Author Topic: Wyc on Felger and Mazz at 2:30pm  (Read 5842 times)

Re: Wyc on Felger and Mazz at 2:30pm
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 04:22:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I must say this... danny found some real talent in 0 time... stevens improved and trusted guys like tatum brown... but they both forgot about how a team is built.. this celtics team has some real flows...
3 generals.. irwing rozier smart... 2 who are scoring first guards and a guy that is great defender nothing more...
No outside shooters.. behind brown and horford we needed shooters...
No rebound... williams can be good in a few years horford is getting older baynes is mediocre yabusele is bad
Morris wanted to score only..

They got greedy

Too many alpha minded players in one team

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
TP to whoever is able to summarize. I'm at work, so unable to :(

You can summarize his interview pretty much like this:

"All the people who thought there would be issues with what was unfolding from the very beginning were right.  All those who jumped on them for daring to question the narrative were wrong.  But, at least for now, I'm not going to get into specifics."

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny got three allstars who aren't that good.

Next.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 05:06:12 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Adam Kaufman
‏Verified account
 @AdamMKaufman

#Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck on @985TheSportsHub said this year's team was "one of the hardest to love...it was a tough year."

Dang... that truly speaks volumes coming from the owner  :o

Anyways are they allowed to ask Wyc about anything AD-related, or not until after the NBA season ends entirely?

They can ask him whatever they want, but I can't imagine he would answer anything about that until/unless a deal is reached
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I saw some Wyc quotes on twitter from that interview, and I wasn't impressed.

I just listened to the whole interview, and I'm still not impressed. Wyc didn't say anything, but that's understandable since he hasn't met with Danny or Stevens yet. In that sense, the interview was premature.

I wished he had said more about Danny's health. There are questions here about whether Danny feels he is healthy enough to continue as GM after two heart attacks. Seemed that Wyc avoided comment here.

I also wished they had asked about whether old Celtics like KG and Pierce would be invited to join the Celtics staff. There has been some criticism about the asst coaches and front office lacking experienced ex players.

It has also always disturbed me that a young inexperienced coach like Stevens has such a big say in personnel decisions.
I've felt at time that he and Ainge weren't on the same page, especially on the question of the role of bigs. The Celtics traditionally have been strong in the paint. Stevens never really coached bigs at Butler.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:41:17 PM by Bobshot »

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

He was trying to keep things as bland and uncontroversial as he could, IMO.  And that's the right way to go, given the current situations.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 05:19:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
TP to whoever is able to summarize. I'm at work, so unable to :(

You can summarize his interview pretty much like this:

"All the people who thought there would be issues with what was unfolding from the very beginning were right.  All those who jumped on them for daring to question the narrative were wrong.  But, at least for now, I'm not going to get into specifics."

The thing is, there were like 3 people in America who thought there would be issues such as what transpired. Pretty much everyone following the Celtics, including most everyone on CelticsStrong, didn't have those concerns.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Listened to it. Nothing revealing. Mum on whether they were negotiating with Kyrie. He clearly frustrated by the team’s performance, calling it a disconnect between their potential and actual results. Said they will evaluate each player to see who fits and who doesn’t. Said they had talks about certain players during trade deadline but decided not to move anyone, and retrospect that may have been a mistake.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Adam Kaufman
‏Verified account
 @AdamMKaufman

#Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck on @985TheSportsHub said this year's team was "one of the hardest to love...it was a tough year."

Anyways are they allowed to ask Wyc about anything AD-related, or not until after the NBA season ends entirely?
"Hard to Love" sounds like owner euphemism for didn't like at all.

Glad for the frankness and the acknowledgement.  I don't think I've been disappointed in this way by a C's team - maybe ever.  Even with Curtis Rowe/ Sydney Wickes the expectations weren't what they were this season. 

And not only expectations for this season -- the C's seemed to be on the verge of perreniel contention.  I believed that the C's were going to be in the mix for a basketball generation.  And then just... splat. From the 10-10 start -- despite a few "did they flip the switch?" moments -- just disappointment after disappointment. 

Overusing the word clearly, but I feel a little traumatized by this season -- like the rug got pulled out from under and my trust for GM, Coach, Players which was so high, is now tentative at best.  Glad at least Wyc isn't denying reality.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I listened to it and Wyc was a hard no on commenting on specific players.  His comment that this team was the hardest to love is a telling comment.  He also said Danny and Brad are the best in the business so that is telling if either are on the hot seat.  He wouldn't comment on Danny's health when it came up and if Danny should step down because of it.  He was asked if anyone was untouchable and he evaded it by deflecting that it was more of a Danny question because he would trade his mother.  He said Danny presents trade offers to ownership but he's the one who sets it up.  He said all players are under review and they will decide who they are going to build around.  Some good info if you read between the lines.  I'm not sure if Ownership wants Kyrie back but I think no matter what they will blow it up in regards to letting people go or trading people that don't fit chemistry wise.  Seems they thought talent would figure out Chemistry but in turn it didn't and he blames himself for not fixing it by making deals.
God bless you!
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

He was trying to keep things as bland and uncontroversial as he could, IMO.  And that's the right way to go, given the current situations.

Thanks. I just listened to the interview from the link, and rewrote my comments above.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 05:46:01 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
Adam Kaufman
‏Verified account
 @AdamMKaufman

Glad for the frankness and the acknowledgement.  I don't think I've been disappointed in this way by a C's team - maybe ever.  Even with Curtis Rowe/ Sydney Wickes the expectations weren't what they were this season. 

And not only expectations for this season -- the C's seemed to be on the verge of perreniel contention.  I believed that the C's were going to be in the mix for a basketball generation.  And then just... splat. From the 10-10 start -- despite a few "did they flip the switch?" moments -- just disappointment after disappointment. 

Overusing the word clearly, but I feel a little traumatized by this season -- like the rug got pulled out from under and my trust for GM, Coach, Players which was so high, is now tentative at best.  Glad at least Wyc isn't denying reality.

Everything went downhill for the Celtics when Auerbach retired as GM. The future GMs he picked were not successful.
The turning point for me was when that young GM (name?) traded Ainge for lesser players. That was the beginning of the end until Ainge came back as GM and slowly put the pieces back together.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Adam Kaufman
‏Verified account
 @AdamMKaufman

Everything went downhill for the Celtics when Auerbach retired as GM. The future GMs he picked were not successful.
The turning point for me was when that young GM (name?) traded Ainge for lesser players. That was the beginning of the end until Ainge came back as GM and slowly put the pieces back together.

Was that Jan Volk?  If I am remembering correctly, Volk was really smart (I think a lawyer?) and a cap wizard but was not cut out to be a GM.

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
I listened to it and Wyc was a hard no on commenting on specific players.  His comment that this team was the hardest to love is a telling comment.  He also said Danny and Brad are the best in the business so that is telling if either are on the hot seat.  He wouldn't comment on Danny's health when it came up and if Danny should step down because of it.  He was asked if anyone was untouchable and he evaded it by deflecting that it was more of a Danny question because he would trade his mother.  He said Danny presents trade offers to ownership but he's the one who sets it up.  He said all players are under review and they will decide who they are going to build around.  Some good info if you read between the lines.  I'm not sure if Ownership wants Kyrie back but I think no matter what they will blow it up in regards to letting people go or trading people that don't fit chemistry wise.  Seems they thought talent would figure out Chemistry but in turn it didn't and he blames himself for not fixing it by making deals.

Everyone should give you a TP. Thanks tonydelk...even tho U (Rodney Rogers) never ended up being worth joe Johnson, haha