Author Topic: Celtics (6-1) at Spurs (5-3) Game 8 11/9/19  (Read 32569 times)

Re: Celtics (6-1) at Spurs (5-3) Game 8 11/9/19
« Reply #465 on: November 10, 2019, 12:37:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
BTW, I am often out of touch re: pop culture (which I am assuming is the source), but please tell me what is the origin of Timelord and why is it Rob's moniker?

Some dumb nickname Scalabrine came up with. Personally, I hate it which is why I never refer to him as such. It just sounds dumb.

Agree gpap - it's a derogatory term. Should have done away with it as soon as the season started.

I think he has come to embrace it.

« Reply #466 on: November 10, 2019, 12:39:38 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Don’t recall sweeping and 3 game road trips last year.

What was our longest winning streak last season?

What was our record after 8 games?

« Reply #467 on: November 10, 2019, 01:06:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
BTW, I am often out of touch re: pop culture (which I am assuming is the source), but please tell me what is the origin of Timelord and why is it Rob's moniker?

Some dumb nickname Scalabrine came up with. Personally, I hate it which is why I never refer to him as such. It just sounds dumb.

the "good" regarding the nickname Timelord fits

RW really does mess with "time" the way he can swat shots/alley dunks etc.

what is wrong with the nickname?

Some people hate fun. I mean guys can play their entire career and not get a nickname that sticks, I think its kind of cool RWIII got one.

Not true, I just don't like it. But it doesn't matter. To each, his own.

I just hope Robert continues to play the way he played tonight. What an athlete (and more importantly, a monster on the boards!)

is there a reason or you just don't (without an explanation)?

I guess probably because it feels sort of forced, before he even played a single game. All because he missed a flight. Like Wiley said, I prefer players get nicknames based upon their play on the court, not because of missing a flight because you overslept. Just seems silly.
To be fair his play rn is worthy of warping time :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2019, 01:11:44 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Some people hate fun. I mean guys can play their entire career and not get a nickname that sticks, I think its kind of cool RWIII got one.

I just hope Robert continues to play the way he played tonight. What an athlete (and more importantly, a monster on the boards!)

I guess probably because it feels sort of forced, before he even played a single game. All because he missed a flight. Like Wiley said, I prefer players get nicknames based upon their play on the court, not because of missing a flight because you overslept. Just seems silly.

I mean right now Time Lord means he can he is the lord of timing based on those 6 blocks.

I like the nickname because it can signify how much he has grown

« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2019, 01:16:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I mean right now Time Lord means he can he is the lord of timing based on those 6 blocks.

I like the nickname because it can signify how much he has grown
^this, and it can be a joke about how incredible his hops+wingspan are.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #470 on: November 10, 2019, 03:30:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I think he's being sponsored by Timex or Casio now so he's able to monetize it at least  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #471 on: November 10, 2019, 06:47:58 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Timelord is definitely one of the cooler nicknames IMO. It’s unique and multifaceted. Who cares how it originated? If you own it, it becomes its own meaning.

I mean, what nicknames are out there?
1. Initials
2. Big <name>
3. Initials + jersey number

Ho hum...
- LilRip

« Reply #472 on: November 10, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Agree gpap - it's a derogatory term. Should have done away with it as soon as the season started.

I think he has come to embrace it.
Care to provide any evidence for that?  He said he disliked it before the season.
I agree with gpap:
Personally, I hate it which is why I never refer to him as such. It just sounds dumb.
Scal didn't make it up, but he's run with it like a schoolkid.

« Reply #473 on: November 10, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
San Antonio is a pretty big team starting Aldridge and Lyles.  They got 21 offensive rebounds (to 7 by the Celtics) but it didn't seem to matter.  Our big rotation included Theis as a starter with RWilliams and GWilliams getting decent minutes off the bench and Ojeleye and Poirier getting a few more minutes.  Total big minutes by the Celtics was 67 minutes.

I break down the 67 minutes as 48 minutes by a Center and 19 minutes for a PF.  That means we played 29 minutes of some form of small ball.  Sure, we gave up 21 ORebs (defensive rebounding was pathetic at times) but we still blew them away.  Is this sustainable?

« Reply #474 on: November 10, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
San Antonio is a pretty big team starting Aldridge and Lyles.  They got 21 offensive rebounds (to 7 by the Celtics) but it didn't seem to matter.  Our big rotation included Theis as a starter with RWilliams and GWilliams getting decent minutes off the bench and Ojeleye and Poirier getting a few more minutes.  Total big minutes by the Celtics was 67 minutes.

I break down the 67 minutes as 48 minutes by a Center and 19 minutes for a PF.  That means we played 29 minutes of some form of small ball.  Sure, we gave up 21 ORebs (defensive rebounding was pathetic at times) but we still blew them away.  Is this sustainable?
I dont see why not, because of the way we play (defense, fastbreaks, good ball movement, backdoor cuts, not a lot of isos - much less variance in that kind of game than chucking threes like last year). If the spurs wouldnt get so many off reb and got so hot from 3 the difference would be 35 or 40.

« Reply #475 on: November 10, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I mean if the Celtics score like they did tonight then sure, they will win most games.  Its when the C's face a team that can both offensive rebound while also play great D that things become trickier. Phili and Mil are both, in theory, that kind of team. Offensive rebounds lower your margin for error by boosting another teams offense. 

« Reply #476 on: November 10, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Yes.  While recognizing there are more serious issues in the world, and treading into fuddy daddy crotchety old man territory, I just prefer there be some honor with a nickname.  When Shaq dubbed Pierce the Truth, it shone like a beacon and made sense to everyone. 

In this case, before a player had a chance to play, we have Scal seeming to get giddy overtime he gets to say it...so it's about Scal and his fun instead of the player.  I know Scal is having fun and I'm sure he respects Rob and all that.  But I prefer Mike and Tommy, old school dudes who sort of get that there is a lot of honor and import in how you refer to a guy who is skilled enough to make it into the NBA.  Especially when he first uttered that he didn't care for it...and apparently Ainge, probably noting that Rob didn't care for it, also suggested it not be used.  So that's it.  Although people mean no harm and it's not a big deal...I feel there is a lack of respect happening somewhere the mix.  It should be about the player, not about how much fun it is for Scal.

« Reply #477 on: November 10, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

This is false. Weird Celtics Twitter gave him the nickname after he was late to his rookie press conference etc. Scalabrine is too dumb to give him a cool nickname like Timelord.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/12/14/robert-williams-time-lord-nickname

I like Ainge's suggestion of Lob Williams better (lol)

His most vertical majesty, the TimeLord, Lob Williams. Disher of dimes, blocker of threes, and slammer of dunks.

Long may he ball.

TP  :D

« Reply #478 on: November 10, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

This is false. Weird Celtics Twitter gave him the nickname after he was late to his rookie press conference etc. Scalabrine is too dumb to give him a cool nickname like Timelord.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/12/14/robert-williams-time-lord-nickname

His most vertical majesty, the TimeLord, Lob Williams. Disher of dimes, blocker of threes, and slammer of dunks.

Long may he ball.

TP  :D
WCT has spoken. His nickname is Timelord. That's not gonna change. Even the mainstream media now calls him Timelord.

« Reply #479 on: November 10, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
 :(

Long may he ball.

Now that’s the way to announce the title.

I don’t mind time lord, but it will be cool if he has a signature moment that leads to an even better nickname - without any aftertaste from that presser.