Author Topic: Finding a better nickname for Williams than ‘time lord’  (Read 10392 times)

Re: Finding a better nickname for Williams than ‘time lord’
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2018, 06:51:50 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, between the rim and a shooter's fingertips, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area owned by the one who we call Time Lord.

awesome....TP
We better stop giving this kid so much love or he will become pregnant.
TP.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I agree with Ainge that it’s a poor nickname and has negative connotations too, sorry if this has already been pitched but ‘Lob Williams’ is much better IMO.

Agree?

get ready to melt

TIMELORD has already stuck and scalabrine uses it often

sorry pal

DWI!

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TIMELORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES TIMELORD!!!!!!!!!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2018, 08:58:00 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Timelord is looking good lately.

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
From the telecast: The Block Mamba

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I don’t like the Lob Williams one mentioned on the broadcast
Sounds too generic imo

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2018, 09:39:05 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Robert Williams is the Timelord. The internet has spoken, and trying to stop that would be, well, like trying to stop time itself.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2018, 10:02:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
From the telecast: The Block Mamba
I love this one too. Hey, Shaq has about 2 dozen nicknames. Williams can have two. Timelord and Block Mamba.

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2018, 11:19:15 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Lobert Williams

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2018, 12:05:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is wrong with time lord??

I dont get it

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2018, 12:24:19 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
**** is wrong with time lord??

I dont get it

Some people feel it has a negative connotation because it's related to him missing his intro press conference, his flight, etc. According to the Weird Celtics Twitterati that came up with it, it was actually to make fun of the journalists who made such a big deal out of those early foibles, rather than to make fun of Timelord himself.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2018, 01:10:32 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
TIMELORD!

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2018, 03:55:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I dont get it

Some people feel it has a negative connotation because it's related to him missing his intro press conference, his flight, etc. According to the Weird Celtics Twitterati that came up with it, it was actually to make fun of the journalists who made such a big deal out of those early foibles, rather than to make fun of Timelord himself.
That honestly sounds like nonsense backtracking to me.  The thing about twitter is you can very easily do a date range search on keywords by user.  You're not going to find any references from these guys "making fun of journalists", because it's just a little spin.  Interestingly, I can't find the earliest Time Lord tweets from that twitter users taking credit for it - I suspect they may have deleted them. 

Bottom line is that he missed his intro press conference, because he mixed up Time Zones.  They then started calling him Time Lord as a joke reference to Doctor Who. 

Per the actual article in which the twitter user Riff explains the origin:

(Riff) and friends began joking that the rookie hadn’t actually been late, per se, but was simply “operating on a different timeline concurrent to the one we are in,” like some sort of basketball-playing “Doctor Who” character.

Bottom line is that whether you see it as a good-natured joke nickname making fun of Robert or a good-natured joke nickname making fun of journalists (ok?), it's still a nickname that stems from Robert's early mistakes and that could be why Ainge and Robert himself are on record saying they aren't a fan of it. 

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2018, 04:01:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I dont get it

That honestly sounds like nonsense backtracking to me.  The thing about twitter is you can very easily do a date range search on keywords by user.  You're not going to find any references from these guys "making fun of journalists", because it's just a little spin.  Interestingly, I can't find the earliest Time Lord tweets from that twitter users taking credit for it - I suspect they may have deleted them. 

Bottom line is that he missed his intro press conference, because he mixed up Time Zones.  They then started calling him Time Lord as a joke reference to Doctor Who. 

Per the actual article in which the twitter user Riff explains the origin:

(Riff) and friends began joking that the rookie hadn’t actually been late, per se, but was simply “operating on a different timeline concurrent to the one we are in,” like some sort of basketball-playing “Doctor Who” character.

Bottom line is that whether you see it as a good-natured joke nickname making fun of Robert or a good-natured joke nickname making fun of journalists (ok?), it's still a nickname that stems from Robert's early mistakes and that could be why Ainge and Robert himself are on record saying they aren't a fan of it.
Listen... 10 years ago my Aunt served an unbaked pumpkin pie during Thanksgiving.  We've lovingly been calling her "Pumpkin Soup" ever since.

Like... she followed all the necessary steps, but somehow missed the "bake it" part. 

Imagine that...

Imagine whisking pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth.  Imagine pouring that delicious mixture into a crust.   Imagine serving that as-is without baking it...

That's what Aunt Pumpkin Soup did.  She'll never hear the end of it.

But to be clear, we only called her "Pumpkin Soup" to make fun of the journalists who make a big deal out of serving unbaked pumpkin pies.  It wasn't intended to insult Aunt Pumpkin Soup herself.  "Pumpkin Soup" exists as a social commentary about reactionary sports radio talking heads and fans who were convinced her cooking mishap would make her a bust. 

I'm signing off on "Block Mamba".  That's legit.

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2018, 04:57:44 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Robert Williams is the Timelord. The internet has spoken, and trying to stop that would be, well, like trying to stop time itself.

Which can only be done by Time Lord himself.

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Which can only be done by Time Lord himself.
and thus He Has Spoken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwvxcvr_A2o