Author Topic: 2012 CB Draft Western Conference Playoffs: (1) Mavericks vs. (8) Nuggets  (Read 21547 times)

Re: 2012 CB Draft Western Conference Playoffs: (1) Mavericks vs. (8) Nuggets
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Denver,

What is your strategy for defending LeBron

Dallas,

What is your strategy for defending KG?

I'm all set discussing the matchup.  I'm just going to post pictures of the American flag.

I hear that's what passes for analysis in the CB Draft these days. :P

I'm burnt out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 06:30:18 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Lol you think you're burnt out...  :P

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:43:16 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I mean, seriously, the kid is just that good.  Irving has handles like Iverson / Tim Hardaway.  It's really impressive to watch.  Plus, he's an amazingly efficient player, and he was the most clutch player in the entire NBA last year.

Roy Hobbs: One liners and memes are the decline of the Celticsblog draft as we know it. But .GIFs man, those things are legit.

Gifs showing off a players basketball skills against other elite players?  Is discussing basketball off limits now, too?

I mean, it's about as valid as a youtube highlight reel.

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Elton Brand is a much better defender than Chris "Ru Paul" Bosh, and is a more efficient jump shooter, as well.  He'll give our team at least 90% of what Bosh did.

Haha...wow.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Elton Brand is a much better defender than Chris "Ru Paul" Bosh, and is a more efficient jump shooter, as well.  He'll give our team at least 90% of what Bosh did.

Haha...wow.

Brand plays much better defense.  Do you disagree with that?

Brand was a better rebounder and a slightly better passer than Brand, and he shot an overall higher percentage.  He was more efficient on long jumpers.  I can only imagine that Brand's efficiency would go up being set up by Lebron, rather than Jrue Holiday.

In terms of win shares, the two players measured out as equals.  Brand had a better defensive rating, and almost an identical offensive rating.  Their PERs were almost identical (18.0 vs. 18.9).  I think 90% was fair.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Denver,

What is your strategy for defending LeBron

Dallas,

What is your strategy for defending KG?

I'm all set discussing the matchup.  I'm just going to post pictures of the American flag.

I hear that's what passes for analysis in the CB Draft these days. :P

I'm burnt out.

Only if you changed your name to something American, like say, " The All American nice Guys". Otherwise, you're just a poser.

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Lebron James+Chris Bosh >>>LeBron James+Elton Brand

But,

Lebron+Dwade+Bosh>Lebron+Dwade+Brand

Because Boshs role gets minimalized. Brand is not 90% the player Bosh is, but I do think if you're saying Irving is the Wade and Brand brings the Bosh, you are maximizing Brand. Not 90%, but he will be probably a good fit.

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Haha...wow.

Brand plays much better defense.  Do you disagree with that?

Brand was a better rebounder and a slightly better passer than Brand, and he shot an overall higher percentage.  He was more efficient on long jumpers.  I can only imagine that Brand's efficiency would go up being set up by Lebron, rather than Jrue Holiday.

In terms of win shares, the two players measured out as equals.  Brand had a better defensive rating, and almost an identical offensive rating.  Their PERs were almost identical (18.0 vs. 18.9).  I think 90% was fair.

1) I disagree that Brand plays 'much better defense'.

2) Iggy sets up Brand. It would be like saying Kyrie Irving, was doing the playmaking for you. And in that regard, statistically LeBron isnt better IIRC.

3) Bosh as a center is a much better player than Elton Brand. although, I understand you're arguing Boshs role on the Heat vs Brands on the Mavs, That's a nuance some might have missed.

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

1) I disagree that Brand plays 'much better defense'. ce some might have missed.

Brand plays elite-level defense. 

Bosh plays Ru Paul level defense. 

Elite defense > Ru Paul defense

Thus, Brand = much better than Bosh

In terms of your other point, I think you basically have it right.  If you replaced Bosh with Brand on the Heat, you'd be getting a fairly close facsimile.

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Haha...wow.

I thought the same thing...I think we are "embellishing" Elton Brand, a bit.

If Elton was sniffing Chris Boshs' talent level, PHI wouldn't have amnestied him.

Is Elton still a good player? Yes. But he is clearly not the same player he was 2-3 yrs ago - and certainly not KG or Bosh's level right now.

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm on break, but I'll be back to offer further rebuttals.

And BOY I've got some, lol.......................

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Haha...wow.

I thought the same thing...I think we are "embellishing" Elton Brand, a bit.

If Elton was sniffing Chris Boshs' talent level, PHI wouldn't have amnestied him.

Is Elton still a good player? Yes. But he is clearly not the same player he was 2-3 yrs ago - and certainly not KG or Bosh's level right now.

Defensively, Brand was an elite player last year.  Offensively, he was solid, and in his role on the Mavericks, he'll be spectacular, and will largely replicate what Bosh does on the Heat.

You're underrating Brand a bit, I think.  When healthy, he took it to the Celtics last season.  I cited that stats above, but 16 points on something like 58% shooting against KG, while holding KG to 44% shooting.  That's not the type of player you treat as a nobody.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:53:42 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

1) I disagree that Brand plays 'much better defense'. ce some might have missed.

In terms of your other point, I think you basically have it right.  If you replaced Bosh with Brand on the Heat, you'd be getting a fairly close facsimile.

This is has been bugging me all draft, so let's air out this 'Ru Paul' thing.

Bosh is not on KG's level on defense, but lets stop pretending he is a net negative there or something. The man had one really bad game against Shaq. Playing Shaq just isn't his strong suit. It isn't Elton Brand's strong suit either. Bosh isn't the toughest guy in the league, but neither is Pau Gasol, but that doesn't mean he is a bad defender. Serge Ibaka wouldn't have faired better, neither woud Brand. Well actually Brand might have, he's stronger.

The point here is that unless I'm facing Bynum or Dwight Howard, I don't think there are many bigs left in the NBA where Boshs defense isn't a plus. And factor in his extremely versatile offensive game, he's a lot more than just 'Ru Paul'.

Now back to the record at hand, how does Trevor Ariza fair defending Lebron James, and is it good enough to stick Boozer on Jeff 'no heart' Green?

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
dallas

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This is has been bugging me all draft, so let's air out this 'Ru Paul' thing.

Bosh is not on KG's level on defense, but lets stop pretending he is a net negative there or something. The man had one really bad game against Shaq. Playing Shaq just isn't his strong suit. It isn't Elton Brand's strong suit either. Bosh isn't the toughest guy in the league, but neither is Pau Gasol, but that doesn't mean he is a bad defender. Serge Ibaka wouldn't have faired better, neither woud Brand. Well actually Brand might have, he's stronger.

The point here is that unless I'm facing Bynum or Dwight Howard, I don't think there are many bigs left in the NBA where Boshs defense isn't a plus. And factor in his extremely versatile offensive game, he's a lot more than just 'Ru Paul'.

Bosh plays sub-Bargnani level defense in the post.  I'd rather have Mikki Moore defending the paint.  The only reason that Bosh doesn't get obliterated more often is that he's got Lebron covering for him.