Author Topic: The Truth or The Flash  (Read 1639 times)

The Truth or The Flash
« on: August 13, 2023, 11:00:36 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Paul Pierce continues to publicly argue that he was a better player than Dwyane Wade. Although it’s a childish narrative on the part of Pierce, it’s an interesting argument.

IMO, Wade had the highest peak between the two (2009-10), but does that mean he is definitively the better player?

Obviously Pierce is much taller than Wade, whom was only 6’3 without shoes. He definitely had an advantage being switched on defensively and (the reverse) offensively. Pierce was by far the better shooter and although Wade would have a higher average in assists, I believe Pierce had a better range of passes than Wade.

Wade definitely had the better teammates & surrounding infrastructure to flourish, whereas Pierce was drafted into a Celtics organization at its lowest & most dysfunctional point in its history.

What’s your opinion on this discussion?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 11:37:11 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: The Truth or The Flash
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 11:09:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Wade was better as he had 2 seasons that were FAR better than any season in Pierce's career.  Pierce played longer so he scored more points and had more rebounds, but even in less seasons Wade ended up with more assists and even had more blocks.  Per game, Wade was better by over 2 ppg. 

Now sure, Pierce almost certainly would have had more than 1 title, if he played with "prime" Shaq and Lebron, but that is because of Shaq and Lebron, not because Pierce is better than Wade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 11:28:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Now sure, Pierce almost certainly would have had more than 1 title, if he played with "prime" Shaq and Lebron, but that is because of Shaq and Lebron, not because Pierce is better than Wade.

Pierce would get more out of those players because his skill-set fits better alongside other great players. He enables them to be their best. He was a much better outside shooter than Wade. He provides more floor spacing. Highly valuable to a post player like Shaq or a driver like LeBron. Pierce is also far less ball dominant than Wade. He will not dribble it as much or hold onto the ball as much. He will share it more. Pierce is easier for talented players to play alongside and flourish.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 11:53:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Wade's prime was better, but Pierce's game was better suited to scaling to different team settings.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 06:08:09 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
It’s close. I think Pierce was a more versatile player, but I think Wade was a better player. Like if I had to start a franchise and the only two options were Wade or Pierce, I might pick Wade.

As an aside, I think Tatum’s going to be a better player (if he isn’t already) than either of these 2 legends. Isn’t that something?
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 06:15:45 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
I think it’s quite difficult to say, but Wade absolutely carried the Heat to that first championship in a way that Pierce was never quite able to. Whatever our opinions on the refereeing might be, the guy was an absolute force before his leg injuries started to add up.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.