Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 393920 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #540 on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Middleton is out for "several weeks" per Shams

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1194016416183279616

Never want to root for injury but between this and Lowry/Ibaka and Ben Simmons already banged up we've got no excuses if we can't keep pace with the East while Hayward's out.

Interesting for our Bucks pick.  Would be great if it ends up sat low 20s than like 30.  Giannis is really going to carry a heavy load. 

« Reply #541 on: November 11, 2019, 05:49:41 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Kawhi wants to trademark "What It Do Baby"
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/10/28/kawhi-leonard-seeks-trademark-what-it-do-baby

If there's one thing I could trademark in my life, that would be it.

I'm far from hip, but Kawhi saying "what it do baby" went viral?

When I hear "what it do baby" I think of Paul Wall.   Feel like he started off every verse with "what it do" and sometimes followed by "baby."

But now we're talking about a rapper from 10-15 years ago.

I'm farther from hip and just curious as to what it means..?

Whats up? Whats happening? How are you? Its a greeting!!!!

Ahhh -- I get it!  Unlikely I'll add it to my lexicon, but good to know.

« Reply #542 on: November 11, 2019, 06:42:22 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I know its early but Raptors showed that Lakers is weak against teams with multiple wing defenders who can switch and recover quickly. AKA small ball works against them.
Is it really small ball when they have a 6'9 Siakam playing PF and a 7'1 Gasol at C? Tatum is 6'8, but he plays way smaller than his height (although his defensive rebounding and shotblocking ability are pretty good) due to his lack of strength. Just don't see us doing the same when we don't have a Siakam type of PF who can switch between Bron and AD seamlessly, we'll probably have to trot out a frontcourt with two of Kanter/Theis/R Williams/G Williams to not get dominated inside.

Siakam is not a true big. He have length but I don't think he have the strength to defend true centers.  Smart and Brown can defend both AD and Lebron just fine. And with Timelord further developing, I like our chances against them. Clippers didn't exactly have Siakam-type either. Harrell is more of a Rodman/Wallace type and they beat the Lakers on opening night. I bet that if the Warrior still have their big 3, they also have a good chance against the Lakers.

Small ball also doesn't equal no Center lineup. It could be 1 Center and 3 guards, depending on the matchup. Gasol can be applied on a small ball as he doesn't kill the spacing and he have some intelligence to stay on mismatches ala Horford.

« Reply #543 on: November 12, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I know its early but Raptors showed that Lakers is weak against teams with multiple wing defenders who can switch and recover quickly. AKA small ball works against them.
Is it really small ball when they have a 6'9 Siakam playing PF and a 7'1 Gasol at C? Tatum is 6'8, but he plays way smaller than his height (although his defensive rebounding and shotblocking ability are pretty good) due to his lack of strength. Just don't see us doing the same when we don't have a Siakam type of PF who can switch between Bron and AD seamlessly, we'll probably have to trot out a frontcourt with two of Kanter/Theis/R Williams/G Williams to not get dominated inside.

Siakam is not a true big. He have length but I don't think he have the strength to defend true centers.  Smart and Brown can defend both AD and Lebron just fine. And with Timelord further developing, I like our chances against them. Clippers didn't exactly have Siakam-type either. Harrell is more of a Rodman/Wallace type and they beat the Lakers on opening night. I bet that if the Warrior still have their big 3, they also have a good chance against the Lakers.

Small ball also doesn't equal no Center lineup. It could be 1 Center and 3 guards, depending on the matchup. Gasol can be applied on a small ball as he doesn't kill the spacing and he have some intelligence to stay on mismatches ala Horford.
I like the optimism, but there is no way Brown can cover AD.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #544 on: November 12, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I like the optimism, but there is no way Brown can cover AD.

But Robert Williams III can!

« Reply #545 on: November 12, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Sorry, but this "small ball" needs to die a quick death.

Small ball is a clear path to a dead end.

The opposing team will go big and will eat the team playing small ball alive for dinner.

« Reply #546 on: November 12, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The opposing team will go big and will eat the team playing small ball alive for dinner.

Warriors say hi.

« Reply #547 on: November 12, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Warriors say hi.
It's abit different when you have two of the best shooters in history

« Reply #548 on: November 12, 2019, 09:48:19 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Warriors say hi.
It's abit different when you have two of the best shooters in history

That's true, but the narrative on them was that they couldn't win in the playoffs with their three point shooting and small ball lineup. That was the narrative on them, but they rewrote the narrative by winning.

« Reply #549 on: November 12, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I've been on this site for over a decade and people have been saying the same things about small ball the entire time. I think it's here to stay.

« Reply #550 on: November 12, 2019, 10:23:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Length helps a lot though, he can be a credible help defender on the largest of big men with his 6'9 frame and long wingspan, and he can probably guard modern bigs straight up like AD. And Brown is definitely not able to cover AD lol, at least not full time like Siakam can due to his lack of size. The Clippers have a 6'7 Kawhi whose functional height is that of a 6'8 forward (he has a short neck) as well as possessing a 7'3 wingspan, he can definitely guard bigs (Brown is 6'6 with a 7 foot wingspan, he's not in the same class as Kawhi when it comes to size and length). And a Rodman/Wallace type is definitely able to check bigs adequately lol. Anyways I'm just saying that our full strength starting 5 (Walker/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Theis or R Williams) will have problems defending the Lakers due to their size at the PF spot since Brown/Hayward/Tatum really can't guard AD credibly for long stretches due to simply lacking the requisite size and length to check legitimate big men.

Small ball absolutely doesn't equate to no center lineups, but Toronto never played 1 big 3 guard lineups against the Lakers for significant stretches. I just don't think that Toronto played small against LAL, I think they trotted out a modern lineup with a good mix of size, length, skill and speed to swarm the Lakers' bully ball.

Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #551 on: November 12, 2019, 10:43:17 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Warriors say hi.

Warriors also played with big men like McGee, Pachulia, Bogut, Cousins, Ezeli, Jason Thompson, Kevon Looney, Varajeo.

The idea that the Warriors got by without size is very misleading

« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I've been on this site for over a decade and people have been saying the same things about small ball the entire time. I think it's here to stay.

I'm sure it is. Only issue is teams that play "small ball" end up going home for the summer with their hands on their "small ball" rather than hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy.

« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm sure it is. Only issue is teams that play "small ball" end up going home for the summer with their hands on their "small ball" rather than hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy.
Doesn't three NBA titles for the Warriors make this statement false?

« Reply #554 on: November 12, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Small ball isn't going away if you got guys who can shoot. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team