Author Topic: introducing myself new celtics fan from uk  (Read 5829 times)

introducing myself new celtics fan from uk
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline markuz89

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4

Hi all! I'm a life long Glasgow Celtic football club fan but I've recently started to take an intrest in basket ball and of course I have choose the mighty Boston Celtics as my team I'm just learn in about the clubs history I've been on Wikipedia and the website but the best way to learn about them if from the life long fans so if any of you can let me know some history ,players ,matches to watch it would be much appreciated

Re: introducing myself new celtics fan from uk
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Welcome aboard!

Everything for the Celtics starts with Bill Russell.  The guy is the biggest winner is basketball history:  2 NCAA championships, a gold medal, and 11 rings (in only 13 seasons).  He's the most dominant defensive player of all time. 

Unfortunately, there's not a ton of video footage, but check out what you can.  It's hard to think that a guy who was pretty mediocre offensively could be one of the greatest players of all-time, but that was Russell.

Larry Bird is my favorite player of all-time.  Anything from the 1986 team is worth checking out.  That may have been the best team in NBA history.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:27:52 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Welcome from a relative newcomer myself.  It appears Henrik Larsson won't be your new manager?  I'd steer well clear of Malky Mackay after his theatrical performance at Swansea City... ;D

I've been a diehard Boston Celtics fan since 1974, and a Manchester City FC fan since 2003.  The Celtics are truly a vanguard franchise, having pioneered racial integration and many playing and team concepts which proved to be quite influential in the NBA.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
A TP for you my friend for joining one of the greatest franchises in sports history. The Celtics are a very well managed team, both general manager and head coach, but also have an ownership that won't rest until the team competes for a championship again.

Welcome aboard!

CB

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Hello!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 05:08:28 AM »

Offline markuz89

• Jaden Springer
ok thanks for the help guys i have just started reading about bill russell what a man ! yes henrik larrson looks like hes staying put. malky mackay is a good manager he was the manager of cardiff city got them promotion then the crazy Malaysian owner sacked him there is loads of good managers in the frame  so whoever takes over im sure wwill do aa good job .

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:01:10 AM »

fitzhickey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtykEHPRO1Q

That documentary isn't purely Celtics focused, but I love it. Bird or Pierce (even though I only saw Pierce) are my favourite players ever.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 07:08:40 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Welcome :)

I've learned more about the Celtics since I've been here on CBlog.

You're in a Good place.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
ok thanks for the help guys i have just started reading about bill russell what a man ! yes henrik larrson looks like hes staying put. malky mackay is a good manager he was the manager of cardiff city got them promotion then the crazy Malaysian owner sacked him there is loads of good managers in the frame  so whoever takes over im sure wwill do aa good job .

Vincent Tan is a nut, for better and worse.  Malky Mackay is a megalomaniac.  He tried to commandeer control of the entire club away from Tan, but it cost him his position as manager.  I wouldn't go near either of them - they're both radioactive!

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Welcome aboard!

Everything for the Celtics starts with Bill Russell.  The guy is the biggest winner is basketball history:  2 NCAA championships, a gold medal, and 11 rings (in only 13 seasons).  He's the most dominant defensive player of all time. 

Unfortunately, there's not a ton of video footage, but check out what you can.  It's hard to think that a guy who was pretty mediocre offensively could be one of the greatest players of all-time, but that was Russell.

Larry Bird is my favorite player of all-time.  Anything from the 1986 team is worth checking out.  That may have been the best team in NBA history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPMUyRyTflw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlNz0riiPWg
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!

I've learned a lot here as an European fan as well over the last 3/4 years. The writers are great and the forum is pretty active.

2008 obviously our great championship year has a great championship DVD which shows what it is to be a Celtic and shows what Celtic pride is. This is important.
Boston is a special place in sports. Not only the Celtics are a great organization but also the Sox, Bruins and Patriots are about WINNING.

Last of all it's all about loyalty. Any organization is bigger than its players, especially the Celtics. So even if we will go through 22 bad years again like from banner 16 to 17 I will always bleed green and be a Celtic for life.

My favorite player is Kevin Garnett. He is all what a celtic needs to be. He has pride, passion, intensity and is the perfect teammate who sacrifices for the sake of others.

Enjoy your stay here!

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Hail Hail from a fellow fan of the Hoops  :)

Have to admit pretty much the reason I am a fan of the Celtics is the green and white connection.

I'm glad Larsson isn't going to get the manager's job. His reputation would have been tarnished at the slightest hint of failure.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 05:24:54 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14

I've learned a lot here as an European fan as well over the last 3/4 years. The writers are great and the forum is pretty active.

2008 obviously our great championship year has a great championship DVD which shows what it is to be a Celtic and shows what Celtic pride is. This is important.
Boston is a special place in sports. Not only the Celtics are a great organization but also the Sox, Bruins and Patriots are about WINNING.

Last of all it's all about loyalty. Any organization is bigger than its players, especially the Celtics. So even if we will go through 22 bad years again like from banner 16 to 17 I will always bleed green and be a Celtic for life.

My favorite player is Kevin Garnett. He is all what a celtic needs to be. He has pride, passion, intensity and is the perfect teammate who sacrifices for the sake of others.

Enjoy your stay here!

Very well said - thank you for that!

CB

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 03:53:43 AM »

Offline markuz89

• Jaden Springer

Enjoy your stay here!

thanks for that well said sirr  , this is a fascinating basketball team wwith great history .

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 04:00:24 AM »

Offline markuz89

• Jaden Springer
Hail Hail from a fellow fan of the Hoops  :)

Have to admit pretty much the reason I am a fan of the Celtics is the green and white connection.

I'm glad Larsson isn't going to get the manager's job. His reputation would have been tarnished at the slightest hint of failure.
yeah i didn't think he would get it with rangers just a league away from the spl we need someone who has  a bit of top level experience gotta try get into the champs league i hear keano could be new favourite for the  job