is widely regarded as Boston’s emotional leader, was heard shouting inside the postgame locker room after the Celtics’ loss to Miami.

Sources told The Athletic that Smart stormed into the Celtics postgame locker room saying that other players needed to be held accountable and not simply point the finger toward him when things are going wrong. As Smart continued and his voice grew louder, sources said Brown snapped back and shouted that Celtics players must stay together and that their actions must come as a team, not individually, and that Smart needed to cool off. Those sources added Smart had verbal exchanges with a couple of the assistant coaches during the game.

Smart and Brown had a tense interaction inside the locker room, with objects thrown around. Teammates diffused the situation before any physical altercation could take place, sources told The Athletic.

Smart and Brown have smoothed tensions over since the verbal spat, and one source said the Celtics would learn from it and move on from the episode Friday ahead of a pivotal Game 3 on Saturday.

These Celtics have thrived off Smart’s feisty play and leadership. Throughout his six Celtics seasons, Smart has been a catalyst for winning: Boston has made the postseason each year and this is the third trip to the Eastern Conference Finals. He is a two-time NBA All-Defensive team member, including earning first team honors this season.

“(Smart) plays with passion, he’s full of fire, and that’s what I love about him most,” Brown said after Game 2. “He has that desire and that will, and we need him to continue to have that. We embrace each other, and who Marcus is, I love him for it.”

The Celtics are down 2-0 to the Heat in the East Finals, and will enter a must-win game on Saturday in the NBA’s bubble.

https://theathletic.com/2076247/2020/09/18/shams-inside-the-celtics-heated-locker-room-scene-following-game-2/  (Paywall)

Learning the details I'm not too concerned.  Smart is their emotional leader and came into the room hot and impulsive.  Jaylen, more of a thinker, tried to stress that it's times like these the team needs to stick together.  Tempers flared, they separated and today they'll probably be fine.

Now if it had been the other way around, Jaylen coming in and screaming, then I'd be concerned.  It's not really his personality (or so it seems - I obviously don't know him personally) and if he did that I would think it was more than a heat of the moment outburst.

I don't know if they come back in this series but I don't think any trades will be requested over this.

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
From Shams:

Learning the details I'm not too concerned.  Smart is their emotional leader and came into the room hot and impulsive.  Jaylen, more of a thinker, tried to stress that it's times like these the team needs to stick together.  Tempers flared, they separated and today they'll probably be fine.

Now if it had been the other way around, Jaylen coming in and screaming, then I'd be concerned.  It's not really his personality (or so it seems - I obviously don't know him personally) and if he did that I would think it was more than a heat of the moment outburst.

I don't know if they come back in this series but I don't think any trades will be requested over this.

Yeah, I'm not bothered by it, either.  Emotional loss.  Team's emotional leader trying to light a fire under the team.  Emotions raging.   

This isn't uncommon in team sports.  You just don't hear about a lot of the times.

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I love to hear they are angry about what is happening. It shows they feel they can win the series and that is a great thing at this point.

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Now I'm terrible at judging these type of things (I always thought Durant and Westbrook were close, so what do I know), but I'm pretty sure Jaylen and Smart are pretty close.

If you watch any of the Celtics off court videos, it's fairly common to see Brown and Smart goofing off together.  Seemingly more so than any other combination of players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJG3sPxbmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgzw1_q-3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEh-QlZ8l9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu8Km5GqR_A

Here's some videos of the Celtics in game entertainment videos, do you see any other pairs of players together?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0vM1RyUH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvF4uKh9C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEgwMwav33o

In this SLAM video, you see them goofing off together, but it also seems like Smart and Brown have the most rapport, IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-BvnwKJGd0

Here's a bunch of videos of them practicing together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aleQNlS7WyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBD56TkOwFA

And in this one they're arguing, but it looks like Gerald Green and the assistant are smiling, so I figure it's friendly banter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7ZJ3foJps

If I had to guess, I'd guess Smart and Brown are probably closest with each other on the team.  No way there's any animosity there.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 11:37:36 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
...Smart stormed into the Celtics postgame locker room saying that other players needed to be held accountable and not simply point the finger toward him when things are going wrong...

Until the Cs actually play with the level of energy and focus needed to win. or they get blown out, then I don't think this matters at all. The above struck me as kind-of strange, though. Is it true that teammates are 'pointing their fingers' at Smart when things are going downhill? Are others on the team telling him to stop taking dumb shots or making dumb TOs?

Sounds like Smart was totally in the wrong here. People are applauding Smart for trying to light a fire under his team, but it sounds more like he was taking a super-offensive approach to being super-defensive about his mistakes. This was hardly a 'pep talk'. I'm glad there wasn't a picture frame nearby or we would probably be talking about Smart missing the rest of the playoffs. I should note that I love Smart, btw, just not going to excuse his actions here.

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
...Smart stormed into the Celtics postgame locker room saying that other players needed to be held accountable and not simply point the finger toward him when things are going wrong...

Until the Cs actually play with the level of energy and focus needed to win. or they get blown out, then I don't think this matters at all. The above struck me as kind-of strange, though. Is it true that teammates are 'pointing their fingers' at Smart when things are going downhill? Are others on the team telling him to stop taking dumb shots or making dumb TOs?

Sounds like Smart was totally in the wrong here. People are applauding Smart for trying to light a fire under his team, but it sounds more like he was taking a super-offensive approach to being super-defensive about his mistakes. This was hardly a 'pep talk'. I'm glad there wasn't a picture frame nearby or we would probably be talking about Smart missing the rest of the playoffs. I should note that I love Smart, btw, just not going to excuse his actions here.

I don't know who was in the right or if this story captured the entire scuffle/argument, but sometimes screaming and pointing fingers is a tactic used to make sure the team pays attention to detail.  If you know that you will be called out for a mistake, you are more likely to take precaution not to make the mistake.  This can play out in one of two ways - the Celts can come out and play with 100% focus and not make mental mistakes, or they can come out totally tentative and passive, so that they give themselves no chance of winning.  I think the latter happened last year against Milwaukee because we had a whiner on the team (or maybe multiple whiners) who never took accountability for his own actions and made sure everyone knew when someone else on the team made a mistake.

Here's to hoping we learned something from last year.

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 12:28:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
More on last night.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
1m
ESPN Sources: Brad Stevens had a late night Thursday meeting with Celtics leaders – Kemba Walker, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart – to work through emotions of post-Game 2 locker room. A lot of yelling in locker room, but nothing escalated to a physical confrontation.

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 12:42:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think we can safely say Kyrie was not the only problem last year. There are some growing pain/maturation issues throughout the roster that still need to be worked out, one way or another.

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 02:37:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think we can safely say Kyrie was not the only problem last year. There are some growing pain/maturation issues throughout the roster that still need to be worked out, one way or another.
And this might start with Smart. He has shown to be over emotional and immature quite a bit in his career, both on and off the court.

When Smart plays, well, smart, he is a godsend. But, way too often he doesn't play smart. He tries to be way more than he is on offense. Early in the clock 25-30 footers, lazy sloppy or way too cute passes, missing the clearly open man to explore his own drives, and overtrying to pick up fouls to go to the line are not uncommon for him. These things are especially true when he is on the court with players like Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Hayward who's offense should be the priority, not the worst offensive player in the 5 man unit.

If people were calling out Smart yesterday, he deserved it. Yeah, so did Tatum and others, but when Smart was freezing out Brown(the lack of touches for Brown in this series is disturbing), taking terrible 3 pointers early in the clock(at least 2 -3 that I remember), driving wildly into crowds attempting to pick up fouls causing TO's and making bad sloppy passes...he needs to be called out.

For all we know it was the coaching staff calling him out, hence his loud altercations with them, then he went into the locker room and went off because he didn't like the criticism.

People are painting Smart going off as a good thing but given all we know, my scenario is very plausible and could be Smart being immature and trying to throw blame elsewhere while Brown stuck up for the rest of the team.

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 03:01:49 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
These type of events rarely help a team. This is an example of why Smart doesn't wear the captain C.  I saw 4 guys stand around and let Adebayo come in for the layup.  This isn't on one person. The Celtics have more top talent which is why they get up double digits often.  However, they are not the better team right now.  It is not too late to flip the script.  All they need is one.