Author Topic: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Voting Analysis : Team of the Future  (Read 579145 times)

Re: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Roster Analysis Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Buffalo Braves

PG: Chris Duhon
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Andrei Kirilenko
PF: Antawn Jamison
C: Dwight Howard
Bench: Linas Kleiza (SF/PF), Zaza Pachulia (PF/C)

Thoughts?

I like the additions to teh bench. Duhon is the point guard on the hottest hot seat right now in the NBA, and the fact that while he got 11 and 7 nobody is happy with him should tell you something.

I like the inside out thing you've got going on, but wonder A) how AK47 fits in, B) If he's even really that good, and C) How spikey will his hair be.

Trade AK for a more natural SF and I think you have a championship team.

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2009, 06:17:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Detroit Pistons through 7 rounds:

C: Samuel Dalembert
PF: Amare Stoudemire
SF: Gerald Wallace
SG: Rip Hamilton
PG: Mo Williams
6: Al Harrington
7: Jarret Jack
8: Matt Barnes

Need a back-up center and a shooter off the bench.. thoughts?

I like your additions in the 7th.

My main concern is the one I addressed earlier:  too many flakes.  Dalembert, Amare', and Harrington have all had their effort questioned.  Amare' and Harrington are allergic to defense.  Mo Williams' mouth writes checks his game can't cash.

You're definitely a playoff team, but I don't think you're an elite contender.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Buffalo Braves

PG: Chris Duhon
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Andrei Kirilenko
PF: Antawn Jamison
C: Dwight Howard
Bench: Linas Kleiza (SF/PF), Zaza Pachulia (PF/C)

Thoughts?

This is definitely a strong team.  I'm not overly high on Duhon, and AK47 is a bit of a headcase who has a sporadic game.  However, the Howard/Jamison frontcourt is very, very strong, both in terms of scoring and rebounding.  Your team has pretty good balance.  I like how Portland stacks up, but you very well may be battling Evantime to see who meets us in the Western Conference Finals. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Portland would like some constructive criticism of its roster, as well:

C: Shaq
PF: J. O'Neal
SF: Rashard
SG: Redd
PG:  Bibby

Bench:  Manu/Miller/Delonte/Gomes/Turiaf

as a division rival i believe this is the best team. they are long and i LOVE my boy Redd (buckeye alum like me)....he is the steal of the draft...lewis is always a tough match up and i like getting shaq over hawes.

they have a real scorer off the bench (manu), a grinder in miller and a starter in west.

i like what they have done so far..to the point i almost offered a deal to them for one of their players...they just need to stay healthy (manu)

Posts like this will get you TPs.  ;D

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
C: Samuel Dalembert
PF: Amare Stoudemire
SF: Gerald Wallace
SG: Rip Hamilton
PG: Mo Williams
6: Al Harrington
7: Jarret Jack
8: Matt Barnes

There are a lot of attitudes here that I'm not sure will mesh here. Also, I don't know if I like the fact that most of your three point shooting comes from your 1.

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Couldn't find Portland's original post. But I do think that the amount of time missed due to injury over the past couple of years on that team signals that it is two steps too far over the hill to be a contender.

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think you need a couple more rugged, battle tested guys.  Only Howard has been deep into the playoffs, I think, and since then he's devolved into a lackadaisical pot head.

I think you've got maybe too many young players, none of whom (outside of Big Al) have reached truly elite status.  That's a bad recipe, because I think it's hard to determine a pecking order.

If I were you, I'd make my goal in future rounds to grab leadership type guys, maybe who have lesser numbers but who can teach the young guys what it means to play in the league.

This year's Portland team got there without much experience. I see my team as very similar.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2009, 06:27:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Couldn't find Portland's original post. But I do think that the amount of time missed due to injury over the past couple of years on that team signals that it is two steps too far over the hill to be a contender.

You don't think they're even a contender?  I think that's a bridge too far.

Here's the original post:

Portland would like some constructive criticism of its roster, as well:

C: Shaq
PF: J. O'Neal
SF: Rashard
SG: Redd
PG:  Bibby

Bench:  Manu/Miller/Delonte/Gomes/Turiaf

I think even if you assume that only one of Manu / Redd is there at the end of the year, we're still a contender.

Shaq / Miller
O'Neal / Turiaf
Rashard / Gomes
Manu / Delonte
Bibby / Delonte

Heck, even if you took Manu *and* Redd away, we're still a playoff team, in my eyes.

(Also, Manu and Redd are too young to be "over the hill".)

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2009, 06:30:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
(Also, Manu and Redd are too young to be "over the hill".)

Manu has a bald head and Redd has old man face. You callin my eyes a liar, Roy?

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I think you need a couple more rugged, battle tested guys.  Only Howard has been deep into the playoffs, I think, and since then he's devolved into a lackadaisical pot head.

I think you've got maybe too many young players, none of whom (outside of Big Al) have reached truly elite status.  That's a bad recipe, because I think it's hard to determine a pecking order.

If I were you, I'd make my goal in future rounds to grab leadership type guys, maybe who have lesser numbers but who can teach the young guys what it means to play in the league.

This year's Portland team got there without much experience. I see my team as very similar.

A few issues:

1) Portland didn't necessarily "get there".  They had a decent regular season, but lost in the first round;

2) We're playing in a deeper league, in my opinion, with more "win now" teams;

3) Don't underestimate the leadership of Steve Blake.  (You already have JP).

No team in history has won a championship -- or come close -- with a roster made up of predominantly young, inexperienced guys.

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
Toronto Raptors
Pg:Andre Miller/Aaron Brooks
SG:Arron Afflalo
SF:Ron Artest
PF:Kevin Garnett
C:Marcus Camby/Big Z

What do you all think?

I do recognize Afflalo is the weak point of my starting 5 however I think you can do alot worse than a defensive guy that can shoot threes

Don't think I'm missing the irony here, but who scores for your starting lineup? Only horrible things happen when Artest is asked to score every night, we've all seen how KG isn't the scoring dynamo he once was, and Camby/Miller are both less than talented scorers.

Not that I really want to comment on an in-division rival, but you might not need too much scoring when you're holding the opposing team to like under 80 points.  That Gilbert/Andre Miller trade was huge I think.  Andre Miller just fits so perfect with this group and Gilbert didn't fit at all (of course with Gilbert they would have that scorer people are saying they need now, go figure).

Last 2 minutes and you need someone to score, this team has no go to guy.  No one guy to count on, but I could see all 7 guys so far in double figures (or close to it), and that's not easy to defend against either when you don't know who to focus the defense on.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

A few issues:

1) Portland didn't necessarily "get there".  They had a decent regular season, but lost in the first round;

No team in history has won a championship -- or come close -- with a roster made up of predominantly young, inexperienced guys.

How old was the 1995 Orlando team?

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2009, 06:36:24 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
PG: Rose
SG: Mayo
SF: Prince
PF: Thornton
C: Foster
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

A few issues:

How old was the 1995 Orlando team?

Well, The Diesel is an exception to everything. 

But, at that point, every rotation player on the team other than Shaq and Penny had at least five years of experience.

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2009, 06:37:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
PG: Rose
SG: Mayo
SF: Prince
PF: Thornton
C: Foster

Good start, but obviously you need to fill in your bench.  Also, I don't think Thornton really fits in as a PF.