Author Topic: Should Scal Start Against the Magic (to guard Rashard Lewis)? (merged)  (Read 21005 times)

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 30
You prob weren't talking to me, but I have respect for both of your opinions, and everyone elses too, hey, we are all on the same team here..!

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I agree.  Start Scali. 

Celtics are still a defense 1st team.  This sets up the defense better.

Davis should not be chasing Lewis around.  All it will do is 1) exhaust him and 2) get him in foul trouble.  Then we will be seeing Scali and Miki having to guard Howard. 

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
yes.

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 30
Maybe MM can do it...right height..!

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
OK, scal earned a starting spot game2. Good call guys

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yup. I'll take smarts and effort right now with a smile on my face, since they're in some short supply.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Yeah. Defensively I think he can do a better job. He'll spread the floor more. Then Baby can back up Perk making sure Mikki will stay nailed to the bench. Nothing against Baby who's done a great job. Besides Scal has an undefeated streak as starter this season to protect  ;D
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Yeah. Defensively I think he can do a better job. He'll spread the floor more. Then Baby can back up Perk making sure Mikki will stay nailed to the bench. Nothing against Baby who's done a great job. Besides Scal has an undefeated streak as starter this season to protect  ;D

Baby did fine on offense.

But the way Lewis hurt the Celtics when Davis was guarding him vs. Davis not being able to abuse Lewis down low, just not good for the Celtics.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

But the way Lewis hurt the Celtics when Davis was guarding him vs. Davis not being able to abuse Lewis down low, just not good for the Celtics.
I think rebounding is the big advantage most power forwards can get against Rashard Lewis. A solid rebounding PF could easily be plus +4 on the backboards against Lewis, over 36 minutes, which creates some extra possessions. Unfortunately, Davis doesn't bring that to the table.

Defensively, Rashard Lewis has been very good at power forward.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The comeback all started with Scal's 3 that got the lead down to 23.

Scal looks so much better passing the ball around these days. He was throwing the ball away so much in past years with the Celtics. And all of Scal's moves to the hoop at least got rim. He is a legitimate player this year.

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

I definitely agree. Today Lewis got the better of him but I meant in general. He's impressed me in his time as a starter but its time to give up the spot to Scal. Maybe he can start again if we play the Cavs.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Offline rrc589

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
The only reason I'd be wary of starting Scal over Baby is because Baby has shown that he plays better when he is a starter.

Otherwise, I'd love to see Scal start, he's earned it, and the team could benefit from it.

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The only reason I'd be wary of starting Scal over Baby is because Baby has shown that he plays better when he is a starter.

Otherwise, I'd love to see Scal start, he's earned it, and the team could benefit from it.

Davis doesn't need to start to play well.  He just needs good constant minutes.

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Yes, Yes , Yes
Doc has this honor code ethic where guys earn their minutes and BBD has certainly earned his; but this series is all about match ups.

Offline PaulBonner

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I think aside from Rondo's 7 turnovers, the biggest number from last night's box score that jumped out to me was this:

Brian Scalabrine: +22

Scal played better defense on Lewis than I thought him physically capable. I don't think Scal necessarily needs to start, but he needs to see 25-30 minutes in game 2.