Author Topic: brad wanamaker to the C’s? UPDATE, finalizing deal  (Read 22979 times)

Re: brad wanamaker to the C’s? UPDATE, finalizing deal
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Jokes aside, I actually really like this signing. Looks like a solid scorer and sharpshooter off the bench. Wish we could keep Larkin too though but I think he's gone as a result  :(

Now we got to prioritize Baynes and Smart!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Nadar can go. Get a shooter, resign Smart and Baynes.
Nader has a partial guarantee, so my guess is he's not going anywhere.

That partial guarantees can be stretched to count only $64k per season, so it isn’t a huge obstacle.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
From NBAdraft.net
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/brad-wanamaker

NBA Comparison: Royal Ivey
Strengths: Wanamaker is one of those guys people don’t give fancy labels to, he’s simply a basketball player…A 6’4 combo guard with a strong build…Has improved his body a good bit over time, trimming down his once chubby frame…Shows great basketball IQ, plays within himself and makes great decisions…His best skill as a player is undoubtedly his passing ability…Outstanding court vision and shows great ability to put the ball in tight windows to find cutters…Not one to get tunnel vision…Was a true triple doble threat in the Big East, with solid scoring, passing and rebounding skills…Can operate from mid-range with his floater…Moves well with the ball…Is a vocal leader…Works hard on D ...

Weaknesses: Wanamaker lacks athleticism in a major way and it will hold him back on both ends…Pretty slow and shows no explosiveness…Won’t be a slashing, isolation, or transition threat in the pros like he was in college…Started the year shooting very well from the 3-point line but cooled off a bit an shot a mediocre 34% at the end of the year on a limited amount of attempts…Won’t put pressure on the defense with the ball in his hands…Although he’s a good passer, he’s not a good enough slasher to pose a problem in the drive and dish…Rarely gets separation from defenders…Play fundamental D and works hard, but is lacks lateral quickness in a major way so he’d struggle against pro wings…Wasn’t all that efficient a finisher at the rim in the Big East, and will likely be even worse against better teams and athletes ...

Overall: Wanamaker developed into a prospect as a Sr. and improved every part of his game a good bit each year he was at Pitt…Very experienced and mature and was a team leader in his last 2 years…He has nice passing skills and feel for the game, but he’s a bad athlete who will struggle to adjust his game to the pros because of it ...

Celtics fan for life.

Re: brad wanamaker to the C’s?
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Just look him up... 29 years old and never played in NBA? NO THANK YOU
Why, because he doesn't have "potential" to be a star?  Not everyone we get needs to be young and promising.  Guys are needed for specific roles and there is nothing wrong with signing veterans over youth (which we don't need more of).

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Jokes aside, I actually really like this signing. Looks like a solid scorer and sharpshooter off the bench. Wish we could keep Larkin too though but I think he's gone as a result  :(
I don't think someone who averaged 34% from three (while making less than 1 per game) in Europe qualifies as a "sharpshooter".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Weird signing on its own, must be something else coming.

Does this means Smart is gone? Larkin?

Don’t see the need for another combo guard. Kyrie/Rozier and Brown/Smart. Purely for depth I suppose. We shall see...
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 04:48:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Don’t see the need for another combo guard. Kyrie/Rozier and Brown/Smart. Purely for depth I suppose. We shall see...

Implications for Larkin. Not Smart.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Seems like Larkiin cant stay healthy
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Larkin was always very unlikely to stay past this last season.  He was signed to just the one-year contract, meaning we don't have Bird or Restricted FA rights.     We can offer, I believe, just 1.8M to him for next year via Non-Bird rights. 

He gave up a much bigger contract last year Europe in order to come here on a make-do contract to prove he could play in the NBA.  His plan/hope probably was to land a bigger NBA contract this coming year.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
He probably replaces what Smart does offensively.  And I do think Larkin is gone - hence Brad apparently telling him he'll get minutes.

I am starting to think they're going to lose Smart, especially with Indiana renouncing Stephenson today.  I think they're going to come after Smart hard - which means with lots of $$$.

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2018, 06:17:53 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Sounds good. It looks like Larkin won't be returning, but Wanamaker should be a good replacement.

All he has to be able to do is handle the ball in an offence that runs through others (Kyrie/Horford/Hayward/Tatum)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Makes sense. If we assume better health for Hayward and Irving next season (and, I mean, if they don't combine to play more than 61 games total Boston has bigger problems than the fit of their 3rd/4th point guard) you ideally want your backup guards to be able to play off the ball as much as on, and Wannamaker has the frame to hold up much better defensively than Larkin (who, don't get me wrong, was very good relative to his role/salary last year). He doesn't need to be a young guy with star potential, he just needs to be a veteran in the locker room who doesn't panic if he actually winds up playing minutes that matter.

That could relegating the Celtics to re-signing Baynes using the 120% bump they can give him using his Non-Bird rights.

If Baynes returns next season it'll almost certainly be using his 120% Non-Bird Rights. His Non-Bird amount is functionally identical to the Non-Tax Mid-Level next season, and I can't imagine Ainge hard-capping himself to round out a four-man center platoon on a team that will primarily play small. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Williams and Wannamaker are plugged into the roster spots of the departing Larkin and Monroe to remove some of the defensive liabilities from last seasons' roster, Smart and Baynes return, and the biggest summer controversy for the C's is whether Nader or Jabari Bird get the final full roster spot going into the 18-19 season.

It would have the added benefit of keeping the Non-Tax Midlevel available to use on buyout guys down the road (even though it gets pro-rated, unlike the DPE from last season).

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2018, 06:37:49 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Supposedly a defensive upgrade over Larkin who was thought to be able to attract a deal off of last year's performance.

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2018, 06:43:03 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I checked out some of his highlight clips.  He looks like a better version of Eric Bledsoe.  Explosive, strong, and has excellent form on his jumper.  If he's the replacement for Larkin it's an upgrade.  If we lose Smart, he's a solid replacement but with him we'll get better offense and worse defense.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I checked out some of his highlight clips.  He looks like a better version of Eric Bledsoe.  Explosive, strong, and has excellent form on his jumper.  If he's the replacement for Larkin it's an upgrade.  If we lose Smart, he's a solid replacement but with him we'll get better offense and worse defense.

Eric Bledsoe, playoffs aside, averaged nearly 18, 5, and 4 last season on not-terrible percentages. A better version of Eric Bledsoe is a regular all-star, which Wannamaker won't be. All he needs to do is be a solid bench combo guard who eats up some regular season minutes and shifts to an "in case of emergency" role come playoff time.