Author Topic: The silly conventional wisdom about FA's and Boston  (Read 6132 times)

Re: The silly conventional wisdom about FA's and Boston
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
No this is actually fact. Name me one big name free agent that has ever decided to come to Boston? Please don't use KG resigning as an example either. It's embarrassing. The following desinations are a lot more desirable than a mod market like Boston for reasons of weather taxes or endorsements.

Lakers
Heat
Rockets
Mavericks
Clippers
Bulls
Knicks
Nets
Hawks
Spurs
Suns
Wizards
Cavs

Some teams on the list have not signed a big name free agent such as the Wizards or Hawks but with KD ear markedtowards returning to Baltimore it puts them on here. Weather Geography Nightlife Endorsements and Money make up where a player wants to go. Boston will never get an elite FA. Everyone just needs to admit that and move on.

Wow, that is quite a baseless rant. We have never had the cap room to even try to sign a big time FA. So the trope that the Celtics can not sign a big name FA has no basis in fact. None.
completely agree.  baseless argument that cannot be supported by a single example of a top FA that the C's had the money to sign (never had it).

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 10:04:02 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
No this is actually fact. Name me one big name free agent that has ever decided to come to Boston? Please don't use KG resigning as an example either. It's embarrassing. The following desinations are a lot more desirable than a mod market like Boston for reasons of weather taxes or endorsements.

Lakers
Heat
Rockets
Mavericks
Clippers
Bulls
Knicks
Nets
Hawks
Spurs
Suns
Wizards
Cavs

Some teams on the list have not signed a big name free agent such as the Wizards or Hawks but with KD ear markedtowards returning to Baltimore it puts them on here. Weather Geography Nightlife Endorsements and Money make up where a player wants to go. Boston will never get an elite FA. Everyone just needs to admit that and move on.

really??  the wizards?  the cavs?  you have them on the list bc theyre contenders right now.  When we were contenders we were thought of as a hot FA destination as well.  Several years we got top tier FA's out of all the other contenders who only had the MLE to spend. 

It's laughable you mention the Cavs considering Chris Bosh reportedly wanted no part of going there, which played a role in all of them going to Miami
Greg

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'm not sure I'm really interested in looking to sign free agents whose main concerns are the quantity and quality of the beaches and strip clubs.

Call me crazy.

We'd be in deep trouble if location desirability was based on strip clubs  :'(. Imagine trying to close a deal at the Glass Slipper.

There's a reason Mo Vaughn was always driving to Providence.