Author Topic: Uncut Gems - must-see for KG fans  (Read 3367 times)

Uncut Gems - must-see for KG fans
« on: December 27, 2019, 08:26:12 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Yesterday saw the new Adam Sandler movie, Uncut Gems.  The Safdie brothers have a real winner combining two unlikely and unrelated subjects, the diamond district in NYC and betting on professional basketball.  Kevin Garnett's acting seemed effortless and Sandler is sure to be nominated for an Oscar.  Plenty of Celtics film from their 2012 playoff run against the Sixers.  A loud action packed movie with many odd-ball characters, some of whom are not professional character actors.  This is a must-see movie.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Re: Uncut Gems - must-see for KG fans
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Seeing it on Sunday instead of Star Wars. Looking forward to it, it's already had the best opening in the studio's history.

Good on Adam Sandler for doing a relatively low key movie after all of those Netflix comedies that print money for him. Really enjoyed that BS Report with him and KG.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 10:07:26 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Just saw it last night. We were planning on seeing 1917 but I guess it comes out on the 10th. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with the movie. Sandler's acting was good and definitely not what you expect out of him. I thought the movie was a bit slow at first but it did a good job of building up and as mentioned, I think being a Celtics fan and a KG guy, it definitely added an extra element.

I have some other thoughts but don't want to spoil the movie so I can share it later. Ultimately, I wouldn't necessarily pay to watch it at the movie, but don't regret that I did and it was one of the movies that makes you thinking about it afterwards.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 02:42:14 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Bump!

This movie is worth your time.  KG plays himself on and off the court.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Just went and saw this and didn't care for it. Adam Sandler was good playing a different role and of course it was awesome watching the Big Ticket on the big screen but  just didn't care for the story and constant failure of Sandler's character and even when he wins.....he really doesn't. I could see how some would like it just not my cup of tea.

Prly not the best time/money spent for  my wife and I but had to see it! Really like Sandler and KG was a no brainier.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 06:19:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Excited to see this to be honest. Really liked ‘Good Time’ by the Safdie brothers.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Just went and saw this and didn't care for it. Adam Sandler was good playing a different role and of course it was awesome watching the Big Ticket on the big screen but  just didn't care for the story and constant failure of Sandler's character and even when he wins.....he really doesn't. I could see how some would like it just not my cup of tea.

Prly not the best time/money spent for  my wife and I but had to see it! Really like Sandler and KG was a no brainier.

I agree that Sandler's character was annoying and hard to root for, which I think was kind of the point. I disliked him as a person and although in the end (spoiler) I was hoping for the win, maybe part of it was because it was the Celtics.

I went in looking to watch 1917 but I guess it's not out yet, so we settled with Gems. My assessment is that I wouldn't pay to watch it in the theater, but could pay to watch it On Demand and definitely if it was on streaming (Netflix, Prime). Then again, there are only a few movies that I get excited enough to pay in the theater.
Baby Jesus!