Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83603 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
for who?!  u dont trade a guy of rondo's ability for the sake of trading him. problem with proposing a rondo trade is that he is underrated nationally and overrated locally.

« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
We need to ship him out. All these guys who are publicly supporting him, secretly hate him. Doc can't stand coaching him. The Big 3 can't stand playing with him. Who cares if he's talented?

And he's not even that good. People need to stop focusing on the assists and start focusing on the turnovers. Bassy Telfair could've averaged a triple double if we let him hog the ball like Rondo. Moore's probably better than him already.

I love Rondo, I think he's a great player. He's supremely talented. But he's the worst player I've ever seen and we'd be better without him.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's not always easy to tell on the internet, but I sincerely hope the above post is sarcasm.

Otherwise, well let's just say I'd get banned if I spoke my mind.  Unreal.

« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
We need to ship him out. All these guys who are publicly supporting him, secretly hate him. Doc can't stand coaching him. The Big 3 can't stand playing with him. Who cares if he's talented?

And he's not even that good. People need to stop focusing on the assists and start focusing on the turnovers. Bassy Telfair could've averaged a triple double if we let him hog the ball like Rondo. Moore's probably better than him already.

I love Rondo, I think he's a great player. He's supremely talented. But he's the worst player I've ever seen and we'd be better without him.
After tallying votes, by an astounding 455 point victory, we have our MSP.  Most sarcastic (or silly) poster.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
I would actually trade Mr.Trip-Dub+Bass for a Josh Smith+T-Mac package or a Conley+Gasol package.

Ohh, and a BIG POINT FROM THIS TOPIC, FOCUS ON TRADING RAY ALLEN THE MOST. THIS GUY LOOKS LIKE A CERTIFIED SCRUB BY NOT 'BEING HIMSELF'!!!!!(note his shooting %s and stop using the excuse of being injury plagued, its not like he uses his legs for his free-throw style that much)
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It really depends on what happens with this team during the offseason.  If KG and Ray call it quits... I'm not sure we can field a team anywhere near as good as this one with the current free agent landscape.  Most of the free agents are restricted.  People keep mentioning names like Eric Gordon, Hibbert, McGee... etc.  They are all restricted.  You can't realistically sign any of them.  After Deron Williams I think the best unrestricted free agent is probably Chris Kaman or something.  Actually... after Deron Williams the best unrestricted free agents are KG and Ray... THEN Chris Kaman. 

So if we lose the MVP of the team (KG) and Ray... we are heading for a rebuild.  I don't necessarily WANT to trade Rondo... I think he can continue putting up huge assist numbers with the right system and teammates.  I'm just saying... there are some trades I'd have to consider IN CONTEXT. 

Example, IN CONTEXT.  If KG and Ray flee and Deron Williams is willing to sign with Boston... would you hypothetically trade Rondo for a big man?  Al Jefferson?  Josh Smith?  What about a big man and a 1st rounder?  If Deron is willing to sign here on the condition of Dwight being in Boston, would you consider Rondo + both our first rounders for Dwight HOward? 

Would you consider moving Rondo for a guy still on his rookie contract or a top 5 pick in this draft?...  Example... Demarcus Cousins.  Yes, I completely realize that Cousins is a headcase... that's why the trade is borderline thinkable... no way Sac would move Cousins if he WASN'T a headcase.  Dude averages 18 points, 11 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.2 blocks in 30.5 minutes as a 21 year old 7 foot 270 pound center.  Trading Rondo for cousins would free up another 7 mil or so in cap space.  If you have another point guard (like Deron) lined up or somehow land another young guard in the draft (trading multiple picks for Austin Rivers, for example), does that make sense?  Would trading Rondo for Steph Curry (freeing up another 7 mil in cap space) make sense if you have a big move planned to utilize that extra cap space?  What if that extra 7 mil in cap space is the difference in bringing back KG, Ray AND having enough money to sign a max contract guy (Deron Williams).  PG - Williams, SG - Ray/Bradley, SF - Pierce/Jeff Green, PF - KG, C - Cousins...   Dunno.

Again... I don't want to trade Rondo for the sake of trading Rondo.  But you'd have to consider the right trade in context.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:15:58 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
for who?!  u dont trade a guy of rondo's ability for the sake of trading him. problem with proposing a rondo trade is that he is underrated nationally and overrated locally.

I think you have it backwards actually. Nationally everyone knows he is a very good player. Bit of a headcase, but so are most of the League's stars. Other GMs and owners know how willing the Celtics are to trade Rondo and get good players back, so they hold back to try and wait for the best trade possible.

« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Was about to write a paragraph or two explaining why you are so wrong, but then I read that you think Moore is better than him and realized this MUST be a joke.

« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Trade DOC for Popovich...!

« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It really depends on what happens with this team during the offseason.  If KG and Ray call it quits... I'm not sure we can field a team anywhere near as good as this one with the current free agent landscape.  Most of the free agents are restricted.  People keep mentioning names like Eric Gordon, Hibbert, McGee... etc.  They are all restricted.  You can't realistically sign any of them.  After Deron Williams I think the best unrestricted free agent is probably Chris Kaman or something.  Actually... after Deron Williams the best unrestricted free agents are KG and Ray... THEN Chris Kaman. 

So if we lose the MVP of the team (KG) and Ray... we are heading for a rebuild.  I don't necessarily WANT to trade Rondo... I think he can continue putting up huge assist numbers with the right system and teammates.  I'm just saying... there are some trades I'd have to consider IN CONTEXT. 

Example, IN CONTEXT.  If KG and Ray flee and Deron Williams is willing to sign with Boston... would you hypothetically trade Rondo for a big man?  Al Jefferson?  Josh Smith?  What about a big man and a 1st rounder?  If Deron is willing to sign here on the condition of Dwight being in Boston, would you consider Rondo + both our first rounders for Dwight HOward? 

Would you consider moving Rondo for a guy still on his rookie contract or a top 5 pick in this draft?...  Example... Demarcus Cousins.  Yes, I completely realize that Cousins is a headcase... that's why the trade is borderline thinkable... no way Sac would move Cousins if he WASN'T a headcase.  Dude averages 18 points, 11 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.2 blocks in 30.5 minutes as a 21 year old 7 foot 270 pound center.  Trading Rondo for cousins would free up another 7 mil or so in cap space.  If you have another point guard (like Deron) lined up or somehow land another young guard in the draft (trading multiple picks for Austin Rivers, for example), does that make sense?  Would trading Rondo for Steph Curry (freeing up another 7 mil in cap space) make sense if you have a big move planned to utilize that extra cap space?  What if that extra 7 mil in cap space is the difference in bringing back KG, Ray AND having enough money to sign a max contract guy (Deron Williams).  PG - Williams, SG - Ray/Bradley, SF - Pierce/Jeff Green, PF - KG, C - Cousins...   Dunno.

Again... I don't want to trade Rondo for the sake of trading Rondo.  But you'd have to consider the right trade in context.

Can you even make a straight up deal for either Cousins or Curry?  I know the salary matching provisions have been loosened with the new CBA, but I don't think they've been loosened that much.  Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  What are the rules? 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Trade DOC for Popovich...!
Moore and JJJ are onboard for this trade  ;D

« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

The Williams signing and trading for Howard is a no brainer. Love Rondo too, but I got to say good luck and take care on that scenario. Don't see it happening though.

As far as any other trade I just don't see anything being out there unless Miami wants to send us Wade for Rondo and a Ray S + T.

I mean let's be real. Rondo is a borderline superstar and if he was more consistent then he would be one. That being said he is a perennial all star and those don't grow on trees. Point being there aren't many players to trade him for and getting proper value in return for him would be very difficult. I think we keep Rondo and his friendly contract. Maybe it doesn't happen this year but in the in the next year or two we try and use some of our young assets along with cap space to put pieces next to Rondo. At 26 he is still a year or two away from his prime.

Tony Parker just turned 30 and had a MVP caliber year with Tim Duncan as his second best player. Patience is needed in this transition.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Someone should propose a Rondo for Wade or Bynum deal just to rile up the board some more.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well what team's need a PG that would trade for him?

I say all these say no:

Philly- Jrue Holiday
Chicago - Rose
Milwaukee - Jennings/Ellis
Cleveland - Irving
Detroit - Knight
Atlanta - Teague
Washington - Wall
OKC - Westbrook
Denver - Lawson
Minny - Rubio
LAC - Paul
GSW - Curry
Sactown - Thomas
Spurs - Parker
Houston - Lowry/Dragic
Memphis - Conley
Toronto - Calderon

That leaves
New York - though they may be good with giving Lin another shot
New Jersey - if they can't resign Williams
Indiana - who seems to be thriving in the playoffs with George Hill
Miami - who only has one of their top three to offer and doesn't need a pass first PG because of their ridiculous offensive system
Orlando - who would only offer Ryan Anderson
Charlotte - who has nothing to offer
Utah
Portland - who wouldn't give up Aldridge for Rondo
Lakers - Bynum?
Phoenix - would love him to replace Nash but has nothing to send back
Dallas - only if they don't sign Williams
New Orleans

Given Williams and nash are free agents that takes two teams out of the market.

So who's left that would want an All-Star PG at $10-11 million a year that would give up equal talent in return?

Not a lot. So I think Rondo stays.

« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Well what team's need a PG that would trade for him?

I say all these say no:
Philly- Jrue Holiday
Chicago - Rose
Cleveland - Irving
Detroit - Knight
Atlanta - Teague
Washington - Wall
OKC - Westbrook
Denver - Lawson
Minny - Rubio
LAC - Paul
GSW - Curry
Sactown - Thomas
Spurs - Parker
Houston - Lowry/Dragic
Memphis - Conley
Toronto - Calderon

That leaves
New York - though they may be good with giving Lin another shot
New Jersey - if they can't resign Williams
Indiana - who seems to be thriving in the playoffs with George Hill
Miami - who only has one of their top three to offer and doesn't need a pass first PG because of their ridiculous offensive system
Orlando - who would only offer Ryan Anderson
Charlotte - who has nothing to offer
Utah
Portland - who wouldn't give up Aldridge for Rondo
Lakers - Bynum?
Phoenix - would love him to replace Nash but has nothing to send back
Dallas - only if they don't sign Williams
New Orleans
Given Williams and nash are free agents that takes two teams out of the market.
So who's left that would want an All-Star PG at $10-11 million a year that would give up equal talent in return?
Not a lot. So I think Rondo stays.
I think you're overestimating the worth of some of those other PGs.  Rondo is better than these established players you've listed.
Houston - Lowry/Dragic
Memphis - Conley
Toronto - Calderon
Philly- Jrue Holiday
Detroit - Knight
Atlanta - Teague
Denver - Lawson
GSW - Curry
Sactown - Thomas (well, not established but no all-star)

I could understand if those teams thought these guys were effective enough for their price but they're not better than Rondo.  Also, Wall, Irving and Rubio are on rookie deals and would be understandable for those teams to hold on to based on projected development and cost.  Even Parker is debatable based on health and age.

I think there's a lot of teams that would be improved if they had Rondo over their current PG it's a matter of whether that team wants that upgrade and if they're compatible trading partners.

I for one want to keep Rondo simply because he impacts so many facets of the game, is unselfish with the ball, is durable and has the ability to take over a game at times.  The list of PGs with those qualities is [dang] short.