Author Topic: Expect the unexpected.....which star could wear green in December?  (Read 7486 times)

Re: Expect the unexpected.....which star could wear green in December?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm also going to play devils advocate ---

James Harden wants a trade out, yay or nay?

Let's assume he chooses Boston as one of his destination which limits his trade value somewhat --- and the Rockets definitely want a minimum of Jaylen Brown, Theis, and some draft picks as the starting conversation? What do y'all think?
I believe our chance to land Harden was when Danny traded Perk to the Thunder for Jeff Green. According to rumors, the trade was originally for Harden, not Green.

http://www.celticslife.com/2011/05/trade-was-originally-for-harden-not.html

Personally speaking, I hate Harden's game. I wouldn't want us to trade for him.

Ya the heat would never do it, partly because taking on Kemba means absorbing salary after next year which inhibits their ability to go after a max guy like Giannis in the summer 21.
They'd still have enough cap space to go after Giannis. The idea of a big 3 consisting of Kemba-Butler-Giannis would be a pretty strong selling point in their attempt to sign Giannis. Not to mention, Bam would be a bad fit next to Giannis, whereas Kemba would be a great fit next to both Giannis and Butler.

But also Bam is 22, kemba is 30.
Yep, this is why I believe they would never do it.

Paul adds money to out books, and I dont think the Thunder do that because the whole point of trading Paul is to wipe your books clean and get bad enough to get top picks. Kemba does neither of those things.
Well, the Thunder could have up to 13 first-round picks and six second-round picks over the next seven drafts! They got 6(!) firsts in less than 72 hours last summer from the PG trade to the Clips and the Jerami Grant trade to the Nuggets!

With that many picks, they don't need to tank. They can rebuild on the fly, just like Danny did using the Nets picks. Besides, they already got a terrific young prospect in SGA.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:37:00 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 11:13:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Let's assume he chooses Boston as one of his destination which limits his trade value somewhat --- and the Rockets definitely want a minimum of Jaylen Brown, Theis, and some draft picks as the starting conversation? What do y'all think?
I believe our chance to land Harden was when Danny traded Perk to the Thunder for Jeff Green. According to rumors, the trade was originally for Harden, not Green.

http://www.celticslife.com/2011/05/trade-was-originally-for-harden-not.html

Personally speaking, I hate Harden's game. I wouldn't want us to trade for him.

Ya the heat would never do it, partly because taking on Kemba means absorbing salary after next year which inhibits their ability to go after a max guy like Giannis in the summer 21.
They'd still have enough cap space to go after Giannis. The idea of a big 3 consisting of Kemba-Butler-Giannis would be a pretty strong selling point in their attempt to sign Giannis. Not to mention, Bam would be a bad fit next to Giannis, whereas Kemba would be a great fit next to both Giannis and Butler.

But also Bam is 22, kemba is 30.
Yep, this is why I believe they would never do it.

Paul adds money to out books, and I dont think the Thunder do that because the whole point of trading Paul is to wipe your books clean and get bad enough to get top picks. Kemba does neither of those things.
Well, the Thunder could have up to 13 first-round picks and six second-round picks over the next seven drafts! They got 6(!) firsts in less than 72 hours last summer from the PG trade to the Clips and the Jerami Grant trade to the Nuggets!

With that many picks, they don't need to tank. They can rebuild on the fly, just like Danny did using the Nets picks. Besides, they already got a terrific young prospect in SGA.

Actually no, they likely wouldn't. They'd have Kemba for 36, Butler for 36 and a 15 million cap hold for Bam and a 4 million dollar team option for Tyler Hero. Thats 91 million dollars committed for 4 guys, and given that  there probably wont be fans next year thats 91 against a cap that probably will be no more than 109 million (this years level). Its really tough to both Trade for Kemba and pursue Giannis.

But as you say its not really worth discussing because they wouldn't do the trade for other reasons.

And yes, OKC has a lot of picks. But the only ones they directly control are their own. There's a lot of value still in being bad enough to guarantee yourself a top half of the lottery pick. I just can't see why they'd trade Paul for a guy roughly on his level with an extra year on his deal.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 11:27:43 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Actually no, they likely wouldn't. They'd have Kemba for 36, Butler for 36 and a 15 million cap hold for Bam and a 4 million dollar team option for Tyler Hero. Thats 91 million dollars committed for 4 guys, and given that  there probably wont be fans next year thats 91 against a cap that probably will be no more than 109 million (this years level). Its really tough to both Trade for Kemba and pursue Giannis.

But as you say its not really worth discussing because they wouldn't do the trade for other reasons.

And yes, OKC has a lot of picks. But the only ones they directly control are their own. There's a lot of value still in being bad enough to guarantee yourself a top half of the lottery pick. I just can't see why they'd trade Paul for a guy roughly on his level with an extra year on his deal.
They wouldn't have both Bam and Kemba. This is assuming they trade Bam to the C's for Kemba.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 11:32:54 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Chris Paul - If he wasn't getting paid over $40 million, he'd be a perfect fit on most teams. He's still showing us the reason why he was called Point God, and he is the ipso facto leader for that OKC. My only qualms with him is that his main pursuit is to win a ring. If he truly does win a ring, he's definitely up in that upper tier of superstars, and would be heralded as one of the greatest PG's ever, (Magic Johnson & Stockton takes that cake for me personally.)
CP3 for Kemba straight up is a valid trade, salary-wise.

https://tradenba.com/trades/uxUhDOznq

Would you guys consider it? Do you think the Thunder would consider it?

That contract is bonkers though lol. Way too much $$$.
Way too much $$$, but Kemba's contract runs for 1 more year. Right now, Paul > Kemba.

Not sure whether I'd pull the trigger. Just playing devil's advocate. :P

It might be worth considering CP3, especially if we can't avoid the tax next season.
Chris Paul - If he wasn't getting paid over $40 million, he'd be a perfect fit on most teams. He's still showing us the reason why he was called Point God, and he is the ipso facto leader for that OKC. My only qualms with him is that his main pursuit is to win a ring. If he truly does win a ring, he's definitely up in that upper tier of superstars, and would be heralded as one of the greatest PG's ever, (Magic Johnson & Stockton takes that cake for me personally.)
CP3 for Kemba straight up is a valid trade, salary-wise.

https://tradenba.com/trades/uxUhDOznq

Would you guys consider it? Do you think the Thunder would consider it?

That contract is bonkers though lol. Way too much $$$.

I think the Thunder would agree to that trade. Paul has maybe 1 or 2 more solid to above average years. I think Walker's knee concerns are overblown, but I still don't know the full extent to the story. So who knows? I just don't see that happening.
It’s a lot of money per year, but it’s not that long. I’d consider it if Kemba’s knee is a serious problem.

Also, I’m not necessarily opposed to Simmons on this team. I just think saying his shooting won’t hurt us because Giannis’ astronomically better shooting hasn’t hurt the Bucks is a lazy comparison.

I'm not opposed to Simmons either. He could fit well with our team, I still think he has some ego issues that he needs to resolve.

That being said, Walker for CP3 straight up? I'd probably do that. I love CP3, I grew up watching him during his tenure with NOLA. He was always amazing to witness, and I'm proud to say I've seen him several games ingame, and he never ceases to surprise us with his ball handling.

I'm certainly playing devils advocate here, but at first I was a huge fan of the signing, but now I'm sort of souring on it. I like Walker, and any time you can get a starting All-Star PG that doesn't mind playing 2nd or 3rd fiddle to a younger player, you should sign him. But I wonder if his knee issues were well documented by the Hornets organization, or they had some feeling he was going to eventually break down.

Honestly, I was more miffed at the fact Kyrie, who sort of was a free agent in the sense that he could dictate where he wanted to go, wanted to leave from such a historic franchise. Some players just can't take the heat. I didn't want him after that Bucks series either.

But in our motion offense, I prefer to have a more defensive minded passing point guard that can make 3's, and won't take away shots from the Jays or Hayward. And Smart fits that to a T. I think his impact is better off as a starter.

I really wanted Dorian-Finney Smith; he's been lights out and is a great defender along with his ridiculous underpaid contract of 3/12.

Oof. Mavericks really lucked out on getting him.

Even Jeff Green has been lights out for the Rockets. (Where was those numbers Uncle Snooze?)

__

Man, that Harden one is tricky. I think he could definitely impede the development of Tatum, which is a big negative. But on the other hand, having Smart and Tatum cover his weaknesses defensively, Kemba and Tatum on the wings (I assume we’ve kept Kemba) shooting lights out, and a potential Clint Capela 2.0 in Timelord really seems like the perfect crew to maximise his ability.

Ultimately I probably say no because I despise Harden’s attitude, and I think Tatum can develop into a legit championship winning #1 option if he’s allowed to, which I think Harden stops.

Kemba for CP3 is probably a deal I would have to do. Paul is a better defender and passer, and is still a really solid shooter and scorer himself. He’d also make Brads life really easy. Kemba’s knee does concern me, but I want to give him a chance to prove his health before trading him. Would be terrible optics for Ainge given the IT debacle.

I know people don't like Harden's game, but it still amazes me that Harden even took those Rocket teams that far. CP3 is a great player, but he wasn't a good fit on that team, and many of us pointed that out.

People just dislike being outsmarted. Sure, Harden does those wacky tacky link your arms around someone to draw contact. I don't like that, but those are just the low lights of his game. Almost every superstar has some weakness that people don't like. (LeBron travels, Curry can't defend as well at times, Westbrook statpads, AD isn't a great playmaking big, Embiid trolls a lot on the court.)

But to me his game as a whole to me is beautiful, he's a maestro with the step back, and he's pretty much engineered his game to where he can practically dominate anyone at any time. He's taken role players like Gordon, Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin, Ariza, and several other decent players to the playoffs continuously as the go to guy. We can fault him for his playoff lack of success, but isn't that where you should draw the line? What about Stockton? What about Chris Paul?

People seem to pinpoint every negative aspect about his game instead of the fact he should've been MVP twice, led the league in assists, and has been averaging 31.15 PPG in the past 6 years. The dude has W/S of 133.3 and he's ONLY 30!

Harden doesn't boast what his contemporaries has, (excellent ball handling like Irving, lights out shooting like Steph, freakish athleticism like Giannis,) instead he uses his cunning ability to stretch the boundaries of what rules are,(2 steps back on the step back 3, half step before gather on his euro's, flailing arms to create contact for fouls,) and tries to use his 3 pointer to create space and get to the.

Sorry if I went on a rant, it just annoys me how people say, Harden's game isn't that great.

That being said, I think Harden & Tatum could absolutely co-exist.

Harden is a willing passer, and while he dominates the ball, him and Tatum could be a dynamic duo.

Also I would prefer to have Tatum/Harden/Smart as our main ball handlers, and I'd suspect in order to create enough cap room + space, Kemba would probably be the odd man out.

Tatum already exhibits the ability to generate offense 55% unassisted on 3's, could you imagine how much more potent & efficient Harden/Tatum could be they were working together? I don't know if either person could be impeded. Tatum has shown he's also willing to shoot the 3 off the catch, I would also imagine Harden's game could help translate and mentor Tatum's game into creating more contacts and selling it. I know people don't like that notion, but in order to become a superstar, you have to model your game to be respected like one.

That being said, I believe if a superstar like Harden is on the table, I would assume Ainge would at least entertain that notion.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

They wouldn't have both Bam and Kemba. This is assuming they trade Bam to the C's for Kemba.

Oh right, forgot that. Even so, at just 36 Kemba, 36 Butler and Hero at 4 you'd then need 9 minimum roster charges at like 900,000 each which makes it nearly impossible. I mean its really tough to fit 3 30% max guys on a the same team, even when Lebron/Wade/Bosh did it they each had to take a little under the max,  and Kemba/Butler can't do that since they are locked in. And I'm not sure Giannis would want to join a team with 31 year old Butler, 31 year old Kemba and nothing else.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:13:50 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In response to the Harden paragraphs you posted, I agree for the most part. He’s definitely hard done by because he has sort of broken the game by himself. I actually think he should have two MVP’s, and was very close to a third.

I also think Ainge would go after him, especially if he could flip Kemba, allowing Smart to start next to Harden. Talk about the perfect cover for him! All that said, I doubt Harden is made available unless they miss out on a ring the next two seasons.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2020, 06:37:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Zach Lavine could be a guy on the move. Whether or not we’re interested is a different kettle of fish, but I can’t say I predicted us getting Kemba from very far out

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2020, 07:22:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Zach Lavine could be a guy on the move. Whether or not we’re interested is a different kettle of fish, but I can’t say I predicted us getting Kemba from very far out

Very true, Lavine by all intents and purposes is a decent solid starting SG/PG that can space the floor, and has known he has that killer instinct. His defense mishaps are still bad but I think he'll adjust in the right system.

In response to the Harden paragraphs you posted, I agree for the most part. He’s definitely hard done by because he has sort of broken the game by himself. I actually think he should have two MVP’s, and was very close to a third.

I also think Ainge would go after him, especially if he could flip Kemba, allowing Smart to start next to Harden. Talk about the perfect cover for him! All that said, I doubt Harden is made available unless they miss out on a ring the next two seasons.

Sorry, if I went on a long rant, I just have a lot of NBA 'fans,' who say Harden's game sucks or that he's overrated, or that he 'cheats,' the system way too much. It gets tiring having to listen to people who doesn't know any better.

Hot take: If the Rockets get bounced in the first or 4-1 in the second round, I think Morey will most likely think about the possibility.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2020, 07:30:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Very true, Lavine by all intents and purposes is a decent solid starting SG/PG that can space the floor, and has known he has that killer instinct. His defense mishaps are still bad but I think he'll adjust in the right system.
I agree, I think he could play PG in the right system. Sadly I think it’d cost us Brown, but if a Kemba deal could be struck it would be very interesting. Stevens has an ability to make weak defenders look better than they are. He’s very young too. Could be a 3-team potential move, maybe.

Sorry, if I went on a long rant, I just have a lot of NBA 'fans,' who say Harden's game sucks or that he's overrated, or that he 'cheats,' the system way too much. It gets tiring having to listen to people who doesn't know any better.

Hot take: If the Rockets get bounced in the first or 4-1 in the second round, I think Morey will most likely think about the possibility.
Nah, don’t apologise. It’s really good to just have some normal basketball talk. He’s certainly not overrated, I actually think the opposite. His defence, especially in the low post, has become really solid. He’s come a long way since he was Trae Young-esque on defence. Our very own Paul Pierce used to cheese defenders into fouls very similarly, as did guys like Kobe.

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 08:52:24 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Oh right, forgot that. Even so, at just 36 Kemba, 36 Butler and Hero at 4 you'd then need 9 minimum roster charges at like 900,000 each which makes it nearly impossible. I mean its really tough to fit 3 30% max guys on a the same team, even when Lebron/Wade/Bosh did it they each had to take a little under the max,  and Kemba/Butler can't do that since they are locked in. And I'm not sure Giannis would want to join a team with 31 year old Butler, 31 year old Kemba and nothing else.
I put down the numbers. It turns out that the Heat have waived and stretched Ryan Anderson. To be honest, I had forgot about that. He's in their books in 2021-2022 for $5,214,584.

The Heat would have to dump Herro, Time Lord and Okpala for future picks + cap relief. By doing so, they'd be $35,494 short of Giannis' max. :P

1. Butler $36,016,200
2. Kemba $36,016,200
3. rookie minimum $1,028,851
4. rookie minimum $1,028,851
5. rookie minimum $1,028,851
6. rookie minimum $1,028,851
7. rookie minimum $1,028,851
8. rookie minimum $1,028,851
9. rookie minimum $1,028,851
10. rookie minimum $1,028,851
11. rookie minimum $1,028,851
12. rookie minimum $1,028,851

dead cap
Ryan Anderson $5,214,584

total: $87,535,494

cap projection for 2021-2022: $125,000,000

cap space: $37,464,506 (= $125,000,000 - $87,535,494)

Giannis' max contract starts at $37,500,000 on year 1, hence they'd be $35,494 short!

Obviously, we don't know the final cap figures. It's possible that the cap in 2022 will be $125.5 million instead of $125 million, in which case the Heat would be able to create enough cap space for Giannis' max.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Chances are that the Heat have no interest in trading Bam for Kemba.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:57:41 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 08:56:24 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

I put down the numbers. It turns out that the Heat have waived and stretched Ryan Anderson. To be honest, I had forgot about that. He'll be in their books for $5,214,584.

The Heat would have to dump Herro, Time Lord and Okpala for future picks + cap relief. By doing so, they'd be $35,494 short of Giannis' max.

1. Butler $36,016,200
2. Kemba $36,016,200

dead cap
Ryan Anderson $5,214,584

Giannis' max contract starts at $37,500,000 on year 1, hence they'd be $35,494 short!

Obviously, we don't know the final cap figures. It's possible that the cap in 2022 will be $125.5 million instead of $125 million, in which case the Heat would be able to create enough cap space for Giannis' max.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Chances are that the Heat have no interest in trading Bam for Kemba.

Yes Id say its looking pretty unlikely the cap in 2021-2022 will be 125 million, given that next season may not have fans for part or even all of it. I mean its already looking like the 2020-2021 cap will be frozen at 109 down from 116.

But you're right, it wouldn't happen for other reasons anyway which is a shame because Bam would be a perfect fit on this team.

But maybe Rob Williams can be a version of that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:02:36 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

I put down the numbers. It turns out that the Heat have waived and stretched Ryan Anderson. To be honest, I had forgot about that. He'll be in their books for $5,214,584.

The Heat would have to dump Herro, Time Lord and Okpala for future picks + cap relief. By doing so, they'd be $35,494 short of Giannis' max.

1. Butler $36,016,200
2. Kemba $36,016,200

dead cap
Ryan Anderson $5,214,584

Ya man not only is it possible the cap won't be 125 million in 2021-2022, it almost certainly will not be since they there very likely wont be fans for part or all of next season. So ya, they won't have enough room.
Yeah, you are right. It's way more likely that the cap will end up lower than 125 mil.

My bad. I forgot that they waived Anderson. TP!

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

1. Butler $36,016,200
2. Kemba $36,016,200

dead cap
Ryan Anderson $5,214,584

Ya man not only is it possible the cap won't be 125 million in 2021-2022, it almost certainly will not be since they there very likely wont be fans for part or all of next season. So ya, they won't have enough room.
Yeah, you are right. It's way more likely that the cap will end up lower than 125 mil.

My bad. I forgot that they waived Anderson. TP!

Ya on the other hand maybe the cap does bounce back by then, I honestly have no idea. Nobody really does. its a big problem for C's trying to navigate the luxury tax situation. So TP for actually doing the math.

I mean like you said it doesn't matter since they arent trading us a 23 year old all star anyway. Personally I'm just gonna go and hope that Robert Williams turns into that guy.

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2020, 09:56:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think Hayward is moved for a big.

I'd honestly look at Aldridge and Rudy G for a few picks, Hayward, VP, GW and Semi.

Aaron Gordon and Ross are another option in a deal for Hayward.

Collins from Hawks is a long shot but Hawks have flexibility to accept Haywards large contract so maybe a deal with multiple 1st picks nets Collins?

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
It all depends on the price tag, but realistically speaking I wouldn't want us to trade for Harden.

- He's at his best when playing at a fast pace --> Great player in the regular season, not so much in the playoffs cause the pace of the game slows down.
- He's an awful defender.
- He's a ball hog --> Everyone else on the team must be willing to sit back and watch him play ISO-ball. Chances are, him and Tatum would be taking turns on offense. Brown, Hayward and Smart would have to adjust their offensive game in order to operate almost exclusively as weak side shooters. I bet the C's would become a dysfunctional team, like we were last season with Kyrie.

If the #1 goal is to boost ticket sales and team revenue, then Harden is a great player to have. If the #1 goal is to win playoff games, then thanks but no thanks. To put it another way, Harden is not a winner. He's an entertainer. 

Imo, the same goes for LaVine, plus he has a questionable (to say the least) basketball IQ. Most of the times he only cares about his own shots. The way I see it, LaVine may be the most overrated player in the NBA right now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:46:18 AM by Jvalin »