Author Topic: One Man's Opinion  (Read 1213 times)

One Man's Opinion
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I dont necessarily agree with everything Ian O'Connor says in this article, but it is worth reading if only because of the evaluation of Doc's reasons for endorsing the addition of Stephon Marbury to our roster for this year.

I wonder if the short term relationship will be a reality, or will Danny attempt to resign him for next season?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9262800/Marbury's-addition-sure-to-derail-Celtics'-repeat-bid-

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: One Man's Opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:40:30 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I dont necessarily agree with everything Ian O'Connor says in this article, but it is worth reading if only because of the evaluation of Doc's reasons for endorsing the addition of Stephon Marbury to our roster for this year.

I wonder if the short term relationship will be a reality, or will Danny attempt to resign him for next season?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9262800/Marbury's-addition-sure-to-derail-Celtics'-repeat-bid-

There is a very contrived plot in this story.  What a lot of these pundits do not understand is that he is on a minimal contract.  If he becomes a distraction the C's can simply cut him. I do respect the fact that he has everything to loose and everything to gain in this situation, so it should play to the "good" starbury, whatever that means.

I think the bit about Doc was interesting.  I think it goes without saying that Doc is a players coach and because of this understanding of Marbury, he may be a good fit to make it work.

Lastly, I cannot imagine that DA resigns him.  If starbury plays up to his potential he is over their budget.  Also, would you really want this guy here full time?  I wouldn't.  I totally support this move for this year b/c it seems like a situation with a lot of upside and very little down side.  He signs for multiple years and you loose that upside/downside ratio.

Just one man's opinion.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:12:46 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Good catch, and an excellent read.

I don't really have a strong sense who's right here: We had zero offense off the bench and no true backup point. From that standpoint, it looks like a no-brainer signing. Plus, I suspect that Steph will make House a better player at the 2, while providing more punch and experience than Pruitt.

Conversely, the author lays out pretty convincingly the downside of this deal. And the only more distasteful person I can think of to wear the green is Kobe.

My take: We weren't going to beat Cleveland or LA, and potentially others, with the bench we had so this is essentially a "hold your nose" deal. If it works well enough to play a significant role in a repeat, then Danny gambled and won. If it doesn't, I don't really know what we lost.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:18:33 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:21:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It's was funny reading that article, I probably could have written the same article about Marbury if he had gone to the Lakers under similar circumstances. The funny thing was, I already found myself being defensive of Marbury.

Screw what everyone else says!  He's a Celtic now and he's going to buy in.  Hell, KG isn't even around yet.  Let's see how fired up gets. 

In just a few minutes Marbury showed some rust for sure, but any questions of whether his game has slipped seemed answered for me.  He'll do what he always done, and if he "buys in" it could be spectacular for the Celtics.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
He should fix the typo in the title.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."