Author Topic: Olympic$ / Do you agree with Mark Cuban?  (Read 17183 times)

Re: Olympic$ / Do you agree with Mark Cuban?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
There's nothing patriotic about watching a tattoo-laden thug like Carmelo Anthony parading around in a pickup game.  I see no correlation between a person who promotes criminal activity and national pride.  This should be an opportunity for our best young amateur players to showcase themselves.  Not a forum for Anthony's and Kidd's character rehabilitation and yet another showcase for Kobe, the reluctant angry player  ;D, and the primadonna.  The owners assume 100% of the risk for this collossal stupidity in the name of "patroitism".

I'll venture a pretty safe guess that the vast majority of NBA fans could care less about this meaningless event.  However, if the primadonna, Bryant, or any other prominent NBA player on that (or any other "olympic" roster) goes down and their team goes from contending to mediocre......there is nothing the media is going to be able to do to get them to buy tickets.

<----- extra late reply guy

Iowa I think your vitriol is not shared by most fans, or Americans in general.  Some people may not like Carmelo for character issues, but the majority aren't even aware of those issues.  But if the an ownership group attempted to prevent a player, any player, from participating in the Olympics it would be slammed.

I'm not talking about personal opinion here.  I'm talking about business.  And if the NBA made it standard for owners to deny their players to enter into the Olympics, the NBA would suffer in fan perception, which is something they already pay lots of attention to.

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
There's nothing patriotic about watching a tattoo-laden thug like Carmelo Anthony parading around in a pickup game.  I see no correlation between a person who promotes criminal activity and national pride.  This should be an opportunity for our best young amateur players to showcase themselves.  Not a forum for Anthony's and Kidd's character rehabilitation and yet another showcase for Kobe, the reluctant angry player  ;D, and the primadonna.  The owners assume 100% of the risk for this collossal stupidity in the name of "patroitism".

I'll venture a pretty safe guess that the vast majority of NBA fans could care less about this meaningless event.  However, if the primadonna, Bryant, or any other prominent NBA player on that (or any other "olympic" roster) goes down and their team goes from contending to mediocre......there is nothing the media is going to be able to do to get them to buy tickets.

<----- extra late reply guy

Iowa I think your vitriol is not shared by most fans, or Americans in general.  Some people may not like Carmelo for character issues, but the majority aren't even aware of those issues.  But if the an ownership group attempted to prevent a player, any player, from participating in the Olympics it would be slammed.

I'm not talking about personal opinion here.  I'm talking about business.  And if the NBA made it standard for owners to deny their players to enter into the Olympics, the NBA would suffer in fan perception, which is something they already pay lots of attention to.

I would contend that the NBA would suffer a lot more if Yao, the primadonna, or Kobe goes down because they're playing 12 months out of the year than any fan "perception" negativity.  The owners assume all of the risk in this "competition".  The league reaps the benefits unless something happens to the players...Then everybody loses. 

But I will never associate Anthony with patroitism.

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 02:13:06 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
Well, let's remove Carmelo entirely from the conversation.

Yao Ming did go down for the second half of the season.  Did the NBA suffer?  Yao Ming did play in the Olympics, and everyone is agreeing how great it is for the NBA to grow it's fan base with millions of new Chinese fans.

Not to mention these same fans are now seeing players like Kobe and Lebron for the first time in their own country. 

Many people credit the original dream team with jumpstarting international interest in basketball.  Which now produces a worldwide fanbase instead of a national  fanbase.

It is simply good for the NBA to have it's best players go to the Olympics.

And, I still maintain it would be much, much worse for the NBA to deal with the public backlash of keeping players from competing for their nation than it EVER would for having to deal with 1 star being injured.... POSSIBLY.

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Yao Ming did go down for the second half of the season.  Did the NBA suffer?  Yao Ming did play in the Olympics, and everyone is agreeing how great it is for the NBA to grow it's fan base with millions of new Chinese fans.

Not to mention these same fans are now seeing players like Kobe and Lebron for the first time in their own country. 

Many people credit the original dream team with jumpstarting international interest in basketball.  Which now produces a worldwide fanbase instead of a national  fanbase.

And, I still maintain it would be much, much worse for the NBA to deal with the public backlash of keeping players from competing for their nation than it EVER would for having to deal with 1 star being injured.... POSSIBLY.

It maybe good for the NBA, but its not good for the individual teams.  If I were a season ticket holder, I would want to know that my star player isn't exhausted or worse injured due to non NBA play.  I believe that's Cuban's position and it makes sense to me.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

It maybe good for the NBA, but its not good for the individual teams.  If I were a season ticket holder, I would want to know that my star player isn't exhausted or worse injured due to non NBA play.  I believe that's Cuban's position and it makes sense to me.

Yeah, it makes sense to me as well. What I don't understand is his whinning. Why doesn't he just sign contracts with players that don't allow them to play international games? If such contracts are not allowed, lobby the NBA to allow them. I'm pretty sure that for the right premium, most players would sign Cuban wouldn't be forced to sign players who would insist to play for their NTs. This way, it just seems he doesn't want to put his money where his mouth is.

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 03:04:51 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • 36 charges and counting..
Marc Cuban the idiot owner for the Mavs? ugh no.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Marc Cuban the idiot owner for the Mavs? ugh no.

Oh man, your picture bother me  :-\
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 03:11:55 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Yeah, it makes sense to me as well. What I don't understand is his whinning. Why doesn't he just sign contracts with players that don't allow them to play international games? If such contracts are not allowed, lobby the NBA to allow them. I'm pretty sure that for the right premium, most players would sign Cuban wouldn't be forced to sign players who would insist to play for their NTs. This way, it just seems he doesn't want to put his money where his mouth is.

I like the idea
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Mark Cuban has kind of answered a question I have had all along which is why USA BBall has not been on NBC or even had highlights being shown.

It sounds a little too conspiratorial though. NBC is a afraid to promote the NBA because it might take away from their own sports product. I don't really understand it though at all. Wouldn't the ratings be at their highest if NBC shows a 'popular' sport like basketball. Isn't the bottom line the most important things with the Olympics and television?

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Mark Cuban has kind of answered a question I have had all along which is why USA BBall has not been on NBC or even had highlights being shown.

It sounds a little too conspiratorial though. NBC is a afraid to promote the NBA because it might take away from their own sports product. I don't really understand it though at all. Wouldn't the ratings be at their highest if NBC shows a 'popular' sport like basketball. Isn't the bottom line the most important things with the Olympics and television?

I wasn't aware that NBC had any sports product to speak of.

NBC and objectivity is an oxymoron in the highest sense.   They probably are arrogant enough to think that they'll maintain ratings without basketball.

"Yao Ming did go down for the second half of the season.  Did the NBA suffer?"

I would suggest checking attendance for the Rockets' away games to figure that out.  Long term, after watching Yao bent over at every break after he already broke down last season, I'd say, long term, it's absolutely devastating to both the Rockets and the NBA.

I rarely, if ever agree with Cuban.  But he couldn't be more on the right side of this issue.  It isn't the NBA who has to continue to write the checks to these players if they get injured in this charade.  If Novitski goes down, Cuban won't be able to give tickets away for what will happen to his team.

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum

I wasn't aware that NBC had any sports product to speak of.

NBC and objectivity is an oxymoron in the highest sense.   They probably are arrogant enough to think that they'll maintain ratings without basketball.

"Yao Ming did go down for the second half of the season.  Did the NBA suffer?"

I would suggest checking attendance for the Rockets' away games to figure that out.  Long term, after watching Yao bent over at every break after he already broke down last season, I'd say, long term, it's absolutely devastating to both the Rockets and the NBA.

I rarely, if ever agree with Cuban.  But he couldn't be more on the right side of this issue.  It isn't the NBA who has to continue to write the checks to these players if they get injured in this charade.  If Novitski goes down, Cuban won't be able to give tickets away for what will happen to his team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:2007-08_Houston_Rockets_season_game_log

There was a marginal at best drop off in home game attendance.

Here are some links supporting the idea that sending the Olympic players to China has increased market value for the NBA:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=awOu2_fPZ0UU&refer=amsports%20%20?rss=true

http://olympics.scmp.com/Article.aspx?id=927&section=spotlight

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2006-08-07-stern-china_x.htm

http://www.bizofbasketball.com/?view=article&id=507%3Anba-opening-stores-in-china-next-month-using-olympics-to-boost-interest&Itemid=1&option=com_content

The last one is probably my favorite.

So, like I was saying, the overall gain for the league far far outweighs the potential loss of one player.  Sure, the Rockets suffered financially when Yao went down.  How much money do you think they make off of Rockets gear sold in China?  I'm guessing it more than a little bit outweighs that amount.

If the NBA allowed self-interested or short-sighted owners to prohibit their best players from participating in the Olympics, it would be a PR nightmare and it would greatly slow the international growth of the league.

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
OK this isn't fair I finally make a good point and everyone runs away.

That's it, from now on I'm not arguing anything unless I know I'm wrong.