Author Topic: Gooden getting bought out?  (Read 5222 times)

Re: Gooden getting bought out?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 10:22:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Roy - question:

Can we just claim Gooden?

I assume it would be lots of cash that the owners may not want to throw around - but he's an expiring contract - so why not roll the dice?

We'd need to be under the cap to claim players as far as I'm concerned... and enough under the cap to fit his salary.

Edit: Or have a trade exception big enough to cover the salary.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:42:34 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Roy - question:

Can we just claim Gooden (or Smith for that matter)?

I assume it would be lots of cash that the owners may not want to throw around - but he's an expiring contract - so why not roll the dice?

You need cap space to do that, right?  Or at the very least, an exemption that the old contract would fit into. 

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Roy - question:

You need cap space to do that, right?  Or at the very least, an exemption that the old contract would fit into. 

didn't we get an exemption from the Sam deal?

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 10:33:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Roy - question:

didn't we get an exemption from the Sam deal?
We did but it is not big enough to claim either player.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
thanks guys

I am really starting to dislike the Collective Bargaining Agreement

I might have to actually side with the owners during the impending lockout of 2011
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
thanks guys

I might have to actually side with the owners during the impending lockout of 2011
I'm not sure if siding with the owners will give the fans a better deal. I am very hopeful we can get a system that will result in players being traded on basketball talent considerations rather than because their contracts are expiring.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
thanks guys

I'm not sure if siding with the owners will give the fans a better deal. I am very hopeful we can get a system that will result in players being traded on basketball talent considerations rather than because their contracts are expiring.

good point

I'm not sure I understand the necessity of having to match salaries - if a team is willing to go deeper into luxury tax Hades, let them.

I just wish there was a better way to deal with dead or useless contracts.  Guaranteed money is understandable, but why kill a team's flexibility if a guy gets hurt or becomes a headcase?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Gooden is one of the dumbest basketball players Ive ever seen.

He has talent and could help cleveland, but im not hanging on what moves the cavs may or may not make
they couldve traded wallys contract for Jamison, Or Jefferson etc...if they settle on picking up brain dead gooden or Celtics fans fav Joe smith..so be it
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:59:44 AM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
thanks guys

good point

I'm not sure I understand the necessity of having to match salaries - if a team is willing to go deeper into luxury tax Hades, let them.

I just wish there was a better way to deal with dead or useless contracts.  Guaranteed money is understandable, but why kill a team's flexibility if a guy gets hurt or becomes a headcase?
I suppose it is based on the fear that the four richest teams could just eat bad contracts in real dollar terms while waiving them and assembling a ton of talent that most of the league couldn't compete with.

I read that the owners want to get rid of the MLE though. How will over the cap teams sign anyone new then? The main reason for the MLE was to avoid the "superstars" eating all the salary space so that mid-level players could get more than the minimum.

Just tough. In abstract though I'd like to get rid of fully guaranteed contracts. It stifles player movement and removes incentive for players to continually perform once they've signed their big money deal.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Gooden is one of the dumbest basketball players Ive ever seen.

He has talent and good help cleveland, but im not hanging on what moves the cavs may or may not make
they couldve traded wallys contract for Jamison, Or Jefferson etc...if they settle on picking up brain dead gooden or Celtics fans fav Joe smith..so be it

Dumb or not, he always gave the Celtics fits.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
thanks guys

good point

while i can only provide the simpliest of responses to a hideously byzantine set of salary rules, from what i see jeff's question on "luxury tax Hades" seems to smack of the problem being faced by baseball and their evil empire aka MFY (or simply "yankees" for those in the audience missed the anti-yankee-hatred DNA all true red sox fans are born with....)

unless a strict revenue-equalizing formula in put into place (which might be accomplished by moving the entire NBA to sweden) then richer teams could gain a greater advantage by snapping up free agents, would they not?

for example, the MFY pay more each year in luxury taxes than the entire payroll of a number of team, such as kansas city.

i agree the current set of rules is often counter productive in the NBA, and trades too often are salary dumps/experiencing salaries. and often trades are simply not done because of the complexity and difficulty surrounding salaries, caps, etc.

but simply allowing the flawed and fallacious myth of "free markets" guide the NBA, other more significant problems would result.

but then again, if i know so much, why am i sitting here at home on a sunday writing for celticblog?  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva