Author Topic: Free throws  (Read 668 times)

Free throws
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7

With all the craziness going on around the Celtics today I wanted to start a thread about free throws so my response to Steve's very detailed article on our free throw struggles last game would not get lost in the shuffle.

It is frustrating to watch missed free throws, especially down the stretch.  However, missed free throws is not a phenomenon experienced only by the Celtics.  In fact, the Celtics are middle of the road (15th) when it comes to free throw percentage (77.08).  How many of the top teams are better? Well, if you consider .01% better, exactly one...the Spurs.

The Lakers are 16th (76.87).  The Cav's are 22nd (75.49).  The Magic is dead last (72.15).

My contention is it's all relative. The good news is that unlike many of the top teams, we have the ability to field a team down the stretch of important games that not only consists of the majority of our best players, but also our best free throw shooters.  With Eddy, Ray, Paul, & KG, that only leaves one poor free throw shooter on the floor, be it a big like Perk or a guard like Rondo.

So I really can't bring myself to sweat about one game in which free throws obviously cost us.  The way I look at it, if KG had been playing we wouldn't be talking about any of this today....well, really I guess now we aren't  ;), but you get my point.  If nothing else he would have at least made more than half his free throws.