Author Topic: Should we consider starting Marbury?  (Read 13845 times)

Re: Should we consider starting Marbury?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
This is actually something thats bothering me, people actually think Rondos starting job is in jeopardy or think Marbury should start...um how stupid do you have to be? I know this thread is a joke, but for the people that do think this way -go watch spring training.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Only if Perk was hurt! This would be a nasty small up-temo line, can you say small ball..

PG- Rondo
SG- Marbury
SF- R Allen
PF- Peirce
C - Garnett
now that's a great post, really an eyeopener...tp earned
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Only if Perk was hurt! This would be a nasty small up-temo line, can you say small ball..

PG- Rondo
SG- Marbury
SF- R Allen
PF- Peirce
C - Garnett
now that's a great post, really an eyeopener...tp earned
Did you read my op makaveli? I'm guessing you did not.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Toine,

your points are valid and well thought out.  my only regret is that this all didn't go down BEFORE the trade deadline so that the C's could have explored Rondo for a draft pick.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Obviously Rondo will be the starter for the remainder of his tenure here...

but a question...

What do number 20 and 34's stats look like when the opposing team actually has to ...

you know,

cover our point guard?

haha we all know Rondo's the starter, but there is a legitimate point here.

Marbury takes and hits shots. Rondo does not with consistency. The Pacers played a much different defense against Rondo, sagging way off. Marbury is going to get solid minutes for the team because he can and will shoot, and at a much better clip then Sam I Am.

He'll get some 4th quarter minutes, just not at Rondo's expense. Small ball is a nice option to have with this team, especially when Marbury gets into game shape and defends better then last night.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Toine,

your points are valid and well thought out.  my only regret is that this all didn't go down BEFORE the trade deadline so that the C's could have explored Rondo for a draft pick.
Yes, I wish we could have traded him, but we probably only would have gotten a late 2nd rounder in return because other teans wouldn't want a point guard who can't shoot jumpers.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is actually something thats bothering me, people actually think Rondos starting job is in jeopardy or think Marbury should start...um how stupid do you have to be? I know this thread is a joke, but for the people that do think this way -go watch spring training.

Out of curiosity, who?  Not one person has seriously said Marbury should start.

So, who are you calling stupid? 

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
At first i thought no way, but now that i think about it why not go with the starting line up of

Marbury
House
T.A.
BBD
Moore

That would give us five impact players coming of the bench. WHO NEEDS POSEY  ;D

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
At first i thought no way, but now that i think about it why not go with the starting line up of

Marbury
House
T.A.
BBD
Moore

That would give us five impact players coming of the bench. WHO NEEDS POSEY  ;D

To quote Sam Cassell, "It's not who starts that's important..."

Start those guys and rest the Big 3 until the 4th quarter where they can play 12 minutes of absolute hellacious basketball.  They'd win the period like 45-2 every night.

JUST DO IT!
Yup

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Marbury will work out good on the bench.  We need scoring off the bench and Rondo isn't a scorer.  Marbury loves to jack up shots... so it's a match made in heaven.  Plus Marbury has lost a few steps since his borderline all-star days... so having him go against other team's 2nd unit scrubs will be beneficial for the nutter.

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Of course Marbury should not start over Rondo.  The only thing I worry about is whether Marbury would play games with Rondo's head over who should start.  Rondo seems to be an emotional player who needs people to believe in him, and feeds off fan support.  I hope Marbury would not do this, because I believe that is the only thing standing between Marbury and his first championship.  We need Marbury to come off the bench and make it very difficult for opponents to rest their starters.  We need for Rondo to keep improving and become our franchise point guard.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009, 07:07:41 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
WOW - congrats to the 11 posters who didn't even read the OP and just threw their 2 cents in --- you guys are awesome....

On a side note, I'd love for Rondo/Marbury/Ray/Pierce/KG to be the end of game lineup on the nights each of those 5 has it going. Of course there will be nights when Perkins is deserving, but to be able to put out 5 All Star type players at almost their natural positions is an amazing advantage in late game situations.

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
WOW - congrats to the 11 posters who didn't even read the OP and just threw their 2 cents in --- you guys are awesome....

On a side note, I'd love for Rondo/Marbury/Ray/Pierce/KG to be the end of game lineup on the nights each of those 5 has it going. Of course there will be nights when Perkins is deserving, but to be able to put out 5 All Star type players at almost their natural positions is an amazing advantage in late game situations.

I'm not sure about Rondo-Marbury lineups. certainly worth a little experimenting here, but that could be too many cooks in the kitchen...

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Now that we got that out of the way, Doc must be like a kid in the candy store. Love the All-Star lineup: Rondo (future allStar) SM, RA, PP, KG. All 30 something line up: Marbury/House, RAllen, P Pierce, M Moore, KG. All PG line up: Rondo, House, Marbury, Pruitt, KG. All Wing/Slasher line up: T Allen, R Allen, P Pierce, B Walker, KG. All 3 pt Line up: Marbury, House, RAllen, PPierce, KG. Dunk Contest Line up: Rondo/Marbury (in the day)/Pruitt, RAllen/TAllen, PPierce/Walker, LPowe/Mmoore, KG. 20 Something Lineup: Rondo/Pruitt, TAllen/JRGiddens, B Walker, L Powe/BBD, K Perkins.

All except the last one include KG (hoping he comes back better than ever); however the 20 somethings could be a nice foundation to build on. Go Storm'in Mormon

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 09:34:32 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Toine,

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. are you guys smoking?  You want to start Marbury and trade Rondo away for a draft pick?  Insanity!  Rondo is the future of this franchise at the PG spot.  Marbury is a vet backup/sparkplug scoring guard.  He doesn't even know the offense yet.  He can't play at the level of Rondo or bring what Rondo brings to the table - great speed + great defense + spreads the ball incredibly well.  Rondo has become a triple double machine lately.  Marbury hasn't played for nearly a whole season!  Umm reality check please!