Author Topic: Theis and his short/long term future with the Cs  (Read 4965 times)

Re: Theis and his short/long term future with the Cs
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:43 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Thompson was a best of the rest scenario for the MLE. The Hayward issue dragged out so long that we missed out on all the good free agents.

I still hate to think just how awesome this team would look with Wood.

Wood is a one trick pony. Lob city. He is a terrible defender. You can kill him on pick n rolls because he has no idea where to be. He's soft on the inside and anyone can roast his cement feet on the perimeter.

Yup he looks great in clips because he's a great lob catcher.

He is alot more than that.

He is a great floor spacer, a great weakside shot blocker, an excellent rebounder. Can handle the ball on the perimeter and start the break off the defensive rebound and is developing as a playmaker.

Look at all those lobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-62nJ6Mkk

Yeah, he is not DPOY candidate but he is on par with Timelord.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
last nights spacing when the Cs went with Semi/Grant at the 4 further drove home to me that Theis likely has to be traded....

What he would bring in trade is outweighed by his value as insurance.

Thompson or TL get injured or sick, Tacko is our backup center. There also are occasions where we need to go to 2 bigs. Plus, for all the good things he does, TL gets lost out there way too often. He's still got a ways to go learning the game.

IMO, unless we add a big with the trade exception, we have to hold onto Theis.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 02:38:51 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Why can't we simply keep a quality starting calibre centre who's on a bargain contract? ???
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can't trade Theis just to trade him. Yes, I want to see more of Timelord but not at the expense at dumping Theis. Neither Thompson not Timelord have been the picture of health over the last couple to few years and this team can't have Tacko Fall as it's third string center. That would be a disaster if either or both of TT and Timelord got hurt.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 03:07:39 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Can't trade Theis just to trade him. Yes, I want to see more of Timelord but not at the expense at dumping Theis. Neither Thompson not Timelord have been the picture of health over the last couple to few years and this team can't have Tacko Fall as it's third string center. That would be a disaster if either or both of TT and Timelord got hurt.

I agree, but when Theis, Thompson, and R Will are all healthy the playing all three is an issue and the two big lineup is a problem.

I also agree with other posters that the Cs cant simply get rid of Theis to open up minutes for R Williams.

At this point my ideal situation would be for the Cs to package Theis and Edwards in a trade for a protected 1st then use that 1st to bring in a player who adds some value to the rotation and pick up an over the hill vet big as Thompson / R Williams insurance (T Gibson could be a nice fit). This package may not be available but that would be my ideal outcome. Other wise the Cs will be left to hopefully negotiate a S&T in the off-season because I can't see the Cs bringing Theis back. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Last year, we didn't have enough depth inside. This year, we do, but people want to trade a starter.

It's like Celtic fans want to be frustrated.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 03:48:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Thompson was a best of the rest scenario for the MLE. The Hayward issue dragged out so long that we missed out on all the good free agents.

Wood is a one trick pony. Lob city. He is a terrible defender. You can kill him on pick n rolls because he has no idea where to be. He's soft on the inside and anyone can roast his cement feet on the perimeter.

He is a great floor spacer, a great weakside shot blocker, an excellent rebounder. Can handle the ball on the perimeter and start the break off the defensive rebound and is developing as a playmaker.

Look at all those lobs

Timelord has superior advanced stats on both sides of the ball this year despite having 2 seasons under his belt vs 4 for Wood.

https://stathead.com/tiny/PIhcS

For his career, Timelord has a 99 DRating (excellent) vs Woods' 109 DRating (average).

Woods, 2020-21 TRB% is 19th best among 36 qualifying centers and 27th overall. He's average for his position. Timelord hasn't had enough PT to qualify, but he'd be tied for 4th overall.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 04:04:00 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Last year, we didn't have enough depth inside. This year, we do, but people want to trade a starter.

depth is great but this team has to much skill redundancy at the 5 unless Langford is healthy and makes a leap they are to thin on the wing. I like that Theis is willing to shoot the 3 but teams are simply not going to respect that shot and it will really hurt the Cs in the playoffs. The two big lineup will be unplayable in the playoffs. In order for the 2 big lineup to work the Cs need a Olynyk or Meyers Leonard type 3pt shooting big to play along side Thompson.

By retaining Theis, Thompson and R Williams for the entire season the Celtcs are putting a cap on how effective they can be in the playoffs. Flipping Theis for a player like Kleber, JaMychal Green, Bjelica, or Gay would still leave the Cs with size but also provide the spacing they will need come playoff time. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
You'll need 3 centers and 3 PGs for the playoffs. Unless there's some deal that really improves us, Theis stays.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 04:43:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

depth is great but this team has to much skill redundancy at the 5 unless Langford is healthy and makes a leap they are to thin on the wing. I like that Theis is willing to shoot the 3 but teams are simply not going to respect that shot and it will really hurt the Cs in the playoffs. The two big lineup will be unplayable in the playoffs. In order for the 2 big lineup to work the Cs need a Olynyk or Meyers Leonard type 3pt shooting big to play along side Thompson.

By retaining Theis, Thompson and R Williams for the entire season the Celtcs are putting a cap on how effective they can be in the playoffs. Flipping Theis for a player like Kleber, JaMychal Green, Bjelica, or Gay would still leave the Cs with size but also provide the spacing they will need come playoff time.

I agree that it would be nice to bring in a swing with range - and that seems very doable with the TPE - but that shouldn't have anything to do with our playoff starters. Kemba will push the Jays to both Forward spots with only one big starting and Smart at SG - just like last year. Perhaps we have *too much* depth at C right now, but I think that's just fine. Rest and injuries will occur and our bigs will get plenty of time to split time two-ways rather than three.

And for those who are doubtful about Kemba's ability to contribute this season? Well, then it really doesn't matter because that will put a real cap on our team's ceiling. We need a mostly healthy Kemba to have any chance of going all the way.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Look at all those lobs

Timelord has superior advanced stats on both sides of the ball this year despite having 2 seasons under his belt vs 4 for Wood.

https://stathead.com/tiny/PIhcS

For his career, Timelord has a 99 DRating (excellent) vs Woods' 109 DRating (average).

Woods, 2020-21 TRB% is 19th best among 36 qualifying centers and 27th overall. He's average for his position. Timelord hasn't had enough PT to qualify, but he'd be tied for 4th overall.

Kind of preaching to the choir here. I love timelord and think he should be getting 30 mins a night.

Still wanted woods as our pf.

Kemba/smart
Brown
Tatum
Wood
Timelord
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 06:21:44 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Theis can become a bit like the Rozier situation. We kept Rozier while there were a lot of pros and cons too:

pros:
  • injury insurance for injury-prone Kyrie Irving
  • insurance for if Irving would leave in free agency
  • depth for a contender that just reached ECF
cons:
  • minutes issues at the guard position
  • contract year/money on the line for Terry
  • Terry was a starter during the playoffs, adjustment needed to be a back-up again
  • may need to let him walk next season for nothing when a team overpays

Now Theis, pros and cons:

pros:
  • good player, bargain contract
  • depth at a position in case of injuries or foul trouble
  • no 3rd center on the roster
cons:
  • expiring contract, could be another guy leaving for nothing
  • very tradeable contract
  • could become a logjam at center, especially when we go away from the two-big starting line-up
  • Daniel may get unhappy if his minutes decline, also his main friends are off the team

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 06:26:01 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd like to wait and see 10 games or so, with starting 1 true big and see what that brings.

I'm certainly not asking for injuries, but swapping a guard with a center on the injury list would help tremendously in the short term   :-X.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 06:39:21 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Same fans that created a “Has Jaylen Brown leapfrogged Jayson Tatum thread.”

I’m surprised a lot of people are on board with trading Theis like that. Everyone assuming Timelord stays healthy? That would be a first. Dude is always hurt.

I’d trade Theis is the right deal but wouldn’t really have any issue with keeping him for depth. You never know what could happen.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 08:10:17 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Who knows but the gain from trading Theis doesn't look in balance to what the team might get back.

If he's gone next season so be it, but, Robert still looks like the backup center to me and Theis can play both.

He doesn't have much offense because it is his job to help the scorers score.

He gets out sized/muscled by NBA centers, but, 202 NBA games later it hasn't killed him yet.

Just don't ever seem to come out of a game saying to myself.."Theis really needed to give us more."

If Robert gets his minutes that will be great, Theis can actually sort of play the perimeter on offense sort of and hoist a three here and there and Robert doesn't do that stuff.

Hope we get a legit PF someday.