Author Topic: Cavs' Gilbert: 'We killed it' with Kyrie trade  (Read 5684 times)

Cavs' Gilbert: 'We killed it' with Kyrie trade
« on: May 23, 2019, 12:32:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dan Gilbert is the worst...

Gilbert noted the Kyrie Irving trade with Boston led to the Cavs adding young players Collin Sexton, Larry Nance Jr. and Jordan Clarkson.

KYRIE IRVING TRADE

After the 2017 playoffs, Irving demanded a trade. The All-Star guard had two years left on his contract. Gilbert said the longer they waited to deal Irving, the more his value would drop.

“It becomes a melting snowball,” said the owner. “We had to trade him when we did. What team would want Kyrie with only one year on his contract knowing he could leave after the season? You won’t get much back (under those circumstances).”

But there was something else.

“The agent was telling us, if we don’t trade him, there is some surgery he is on the borderline of having on his knee,” said Gilbert. “It was possible he could be out for most of the year. It turned out to be true.”

Irving missed the 2018 playoffs because he had two knee surgeries. He was relatively healthy this season, but the Celtics had a rocky year and were wiped out of the post-season in the second round.

“I don’t know, but I think Kyrie will leave Boston,” said Gilbert. “We could have ended up with nothing. Looking back after all the moves Koby made, we killed it in that trade.”

http://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/22/cavs-gilbert-we-killed-it-kyrie-trade

Re: Cavs' Gilbert: 'We killed it' with Kyrie trade
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:38:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This is pretty weird. The Cavs are stuck with love on a bad contract. A rookie that doesn’t really look to have superstar potential and just had terrible lottery lock. I’m not even sure who cavs second best young player is osman? I wouldn’t be really bragging about anything, much less having nance and clarkson as fringe rotation players. Worse for some reason they are paying nance 34 million dollars for the next 3 years and then watched him regress across the board.  I am afraid that team is screwed till Gilbert sellls it now.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 01:26:35 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
They only killed it with Collin Sexton via BKN 2018 pick.

That was probably the only piece of that 5-for-1 (Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, BKN 2018, MIA 2020 second-round pick) trade package I was most concerned about, the Brooklyn 2018 pick. Everyone else was either garbage or serviceably replaceable.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 01:26:44 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Sounds like he's saying they made the most out of a difficult circumstance as could be expected.

Didn't seem like bragging.  He and Ainge are pretty tight.  He has no reason to brag in Ainge's face or stir up anything prior to their AD talks.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 01:41:22 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

That was probably the only piece of that 5-for-1 (Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, BKN 2018, MIA 2020 second-round pick) trade package I was most concerned about, the Brooklyn 2018 pick. Everyone else was either garbage or serviceably replaceable.

WOW what an overpay if Kyrie leaves Boston.

Looks like Gilberg may have done Boston a solid because Kyrie may want to prove him wrong.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 02:55:55 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

WOW what an overpay if Kyrie leaves Boston.

Looks like Gilberg may have done Boston a solid because Kyrie may want to prove him wrong.

Kyrie don’t owe sh%# to nobody. Kyrie is done with making everyone else happy and is worried about himself and what he wants. 

Those are kind of his words.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 06:40:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
how many fans did Sexton, Clarkson, IT , Crowder Zizic ,and allthe rest put in the Cleveland stands ....anybody even know Cavs exisited after Lebron. ?

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 06:59:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Even after 2 years, it is too early to tell.
Trades are usually like that.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I can't think of an NBA owner or executive with less credibility than Dan Gilbert regarding personnel decisions.

Lebron James, the best player of his era, walked from the Cavs twice. Both times the Cavs got nothing for him.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He has said all sorts of stuff, like his ability to build a contender without LeBron, while also firing or failing to retain every talented executive and front office staff for more than a single contract.

Dude is a delusional bad owner, convinced he's a great talent evaluator/GM.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Having Kyrie for the 2018 season and Finals and then letting him walk is of more value than Collin Sexton.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 08:46:22 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I think it's still TBD. If Kyrie resigns then no - they did not kill it..

I mean even if he doesn't resign from a pure profit standpoint Boston wins. The garden was sold out every night, Kyrie is an international star and his jersey was in the stands 5x's more then any other player over the past two years. There is a season ticket holder wait list for the first time since the big 3 era..

Not sure Cleveland could say the same with Crowder, IT, or Sexton.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:52:50 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The trade worked out so well that the Cavs took a step back and Lebron left town as soon as he could.

If the Cavs had kept Kyrie, or gotten a different return, maybe Lebron stays.  It’s not something to brag about.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
My main takeaway is his recognition of a star player's trade value with only one year remaining on his contract. We all know it. It's reassuring to hear an nba owner acknowledge it.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The trade worked out so well that the Cavs took a step back and Lebron left town as soon as he could.

If the Cavs had kept Kyrie, or gotten a different return, maybe Lebron stays.  It’s not something to brag about.
Good point. As you said LeBron left.
Still, there are so many variables involved between two teams that have yet to enfold.

From Bostons POV:
- will Kyrie resign?
- will we max out our assets (AD)?

From Clevelands POV?
- are Clarkson, Nance, my "Antedote" Žižić any good?
- will Sexton progress?

Then we will have a firm result of the trade.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."