Author Topic: 2012 CB Draft Western Conference Playoffs: (3) Lakers vs. (6) Jazz  (Read 22235 times)

Re: 2012 CB Draft Western Conference Playoffs: (3) Lakers vs. (6) Jazz
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Jazz.

How will you defend Rudy Gay?

Man to Man?

Also what is the pace both teams want to play at?
Yep, straight up.

Pace = no extremes. Middle of the pack. Slower than average when Asik is on the court. Quicker than average when Asik is on the bench. Never at an extreme level (quick or slow) though.

Ok. Now why is that? I believe Deron Williams controls the pace of this series. But why is the pace you described above advantageous enough to your team that you pull the upset and win the series?
Because Deron Williams doesn't play at his best in extreme tempos (slow or fast).

Deron Williams is most well-rounded and fundamentally sound point guard in all of basketball. He is a very difficult guy to matchup against because of his well-rounded skill-set and combination of good size and quickness.

You want to keep the offense as mixed as possible to give Deron Williams as many options as possible in how he chooses to attack his defender / opposing team's defense. So he can best take advantage of his well-rounded skill-level and physical talent. 

You don't want it to be an all-out uptempo game because his decision making in transition is probably the weakest area of his game offensively. Deron is not a type of PG who is well suited to a SSOL type offense. And you don't want it to be a snail's pace because Deron Williams is a good player in transition. Just not a dominant one (like Nash is). You want a mixed offense.

Similar to how Jerry Sloan used Deron Williams in Utah.

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
All I see looking at the thread is myself, SO and Who. Is this what happens when a thread lacks drama and incendiary rhetoric? What do you people want from us?

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Jazz.

How will you defend Rudy Gay?

Man to Man?

Yep, straight up.

Pace = no extremes. Middle of the pack. Slower than average when Asik is on the court. Quicker than average when Asik is on the bench. Never at an extreme level (quick or slow) though.

Ok. Now why is that? I believe Deron Williams controls the pace of this series. But why is the pace you described above advantageous enough to your team that you pull the upset and win the series?
Because Deron Williams doesn't play at his best in extreme tempos (slow or fast).

Deron Williams is most well-rounded and fundamentally sound point guard in all of basketball. He is a very difficult guy to matchup against because of his well-rounded skill-set and combination of good size and quickness.

You want to keep the offense as mixed as possible to give Deron Williams as many options as possible in how he chooses to attack his defender / opposing team's defense. So he can best take advantage of his well-rounded skill-level and physical talent. 

You don't want it to be an all-out uptempo game because his decision making in transition is probably the weakest area of his game offensively. Deron is not a type of PG who is well suited to a SSOL type offense. And you don't want it to be a snail's pace because Deron Williams is a good player in transition. Just not a dominant one (like Nash is). You want a mixed offense.

Similar to how Jerry Sloan used Deron Williams in Utah.

I honestly agree with all of this. Nice answer.

How does D-Will counter the aggressive defense he will face from both TA and Lowry?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

While we won't be running the 7 seconds of less offense by any means, we'll certainly look to push the ball a lot. I think the speed advantages in the front court will lead to A LOT of easy transition hoops. Z Bo and Asik just won't be able to keep up with LMA and Horford, and we have the perimeter defense to be able to capitalize.

Half court, we'll be pretty heavy on the pick and roll. Probably looking to target Z-Bo

What is your strategy for accomplishing playing a fast paced game when Deron Williams is on the opposite side of the court?

Elite perimeter defense.

Whoever ends up covering Deron Williams will give him trouble from the start. Then there's two super athletes on the wings to make passing lanes a nightmare and to keep their hands active for strips and tips.

Any chances of using double teams on Williams to get the ball out of his hands? Will you do any press? Or is it all man to man in regards to Deron?

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
For both teams. What is the expected impact you see TA's defense having on D-Will and why?

I think TA is one of the best (if not the best) defensive matchups in the league against Deron Williams. I always liked TA's defense on Deron when TA was with the Celtics and wanted Doc to use TA more against Deron.

I think TA will be effective in decreasing Deron's production and making his life difficult. Especially so in one-on-one situations.

How does D-Will counter the aggressive defense he will face from both TA and Lowry?

When TA (or Lowry) is on Deron, we won't be making many changes to the game plan. We will continue execute the offense which will have lots of screens both on (pick and rolls) and off the ball (both as a screen setter and running off screens) for Deron (and others) to take advantage of. We feel that is the best way for Deron to attack TA. But that is our game plan anyway. Lots of screen action off the ball and some on the ball. Lots of cutting.

Plus, we will give an increased number of opportunities to Gordon Hayward against Kyle Lowry because we believe Lowry to be an ineffective defensive option against Hayward. Again, lots of screen action for Hayward (and Gallo).

We'll want to limit the number of one-on-one situations (iso type situations) Deron has against TA but he'll still have to play through some when there are breakdowns offensively (which there always are).

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

While we won't be running the 7 seconds of less offense by any means, we'll certainly look to push the ball a lot. I think the speed advantages in the front court will lead to A LOT of easy transition hoops. Z Bo and Asik just won't be able to keep up with LMA and Horford, and we have the perimeter defense to be able to capitalize.

Half court, we'll be pretty heavy on the pick and roll. Probably looking to target Z-Bo

What is your strategy for accomplishing playing a fast paced game when Deron Williams is on the opposite side of the court?

Elite perimeter defense.

Whoever ends up covering Deron Williams will give him trouble from the start. Then there's two super athletes on the wings to make passing lanes a nightmare and to keep their hands active for strips and tips.

Any chances of using double teams on Williams to get the ball out of his hands? Will you do any press? Or is it all man to man in regards to Deron?

Pressing Deron is a little foolish, he's too good a passer and in a full court press our bigs can't rotate and help on whomever he passses to. That being said, he will see some double teams in the half-court.

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
For both teams. What is the expected impact you see TA's defense having on D-Will and why?

I think TA is one of the best (if not the best) defensive matchups in the league against Deron Williams. I always liked TA's defense on Deron when TA was with the Celtics and wanted Doc to use TA more against Deron.

I think TA will be effective in decreasing Deron's production and making his life difficult. Especially so in one-on-one situations.

When TA (or Lowry) is on Deron, we won't be making many changes to the game plan. We will continue execute the offense which will have lots of screens both on (pick and rolls) and off the ball (both as a screen setter and running off screens) for Deron (and others) to take advantage of. We feel that is the best way for Deron to attack TA. But that is our game plan anyway. Lots of screen action off the ball and some on the ball. Lots of cutting.

Plus, we will give an increased number of opportunities to Gordon Hayward against Kyle Lowry because we believe Lowry to be an ineffective defensive option against Hayward. Again, lots of screen action for Hayward (and Gallo).

We'll want to limit the number of one-on-one situations (iso type situations) Deron has against TA but he'll still have to play through some when there are breakdowns offensively (which there always are).

Very Honest Who. Refreshing to read. Sloan and his screens with Deron is a good strategy. Speaking of Sloan and Deron, how are they these days? You guys made the playoffs so should I assume you have put your beef behind you?

How do you feel Gallo does against Gay? Why do you like that matchup?

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Elite perimeter defense.

Pressing Deron is a little foolish, he's too good a passer and in a full court press our bigs can't rotate and help on whomever he passses to. That being said, he will see some double teams in the half-court.

I would expect to see double teams. Try and make someone else bet you instead of Deron.

How do you feel about the Gay Vs Gallo matchup? Do you think you have an advantage there?

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Sloan and his screens with Deron is a good strategy. Speaking of Sloan and Deron, how are they these days? You guys made the playoffs so should I assume you have put your beef behind you?

I didn't manage to get Jerry Sloan back to Utah unfortunately. I would have loved to have brought him back and keep my team-focus on former/current Jazz or Jazz-like players. Golden State took him before I could get to him. Ah well.

Anyway, Stan Van Gundy is the coach here. I think he is a very creative coach offensively who can adapt to his personnel -- from the Turkoglu, Rashard, Dwight offense in Orlando to the Shaq/Wade offense in Miami and prior to that the Odom/Wade/Caron/E.Jones Miami offense. He has shown great flexibility in adjusting to his personnel to best take advantage of their talents.

This is a different type of roster to what SVG has had in the past but I believe he is a strong enough coach to adapt well to it and this is the type of system I would like (and expect) him to run.

I think SVG adds good value to our team. I think LAL has a top notch head coach too if my memory serves me. I can't remember who but I think it was someone very good. Oh, Rick Carlisle? I think it was Carlisle.

I'd give Rudy Gay the matchup advantage there. Too quick and explosive for Gallo. We'll just be asking Gallo to play Gay as well as he can defensively and make Gay work hard on the other end of the floor and live with that. Trust the team defense.

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Sloan and his screens with Deron is a good strategy. Speaking of Sloan and Deron, how are they these days? You guys made the playoffs so should I assume you have put your beef behind you?

I didn't manage to get Jerry Sloan back to Utah unfortunately. I would have loved to have brought him back and keep my team-focus on former/current Jazz or Jazz-like players. Golden State took him before I could get to him. Ah well.

Anyway, Stan Van Gundy is the coach here. I think he is a very creative coach offensively who can adapt to his personnel -- from the Turkoglu, Rashard, Dwight offense in Orlando to the Shaq/Wade offense in Miami and prior to that the Odom/Wade/Caron/E.Jones Miami offense. He has shown great flexibility in adjusting to his personnel to best take advantage of their talents.

This is a different type of roster to what SVG has had in the past but I believe he is a strong enough coach to adapt well to it and this is the type of system I would like (and expect) him to run.

I think SVG adds good value to our team. I think LAL has a top notch head coach too if my memory serves me. I can't remember who but I think it was someone very good. Oh, Rick Carlisle? I think it was Carlisle.

I'd give Rudy Gay the matchup advantage there. Too quick and explosive for Gallo. We'll just be asking Gallo to play Gay as well as he can defensively and make Gay work hard on the other end of the floor and live with that. Trust the team defense.

My bad. When I read this below I just automatically thought of Sloan. I guess it was the mention of his name, the fact you have D Will, and are the Jazz.

Edit: Plus, it's worth noting that SVG's defensive philosophies revolve heavily around not fouling. About playing position defense, forcing misses and getting rebounds. Rather than making higher-risk defensive plays and trying to force turnovers like Scott Skiles. Or a Jerry Sloan does who believes in fouling hard and often to send a message.

Just disregard that one.

You give Gay the advantage. Would you say that overall LAL then has the advantage when comparing the two starting lineups. Deron is the best overall player in my opinion in this series.

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
How do you feel about the Gay Vs Gallo matchup? Do you think you have an advantage there?

Yes. In fact, we feel we have the two biggest mismatches in the series, the other being Horford over Asik. Rudy's just too complete a player for Gallo to deal with defensively and Rudy has the size, length and defensive ability to consistently disrupt Gallo on the other end.

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Would you say that overall LAL then has the advantage when comparing the two starting lineups. Deron is the best overall player in my opinion in this series.
Hmm ... not sure.

PG: Deron vs Lowry = advantage Utah
SG: Hayward vs TA = neutral
SF: Gallo vs Gay = advantage LAL
PF: Z-Randolph vs Horford = unsure
C:  Asik vs Aldridge = advantage LAL

I am not sure whether to call Z-Bo vs Horford a slight advantage for Utah or a neutral matchup. Not sure how much of a bump Horford gets from sliding back to PF offensively.

I think Horford would be very effective in punishing smaller PFs (like Kirilenko) but not sure how Horford would do against a power based guy like Z-Bo. Horford's post game is still very robotic. Without a power advantage, I am not sure how potent a go-to scorer he'll be. I have been disappointed by his post game's lack of development since Horford came into the league. Still, I'm not sure either way. It could be neutral.

When they switch Kyle Lowry onto Gordon Hayward (and TA onto Deron decreasing Deron's matchup advantage), I think that gives Utah another matchup advantage with Hayward.

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
All I see looking at the thread is myself, SO and Who. Is this what happens when a thread lacks drama and incendiary rhetoric? What do you people want from us?

Kane's certainly holdin it down

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Q for Utah:

I know you mentioned that Heyward would have a nice matchup advantage (offensively) against Lowry, but there's very little supporting evidence on him that suggests he can post a defender up effectively. 

How would you plan to maximize this mismatch? 

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 01:09:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Q for Utah:

I know you mentioned that Heyward would have a nice matchup advantage (offensively) against Lowry, but there's very little supporting evidence on him that suggests he can post a defender up effectively. 

How would you plan to maximize this mismatch?

It doesn't need to be a post up.

It's the size advantage off the pick and roll. Being able to get a step in front of him (off the pick) and then hold the smaller player off with your body while you dribble into the lane (not being able to get back in the play).

It's being able to see over the top of smaller defender and find passing lanes consistently. Being able to then make those passes with less disruption. Facilitating the offense. Post entry passes. Finding cutters. Hitting guys coming off of screens. Passes off the dribble in the PnR.

It's getting your shot attempt off against a weaker shot-contest due to the lack of size/length. Spot up shooting from behind the arc. Catch and shoot opportunities running off screens. Cuts to the basket and finishing around the rim. Being able to shoot a higher percentage because of a lesser shot-contest.

The size discrepancy comes into play in lots of different areas. Not just post-ups.

And I think Hayward has the skill-level in several of those areas to have a greater impact with Lowry on him (in contrast to TA who will lock him down).

-----------------------------------

As for how we'd look to take advantage of that -- most of it will just come within the flow of the offense. Slight increase in the number of plays that more-involve Hayward.

But it's not like we are not going to dramatically change what we do and run the offense through Hayward. He is not that level of an offensive threat. He is the fourth option who'll see a little more responsibility and a bump his own effectiveness.

I think TA would nullify Hayward easily enough though. Not a strong enough creator to attack a defender like TA consistently.