Author Topic: So, loss aside for a minute, first impressions of Moore?  (Read 10255 times)

So, loss aside for a minute, first impressions of Moore?
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
For a guy who got there an hour before gametime and was trying to pick up our defense and offense sets on the fly, i though he did pretty well.

Thoughts?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: So, loss aside for a minute, first impressions of Moore?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:24:35 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I really like the potential of him spelling KG and not losing the floor spacing the Ticket provides with his shooting. He also seems like a willing help defender which is huge in our system. Last night he had to help a little too much though since their perimeter players were getting to the paint at will, but in a typical celts game, he can be huge. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that he is so skinny. That has been the knock on him his whole career but he will always need to be in there with a big body. We still dont have a guy that is versatile enough defensively to let us go small ball which may be a useful tool in the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
For a guy who got there an hour before gametime and was trying to pick up our defense and offense sets on the fly, i though he did pretty well.

Thoughts?
Pretty much confirmed most reports on him. He can shoot, will play hard, doesn't block shots, and fouls too much. He moved the ball well when it was passed to him too. He set okay screens, and hedged pretty well on the pick and roll.

He did well in his minutes. He will be a asset once he learns our defensive rotations.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'd rather have Patrick O'Bryant.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:05:10 AM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
Amazingly, Moore seemed to have the defensive rotations down in one day better than Baby and Powe have with over a year and a half worth of experience.  Chalk that up to him being a smart veteran and also very fast.

In fact, Moore's speed really stood out to me.  He closed out quickly on shooters and got down the floor with the guards on the break.  He had a nice play on one fast break where he got out in front of PP so that the defender was screened off and PP got to the basket for a layup.  Also love his enthusiasm. 

Agree with other comments on the sight that Moore should be used to back up KG.  Rotate Baby and Powe in for Perk at the "bruiser" position.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Amazingly, Moore seemed to have the defensive rotations down in one day better than Baby and Powe have with over a year and a half worth of experience.  Chalk that up to him being a smart veteran and also very fast.

In fact, Moore's speed really stood out to me.  He closed out quickly on shooters and got down the floor with the guards on the break.  He had a nice play on one fast break where he got out in front of PP so that the defender was screened off and PP got to the basket for a layup.  Also love his enthusiasm. 

Agree with other comments on the sight that Moore should be used to back up KG.  Rotate Baby and Powe in for Perk at the "bruiser" position.

I noticed that too. He can really fit in here and make a difference blitzing pick and rolls like he did for Jim O'Brien a few years back. Mikki is a good backup C in this league.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:35:42 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

any particular reason?

Moore had more energy, desire, and shooting touch than patrick o'blount showed in 2/3rds of a season.

I'd rather have joe smith to be sure, but not POB.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:44:47 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I thought Moore played really well for walking in to a brand new system with new team mates.  Liked his effort and energy.  Best of all, he didn't try to do too much, just tried to help where needed.  Cool head.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Right on the nose , 1st paragraph definately!

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I noticed that too. He can really fit in here and make a difference blitzing pick and rolls like he did for Jim O'Brien a few years back. Mikki is a good backup C in this league.

What, you mean in all twelve minutes that he played?  ;)

From what I saw in the first half, he looked about what I expected.  He's got length, which even if he's not blocking the shot very often can make the shooter more uncomfortable.  Didn't seem out of place, seemed to be rotating well.  Seemed to hold the ball a bit too long on offense, the ball wasn't swinging around the perimiter as quickly as it usually does but that was pretty much the whole team.  Seemed on offense that he wasn't comfortable knowing who was going to go where; he'll get comfortable playing with these guys once he's known them for more than an hour and half.  

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I really liked the pre-game interview. He definitely has the right outlook for the team and seems like a good guy (which matters to me).

I thought he played well considering the circumstances and showed the shot that everybody said was in his arsenal.

I still worry about strength. he is awfully skinny.

wasn't his fault, but we got abused in the paint...multiply that by 10 in the playoffs.

anyway, It's important to me to feel good about the person and he just seems like a decent, hard-working player....and i like that a lot.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I didn't see the game last night, but I'm encouraged by all of these posts.

He seems like a guy who has strengths and weaknesses, knows what they are and can do well in the right role.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
He frankly looked solid.  Hit his two jumpers, set picks, defended the pick and roll well, etc.  His one mistake was giving up an and-1 while trying to block Baron Davis' shot when I felt he could have easliy stepped in to take the charge.

No doubt he was a little unsure of the offensive sets, but on defense he seemed to get what we do even if he was a step slow a couple of times.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 10:35:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

any particular reason?

Moore had more energy, desire, and shooting touch than patrick o'blount showed in 2/3rds of a season.

Because Moore is not a center, he has no base, can't rebound, can't block shots. I recognize POB was raw, but I see way more upside in him than in Moore, and even feel he could have contributed more if given the chance, which he was not. But I lost this argument when he got cut, so I'll just go away........

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 10:38:46 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

any particular reason?

Because Moore is not a center, he has no base, can't rebound, can't block shots. I recognize POB was raw, but I see way more upside in him than in Moore, and even feel he could have contributed more if given the chance, which he was not. But I lost this argument when he got cut, so I'll just go away........

well, i think its also a circular argument. he had plenty of chances with perk and KG being shelved and he never saw the floor. I think that speaks to the fact that the concerns from college, GS, and early reports out of boston, that he doesn't have the desire to work hard/ learn, are valid.

I hope im wrong though, i wish him a good career. Hopefully he'll earn some burn in toronto.