Author Topic: Pierce iso move needs a vacation?  (Read 6642 times)

Re: Pierce iso move needs a vacation?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 03:54:46 AM »

Kiorrik

Okay, shoot me, but what does iso stand for  :-X

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 04:42:37 AM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
Isolation

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 05:27:31 AM »

Kiorrik

Alright. That's the correct answer, but it now seems like I asked the wrong question. Perhaps I should have asked: what exactly is an isolation move :)

Or is that a category of moves rather than a single move? ('cuz if I look at the topic here, I'd think we are talking about his spin&pop fade-away move, or however you'd call it :D )

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:39 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
The move that I want to see him use less is that power step/backspin off the defender, b/c it's WAY TOO PREDICTABLE. The defender just waits for him to drive in, spin off them, and he gets double teamed at that point and he gets stripped. Poor possessions. And the 3 ball should not be the go-to-play either. Like you said, Ray has a midrange J.

paul pierce has twice the midrange game ray does. Ray may complete more of his shots, but Pierce has more of an arsenal of shots.

Um, no he doesn't.  Have you watched Ray when he comes off a screen and gets inside the arc?  His pullup jumper is money wherever he decides to shoot it.  Paul's just better at forcing a shot through the defender's face as the shot clock is dying.  I'm not trying to take away from Paul's midrange game here, but I think you're really undervaluing Ray's midrange by a lot.

Not really worth a discussion.  Ray's whole game is about coming off of screens and movement without the ball.  Paul's game can be with screens but is mostly movement with the basketball.  They are very, very different, and that's what makes them effective on the court at the same time.

I don't agree with this. The only time in his career Ray has been asked to really move off-the-ball and get a vast majority of his possessions as catch-and-shoots has been in Boston. Prior to that he handled the ball for a lot of the shotclock and really created his own shot.

And to answer your question Kiorrik, an isolation move is when the player goes 1-1 with their defender while the other players get out of the way to avoid a double. This is rather than using a screen or a similar play which involves much more ball-movement.

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »

Kiorrik

TP's for the both of ya. Thanks for being so kind as to explain it to a newbie like myself :)

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Wow I wasn't sure anyone was going to agree with me. Thanks to all who replied. To clarify I wasn’t criticizing the move itself but rather the fact that it was being overused in an offense based on ball movement. I don’t think they should play 1 star + 4 spectators in close games. Everyone on the team should learn to consistently step up in the clutch on both ends of the floor. I love Pierce’s supermanness but he cannot be expected to come through every time and especially not when the other team is trying to dislocate his thumb for the third time in one game. For times like these the team must be able to run other plays.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.