Author Topic: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?  (Read 200912 times)

Re: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?
« Reply #1215 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Maybe I'm just really bored but I found myself back tracking the entire draft seeing what I could of done if I just stood pat and didn't make any trades. Really like what could of been. I want a re-do!
And so....the learning begins!!!

Yea I just kind of lost myself in the trades lol lesson learned
definitely lots to learn from.  3rd year doing this and still trying to find the perfect nuances to getting a good team together.

Things I have learned though:
1. picking early in the draft rounds is usually preferable to picking early in the team draft.  The first few picks will always land you an all-star.  Depending on which team you end up with, you might be starting off with 1 all-star already.  Also, the early picks in rounds are worth more than their weight in gold for trades.
2. Don't trade for the sake of trading.  understood that some trades are made for the fun of the game but think those deals through before pulling the trigger.  if someone else really wants one of your guys, there's a reason they want to unload what they're offering.
3. Keep the first round pick unless offered a ridiculously lopsided deal in your favor.
4.there's lots of great value players through at least round 7.  Acquire as many picks prior to the 8th round as possible.  Move assets like higher picks and non-cornerstone players to upgrade lower picks into mid-range picks.  A high 2nd, 10th and 11th for a low 3rd, 6th and 7th will pay off in the long run most times unless by sheer luck a great player is there in the 2nd round.

just my insights.  please feel free to debate their merits.  I'd be interested in anyone with a different take on things.

Yea I think picking late in the teams/early in the rounds is the way to go. There were plenty of teams if the bottom five that I would of bad no problem selecting and getting high picks.

I think Edgar's pick is a perfect example. He got Jefferson/Favors and then got to add Derick Rose to that group and continue to get high draft picks.

I think it depends.  The two best options to me are still landing the Heat or Thunder.  From there, it all gets pretty subjective.

Yea that's true. There are probably 3 teams or so that you really want but after that through the early-mid selections there's no real advantages imo
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1216 on: March 05, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Monta dropped 34 last night against a playoff team with 4 steals to add.

So Monta getting buckets plus the teams' all out defense. Clearly Chicago wins all the way.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1217 on: March 06, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
A little quote from our friends over on Celticshub.

"The findings of the paper were even more interesting.  Even though the paper was titled “The Dwight Effect” Larry Sanders proved to be the best interior defender in the NBA. "

http://celticshub.com/2013/03/06/the-dwight-effect-and-kevin-garnett/?utm_source=CelticsHub.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23celtics+%23nba

I'm now taking reservations on the Larry Sanders band wagon.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #1218 on: March 06, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Yea I think picking late in the teams/early in the rounds is the way to go. There were plenty of teams of the bottom five that I would of had no problem selecting and getting high picks.

I think Edgar's pick is a perfect example. He got Jefferson/Favors and then got to add Derick Rose to that group and continue to get high draft picks.

By the way- would you have kept Jefferson? I don't think I would have

« Reply #1219 on: March 10, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"The findings of the paper were even more interesting.  Even though the paper was titled “The Dwight Effect” Larry Sanders proved to be the best interior defender in the NBA. "

http://celticshub.com/2013/03/06/the-dwight-effect-and-kevin-garnett/?utm_source=CelticsHub.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23celtics+%23nba

I think I just kinda overlooked your team for no reason at all. You built a nice squad there evantime!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1220 on: March 10, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

you know, to be completely honest I'm an idiot. Coming into the draft Sanders was the guy I really wanted with my first round pick as I thought a defensive athletic stud like him would be perfect next to Kevin Love.

I picked directly in front of you and for some reason I still don't know, I changed my game plan at the last minute and took Vucevic instead.

So needless to say I am a huge fan of Sanders and I almost took Millwaukee as my pick2 with Jennings/Sanders.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1221 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:23 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Yea I think picking late in the teams/early in the rounds is the way to go. There were plenty of teams of the bottom five that I would of had no problem selecting and getting high picks.

By the way- would you have kept Jefferson? I don't think I would have

I'm not sure, I am a little higher on Jefferson than a lot of people on this board but I believe a good fit for him would be at PF and next to a defensive center such as Noah would be awesome
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #1222 on: March 10, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think I just kinda overlooked your team for no reason at all. You built a nice squad there evantime!
Thanks.
I wish we voted on this one like the summer draft because I think I had a chance at winning.

Hopefully I can take this momentum into the draft in a few months.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #1223 on: March 10, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Last One, Cuz I feels bad:

IP's Thoughts On The Pick Two Clippers:

PG Chris Paul, Norris Cole
SG Iman Shumpert, Marcus Thornton
SF Kyle Korver, Corey Brewer, Victor Claver
PF Blake Griffin, Thomas Robinson
C Larry Sanders, Greg Stiemsma, Timo Mozgov

I love: Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, and Larry Sanders. All three guys have warts (CP3's health, Griffin's lack of a jumper or versatile offensive game, Larry Sanders' small sample size), but the positives are just so glaringly bright. Chris Paul is the best point guard in the NBA, bar none. Blake Griffin, while his game hasn't evolved really since last season, is still as dominating a force at the 4 the NBA has during the first 3 quarters of each game. Larry Sanders, for all his burgeoning All-Defensive hype has even started to play within himself offensively enough to justify keeping him on the floor. He's an elite (at this point, saying 'great' isn't doing justice) defender who learned to stop loving the midrange jumper, and has more than doubled his attempts at the hoop. Elite rebounder, elite defender, plays within himself offensively. Basically I just described Tyson Chandler. That's a good thing.

I like: The depth all over the place.
I almost made this an 'I Love', but Thomas Robinson held me back. Love Cole behind CP3, love Thornton to keep the second unit hot, love Brewer and Stiemsma.

I'm neutral on: Shump-Shump and Korver
Shump-Shump in theory is a great fit here. But in practice, he's played terribly this season while recovering from injury and this is a win now team that doesn't really have the time to wait around for Shump-Shump to get into form. Korver...meh. Vanilla ice cream if I ever saw it. Doesn't hurt you, doesn't help you.

I Hate: Nothing really. Great team.

Actual Success: I can't picture the west in my mind right now, but I'd put this team above Dallas or La for starters. If they're not the odds on favorite, they're right there.

Pick 2 Success: Kept Paul and Griffin, improved at the 5, improved the bench. The easiest pick-2 team, sure, but a job well-done nonetheless.

« Reply #1224 on: March 10, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its official. Dwight Howard has now become a more embarrassing free throw shooter than Shaq. If I am a coach of a high school and I end up with one of these special big men that look like they could dominate in the NBA, I'm having him take 2 entire practices a week to just shoot free throws. His physical dominance and talent will teach him all the other things but as a high school coach its my job to prepare him and free throw shooting shouldn't be an adventure. An NBA player shouldn't shoot below 70% from the line.

After having seen Howard about 4-5 times over the last couple weeks its pretty obvious the defensively he isn't the Howard of 3-4 years ago. Not close. He's starting to get back that double hop that helps him block shots so well but the lift isn't there like it used to be and he is slow on rotations and weak side help. He's also become, in that offense, an after thought, mostly setting screens and waiting for a dump off pass from team mates that drive the lane.

All that said, that makes it impossible for the Lakers to have been one of the two contending teams here. Williams and Howard need to have their games be like they were in 2009 for the Lakers to go anywhere it is now obvious to me, after seeing so much of Howard recently, that he isn't there and Williams, though playing better, still isn't there yet either.

Too bad too. The talent is there but either physically or mentally, these two aren't ready to win a championship, in this exercise or the real NBA, anytime soon.

« Reply #1225 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Its official. Dwight Howard has now become a more embarrassing free throw shooter than Shaq. If I am a coach of a high school and I end up with one of these special big men that look like they could dominate in the NBA, I'm having him take 2 entire practices a week to just shoot free throws. His physical dominance and talent will teach him all the other things but as a high school coach its my job to prepare him and free throw shooting shouldn't be an adventure. An NBA player shouldn't shoot below 70% from the line.

After having seen Howard about 4-5 times over the last couple weeks its pretty obvious the defensively he isn't the Howard of 3-4 years ago. Not close. He's starting to get back that double hop that helps him block shots so well but the lift isn't there like it used to be and he is slow on rotations and weak side help. He's also become, in that offense, an after thought, mostly setting screens and waiting for a dump off pass from team mates that drive the lane.

All that said, that makes it impossible for the Lakers to have been one of the two contending teams here. Williams and Howard need to have their games be like they were in 2009 for the Lakers to go anywhere it is now obvious to me, after seeing so much of Howard recently, that he isn't there and Williams, though playing better, still isn't there yet either.

Too bad too. The talent is there but either physically or mentally, these two aren't ready to win a championship, in this exercise or the real NBA, anytime soon.

I think your supporting cast might keep you in it. I agree with your evaluation of Dwight + Deron but I think the strength and depth of your squad probably keeps your Lakers team in the mix.

One of the best benches in the league. A strong third star in Kirilenko. Very good fit and balance throughout the roster.

« Reply #1226 on: March 19, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Paid. Just saying its paid.

« Reply #1227 on: March 19, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Paid. Just saying its paid.

I just hope you did it the hard way, one TP at a time, for one hundred hours.  ;D

Probably used a moderator cheat code  ::)

« Reply #1228 on: March 19, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
It's a good thing Jeff Green was drafted by me. #CountOnJeff
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #1229 on: March 19, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's a good thing Jeff Green was drafted by me. #CountOnJeff

Haha.  I'm glad to see that Green has validated our pick of him in the CelticsBlog Draft.  Nobody is scoring on Thabo/Green/Lebron/Varejao.  (In our alternate reality, Varejao never develops a blood clot.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes