Author Topic: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team  (Read 12794 times)

Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:04:31 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
https://weei.radio.com/blogs/nick-friar/danny-ainge-jaylen-brown-may-have-handled-last-year-better-anybody-celtics

Ainge appeared on Holley's podcast and told an anecdote about Brown from before last season:

During a recent appearance on NBC Sports Boston’s “The Michael Holley Podcast,” Danny Ainge also mentioned how Brown got a little ahead of himself prior to last season.

“Jaylen Brown grabbed me in the lunchroom and he came and sat behind me and said, ‘Do you think that we’re as good as (the) 1986 Celtics team?’ And I went, ‘Oh my gosh, he’s so young,’” Ainge said. “And I just don’t think that they could even grasp that 1985 loss to the Lakers and the torture of that series and what that led (to). And Larry Bird was in his prime, one of the greatest Celtics of all time. But it was just fascinating, he was just looking at it like match-up to match-up to match-up, like you do in a video game.

“But that was a real awakening to me and how — just the perspective of guys. And then how certain guys thought they were going to be all-stars (in 2018-20) and they work hard all summer to reach these individual goals, but we just had too many individual goals. But we just had too many individual goals. We didn’t have enough guys that winning was the most important thing. And when you have 21 and 22-year-olds kids, that’s going to happen. So, I like them and I understand where every player is. I was that player.”

I thought this was an interesting tidbit to share. Brown is often portrayed as one of the more thoughtful and intelligent young Celtics, but that makes it easy to forget he's just 22 (soon to be 23) years old. I didn't see this story as showing how delusional or cocky he is, rather that he simply had no perspective on how difficult it is to be a championship team, much less one that is considered one of the greatest of all time.

Re: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
https://weei.radio.com/blogs/nick-friar/danny-ainge-jaylen-brown-may-have-handled-last-year-better-anybody-celtics

Ainge appeared on Holley's podcast and told an anecdote about Brown from before last season:

During a recent appearance on NBC Sports Boston’s “The Michael Holley Podcast,” Danny Ainge also mentioned how Brown got a little ahead of himself prior to last season.

“Jaylen Brown grabbed me in the lunchroom and he came and sat behind me and said, ‘Do you think that we’re as good as (the) 1986 Celtics team?’ And I went, ‘Oh my gosh, he’s so young,’” Ainge said. “And I just don’t think that they could even grasp that 1985 loss to the Lakers and the torture of that series and what that led (to). And Larry Bird was in his prime, one of the greatest Celtics of all time. But it was just fascinating, he was just looking at it like match-up to match-up to match-up, like you do in a video game.

“But that was a real awakening to me and how — just the perspective of guys. And then how certain guys thought they were going to be all-stars (in 2018-20) and they work hard all summer to reach these individual goals, but we just had too many individual goals. But we just had too many individual goals. We didn’t have enough guys that winning was the most important thing. And when you have 21 and 22-year-olds kids, that’s going to happen. So, I like them and I understand where every player is. I was that player.”

I thought this was an interesting tidbit to share. Brown is often portrayed as one of the more thoughtful and intelligent young Celtics, but that makes it easy to forget he's just 22 (soon to be 23) years old. I didn't see this story as showing how delusional or cocky he is, rather that he simply had no perspective on how difficult it is to be a championship team, much less one that is considered one of the greatest of all time.

I agree with you on the no perspective.  But I'm not sure it doesn't show him as delusional or cocky either.  Not in a bad way.  Just in the way every 22 year old is.  When I was 22, I thought I knew everything.  I think it is a nice anecdote to remind us that as much as he is intelligent and mature for his age (which he really is), he's still only 22.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:59:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Imagine Horford - Mook - Tatum trying to defend Parish - McHale - Bird.

Ouch
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:05:39 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Ouch

How long before they say 'no mas'.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 03:45:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ouch

Maybe 1 quarter
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:49:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think it's a positive thing for Brown, to me it shows that he has the confidence to challenge the best. Hope he does that this season!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Ouch

Maybe 1 quarter

They'd be pooping their diapers.

Not that it would matter much in the long haul, but I guess to some degree of would depend which era they were playing in.  I tend to think Bird and company would have an easier time adapting to go today's style the v/v.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I agree with you on the no perspective.  But I'm not sure it doesn't show him as delusional or cocky either.  Not in a bad way.  Just in the way every 22 year old is.  When I was 22, I thought I knew everything.  I think it is a nice anecdote to remind us that as much as he is intelligent and mature for his age (which he really is), he's still only 22.

Yeah; along those lines, it's worth remembering that Brown obviously didn't see that team because he wasn't born in 1986. In fact - he was still *10 years away* from being born. I feel old.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Ouch

Yeah, that front line would smoke them. It would smoke any team in recent history. And don forget Walton off the bench.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Bird trash talking would scare these young guys alone not to mention the 86 team is top 5 team of all time
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »

Offline jah

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
I don't think anyone was asking or questioning whether Jaylen was wrong, so there's really no point in adding your 2 cents about how much better the '86 team was. It should go without saying.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Danny is my childhood hero. I’m disgusted by his comments. He sounds just like Kyrie Irving. Low class move. Stop badmouthing the young guys in the press. This was completely unnecessary. MOVE ON! Sticks up for Kyrie before and after he’s gone and reminds everyone how little our players know. I’m really disappointed. I’d love if we broke this trend of disparaging our players in the press.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ainge just needs to retire.  He has lost perspective.  Time for Zarren to take over.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Ouch

Maybe 1 quarter

They'd be pooping their diapers.

Not that it would matter much in the long haul, but I guess to some degree of would depend which era they were playing in.  I tend to think Bird and company would have an easier time adapting to go today's style the v/v.
imagine those 3 playing under today's rules where palming, traveling and Eurostepping are permitted.  Give Ainge that flexibility and he'd be scary as hell.   better yet, imagine the current players having to play under the old rules with all the rule-breaking taken away.  Kyrie becomes average if he can only dribble with his hand on top of the ball instead of bouncing it, catching it under the ball and then bouncing it again.  end of those crossovers.  DJ would eat him alive on D.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 11:50:47 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Maybe Jaylen Brown should stop asking stupid questions? Let's be honest here, if this was Kyrie or Rozier saying this stuff, we'd have no mercy on them, but since it's our esteemed "intellectual", people are bending over backwards to make it into something positive lol.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum