Author Topic: Expect the unexpected.....which star could wear green in December?  (Read 7487 times)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I have been a viewer and member of this blog for a couple of years and I've noticed that most topics are about unnuanced complaining about our players and making unrealistic trade proposals, to which I have been a proud contributor.

Unfortunately with soo many weeks without games there's not much material to burn our beloved Celtics to the ground, so it makes sense that a part of this blog is rather quiet. On the other hand there's no reason to stop starting trade threads that go into heated arguments and then immediately drop off, because everybody has realized how stupid the proposal was and don't feel anymore that they have to convince the rest.

The idea is floating around that the Celtics are done making significant moves. Our roster looks pretty much set in stone. And all the core guys look like keepers or unlogical trading pieces for various reasons. But a lot of big trades in recent years have often come totally out of the blue. And we can be sure that the Celtics FO is constantly monitoring the market on what's happening and who's possibly available for trades.

So fellow Celtics members please start some trade proposals and feel free to include a star you could imagine in a Celtics jersey, despite how farfetched it may seem for other more well-thinking members.

Re: Expect the unexpected.....which star could wear green in December?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:00:02 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Kemba + our 3 firsts for Simmons

I'd even be willing to include Theis in the trade. In this case, the Sixers would have to send us an additional player for salary matching purposes (let's say Mike Scott).

https://tradenba.com/trades/QYhiedMUW

The Sixers are in win-now mode, but they need cheap serviceable players to keep their payroll under control. I bet they would have a use for our picks.

My plan would be to use Simmons as a Point Center.

- run the point on offense
- guard the opposing big man on defense

I mean, can you guys think of a Center he wouldn't be able to defend? Maybe strong players like Drummond, but so what? If the plan is to feed Drummond in the low post, that's a recipe for disaster.

Depth chart after the trade

PG: Smart - Wanamaker - Waters
SG: Brown - Langford - Edwards
SF: Hayward - Semi - (Nets pick)
PF: Tatum - G. Williams - Scott
C: Simmons - Kanter - R. Williams

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Simmons can't shoot and this team/offense is a shoot-happy team. I'd be fine with not helping the 76ers on that

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Simmons can't shoot and this team/offense is a shoot-happy team. I'd be fine with not helping the 76ers on that
Giannis can't shoot either, yet he's about to win back-to-back MVPs. Obviously, Giannis is a better shooter than Simmons, but it doesn't really matter. Opposing defenders still dare Giannis to shoot, just like they do with Simmons.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 06:27:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Giannis can't shoot either, yet he's about to win back-to-back MVPs. Obviously, Giannis is a better shooter than Simmons, but it doesn't really matter. Opposing defenders still dare Giannis to shoot, just like they do with Simmons.
Completely irrelevant comparison. Man this one annoys me. Giannis is a 31% shooter from deep, having hit 83 this year (1.5 made threes per game). Ben Simmons has made 2 three pointers in his entire career, on 23 attempts. It’s like saying Shaq and 07-08 LeBron are comparable shooters - it’s just not true at all. It also completely matters because Giannis can create offence in the half-court, which Simmons cannot.

Thankfully, Stevens would probably stop with the farcical joke that is Simmons at PG. But until then it’s a huge pass
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 06:54:44 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
TP, Jvalin. Excellent proposal to get flambéed over. I'll start.

You've been pushing this idea before and I can see the appeal, particularly from an offense standpoint. With Simmons as your main ball handler surrounded by 4 guys who are legitimate threats from the 3-point-line you really put your opponent to the test. Especially in the open court this line-up is extremely dangerous no question about it.

In the halfcourt I envision Simmons defended at the top of the key, while 2 players on the right and 2 on the left side of the court are waiting for their man defender to leave them open, because he has to help in the paint to stop Simmons' drive to the basket. But there's no big to set a screen to play pick-and-roll. You're entirely dependent on Simmons beating his man one-on-one and making the right play. And although that might not be a bad go-to-play at all (look at how good Westbrook has been in Houston after the Capela => Covington change) it makes the team too one-dimensional for my taste.

This extreme small ball concept has started by the very succesful so-called Golden State 'death' line-up of Curry/Thompson/Iguodala/Durant/Green. In my opinion this has become a bit of a myth. Yes, that unit had some ridiculously good ratings, but why did Kerr only play like this for about 10-15 minutes a game? And actually mostly abandoned it in later years?

First of all, that power forward that played center in those line-ups is former DPOY Draymond Green. And while Simmons has become a sublime defender, he isn't used to bang in the post like Green and also Simmons has no experience as a primary rim protector (I believe Embiid is a not to be ignored factor in the Sixers defense). So I really question the interior defense and rebounding when Simmons is your starting center accompanied by Hayward and Tatum.

On offense the Warriors had the Splash Brothers plus one of the best offensive players of all time in Durant. That kind of off-ball threat is impossible to duplicate. Teams where completely overwhelmed when the death line-up was introduced to close games. Defensive schemes didn't work anymore. Panic overall. Media wrote that Kerr kept his best weapon on hand to use whenever necessary.

But why would you not utilize your best weapon and keep games unnecessary close? To preserve Draymond Green as was argued? I'm not buying that. Green was used to bang in the post against fysical players, he is very durable and having to guard bigger guys wouldn't change that much I think. What would matter is that against a legit center, Green would become somewhat exploitable being only 6'6/6'7. On the other side of the court teams started leaving the worst shooter wide open (Iguodala at that time) and lived with the results.

Teams were adjusting to that 'death line-up' and while I won't say that it didn't work at all, I do believe that after the surprise element was gone it became much less effective. Golden State has always played with true centers since then, whether it was Bogut, Pachulia, McGee, Looney or Cousins. And while the game is definitely changing I don't believe that centers will become a dying breed.

Yes, traditional post-ups have proven to be not be the most efficient offense play in general, but guys like Embiid and Jokic are still a problem. The tactics to switch on defense and defend the pick-and-roll has demanded much more from centers, so that's an adjustment that has to be made. But when you look around you see that true centers are still very succesful in the league. A couple of weeks ago Bleacher Report came out with their top 15 centers and I heard Theis wasn't on it, so I was a bit perplexed and felt that he was overlooked. I looked up their rankings and had no big beef with it:

Jokic, Embiid, Towns, Gobert, Adebayo, Vucevic, Ayton, Aldridge, Ibaka, Adams, Lopez, Harrell, Favors, Valanciunas, Wood. (not mentioned: Turner, Allen, Gasol, Whiteside, Capela, Drummond, Thompson, Jordan, Carter, McGee, Holmes, Zubac, Robinson, Howard, Poeltl, Noel)

Simmons at center will not do well against the majority of these guys. The advantage by a mismatch on offense will not offset the presence that you give up in the paint. Doing the dirty work in the paint, boxing out, protecting the rim, setting screens and getting offense rebounds is an overlooked art in the NBA. You see in the draft that there's a heavy focus on wings and guards and that talented bigs end up as a late first. I think it's a current trend and that this will change again.

As the list above indicates there's an abundance of good 'role-level' centers, so the market for centers isn't great and they are cheap to get. From a financial standpoint it makes sense to draft a wing over a big when they are comparably talented. Another aspect is that a lot of superstars lately have been wings (James, Durant, Leonard, George, Antetokounmpo) and thus the narrative is that wings have more impact on the game.

I'm not sure about that, I can well imagine that in a few years Embiid, Jokic, Williamson, Towns, Adebayo, Porzingis, Collins, Jackson Jr, Ayton are all considered top 20 players. And Antetokounmpo 6'11, 242 lb, can easily be considered as a superathletic big. Also with the emergence of Young, Morant, Fox, Mitchell, Booker and Doncic (guard or wing?) it might be that the league will become top guards/bigs heavy and that elite wings like Tatum, Siakam, Ingram and Brown (?) will be very scarce.

Okay, not sure where this is going to. Lots of rambling.

I believe it's a good idea to think outside the box and sometimes an unorthodox plan turns out to be genius, but look at the results so far for Houston (admit: small sample size) after the 'Capela => Covington' trade:

Houston with Capela on the roster, team stats:

33-18 record, PPG 2nd, RPG 6th, OR 2nd, DR 15th, DREB% 22nd

Houston with Covington on the roster, team stats:

7-6 record, PPG 7th, RPG 27th, OR 13th, DR 15th, DREB% 30th

On the other hand:

Russell Westbrook with Capela on the roster, player stats:

26.7 PPG 8.0 REB 7.3 AST 45.8 FG% 23.7 3P% 79.0 FT%

Russell Westbrook with Covington on the roster, player stats:

30.8 PPG 8.2 REB 5.5 AST 53.8 FG% 37.5 3P% 72.3 FT%

Simple conclusion: the trade worked to help Westbrook score much more effectively, but it didn't help the team overall. Not only the DREB% dropped to dead last in the NBA, but the OR plummeted from 2nd in the league to average at 13th. And that while Capela is far from a special player on offense. A center that sets screens and is a threat in the pick-and-roll adds a dimension to an offense that should not be overlooked.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:08:42 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Quote from: gouki88
It doesn't really matter whether a bad shooter is hitting 0%, 10% or 20% of his 3s. In all these cases, opposing defenders will still dare him to shoot, hence he's still hurting the offensive spacing. The same goes for Giannis who's shooting with 31%. I would argue that opposing defenders would still dare him to shoot even if he were an average shooter ( 33-34%). Why? Cause he's virtually unstoppable in the paint. Until and unless he becomes an above average 3pt shooter, opposing defenders will always dare him to shoot.

Quote from: RodyTur10
But there's no big to set a screen to play pick-and-roll. (...) It makes the team too one-dimentional
Just because the Sixers keep running their offense through Simmons, it doesn't mean that he can only be used as a ball dominant guard. Unfortunately for the Sixers, their 2 star players score the vast majority of their points in the paint. To a large extent, they cancel each other out. If Simmons weren't running the point, there would be no space in the paint for Embiid.

Imagine Simmons next to Smart and Hayward. Whenever he would be off the ball, he would be setting picks with a view to rolling hard to the basket. I would love to see the Smart-Simmons pick n roll!

why would you (=the Warriors) not utilize your best weapon (=death lineup) and keep games unnecessary close?
I guess cause no team (not even the prime Warriors) can maintain the same super fast tempo for 48 minutes. No point in having the death lineup on the court unless you are playing on a super fast pace.

Quote from:  RodyTur10
Green would become somewhat exploitable being only 6'6/6'7.
Simmons is 6'10'' though. I bet he can defend any big man, excluding the very physical ones like Drummond. Again, if the opposing team's plan is to feed Drummond in the post, that's a recipe for disaster. Btw, Theis is shorter than Simmons (6'8'').

And while the game is definitely changing I don't believe that centers will become a dying breed
Neither do I. This is why we would still have Kanter off the bench.

Simmons at center will not do well against the majority of these guys
Agree to disagree. I believe he would have serious problems against Embiid and Jokic (as would the vast majority of big men around the league, including Theis). If you ask me, he would be a terrific option against stretch 5s like KAT, Turner, Wood, LMA, Ibaka, Vuc, etc. Imo, Simmons is probably the best big man when it comes to playing D on the perimeter. I reckon he would hold his own against Bam, Harrell, Favors, Capela, Thompson, Holmes, etc. After all, all these guys are undersized at the 5 as well.

the narrative is that wings have more impact on the game
Yep, I agree with this narrative. The pace of the game is getting faster and faster, hence the big men are getting smaller and smaller. Fwiw, Simmons is a wing too. The C's would have 5 wings in their starting lineup (given that Smart operates as a wing on the defensive side of the ball).

look at the results so far for Houston
Again, Simmons is 6'10. Tucker is 6'5.

If you ask me, the Rockets are a travelling circus.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:34:03 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 03:21:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Quote from: gouki88
It doesn't really matter whether a bad shooter is hitting 0%, 10% or 20% of his 3s. In all these cases, opposing defenders will still dare him to shoot, hence he's still hurting the offensive spacing. The same goes for Giannis who's shooting with 31%. I would argue that opposing defenders would still dare him to shoot even if he were an average shooter ( 33-34%). Why? Cause he's virtually unstoppable in the paint. Until and unless he becomes an above average 3pt shooter, opposing defenders will always dare him to shoot.

I'm sorry, but this is pretty much an indefensible take. Giannis and Simmons are worlds apart in terms of what they do for their teams spacing. It doesn't matter whether teams dare Giannis to shoot or not, because it has absolutely no impact on their ability to stop him from tearing them to pieces. Toronto were only able to do it because they had the best wing defender post-2000, a former DPOY big-man, a former block champion big-man, and other good to great defensive wings in Green and Siakam.

There's a gulf the size of the Pacific Ocean between those two on offence. Giannis is also perhaps the best vertical spacer in the league (maybe behind Anthony Davis), whereas Simmons doesn't provide much vertical spacing, even though he should, because he has the ball too much on the perimeter. Giannis further generates near double the amount of free throws Simmons does, and only less than 1.5 assists per-36.

And last, and perhaps most importantly of all, Simmons has shown little to no development in his time in the league. Minor improvements to his efficiency, but a [dang]ing complete and utter lack of shooting improvement. That's not a guy that I want on my team.

To say Simmons' shooting won't hurt a team because freakin Giannis' doesn't (even though they're stratospheres apart in terms of shooting and general offensive impact) is a pretty dishonest representation of their ability. Daring Giannis to shoot doesn't lead to Milwaukee losing, but daring Simmons to shoot does lead to Philly losing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
It doesn't matter whether teams dare Giannis to shoot or not, because it has absolutely no impact on their ability to stop him from tearing them to pieces.
They cannot stop him cause whenever they double Giannis he finds the open man on the perimeter. This wouldn't be the case if he was paired with a low post scorer (for instance, Embiid). Opposing teams would clog the paint and Giannis would no longer be unstoppable.

Love Giannis, but he hasn't proved that he can dominate slow paced games. I mean, he couldn't even dominate the FIBA World Championship against clearly inferior opponents. Brazil clogged the paint and Giannis committed at least 2 (maybe 3, can't remember right now) offensive fouls while trying to attack the basket. Eventually, he fouled out.

At the end of the day, it's all about the supporting cast. The Bucks have surrounded Giannis with 3 terrific catch-and-shoot players, plus Bledsoe who's good enough to hit his open shots at an acceptable rate. The Sixers have paired Simmons with a superstar Center who demands the ball in the paint. Swap BroLo with Embiid and I bet the Bucks will become a dysfunctional team, just like the Sixers are with Simmons-Embiid. Remember Giannis playing next to Henson/Monroe (prior to the BroLo acquisition)? The Bucks ceiling was a first round exit in the playoffs. BroLo and coach Bud arrived in 2018. They instantly transformed the Bucks into legit championship contenders.

If you ask me, Simmons is the only player in the league who might be able to step into Giannis' shoes. I see a lot of similarities in their games. They are both close to 7 feet tall. They are both excellent ball handlers for their size. They both have great court vision. They are both bad shooters, but elite slashers. They are both amazing defenders.

Simmons is a better ball handler + passer (+ imo perimeter defender). Giannis is probably better at everything else. If Simmons is surrounded by shooters, I truly believe he will transform into an MVP candidate.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:06:58 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 09:24:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I really like Kemba and think he brings the perfect attitude and right amount of on-ball/off-ball tendencies for our young core; but, if you have a chance to acquire a 23 y/o (about to be 24) All-Star and future superstar, you do it. People may be divided on Simmons because of his shooting, but there is no doubting his immense talent. The biggest problem the Sixers have is that Simmons and Embiid aren't a great fit (especially with Horford). With Simmons now moving to PF (with Shake Milton at PG), the Sixers may have found a new recipe for success.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 09:38:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Kemba for Simmons makes me want to puke. That is an awful direction for us to be moving in.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 09:45:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
With regards to the the original thread premise, I do think a lot depends on what Hayward decides to do this offseason. If we are able to re-sign him for a fair, affordable deal, then that would be wonderful. However, if he simply picks up his option, then I think we may be forced to deal him. He is slated to make over $34M next season and with us being so close to the luxury tax line, shaving off a few million dollars may make all the difference in what we are able to do in future years. We only need one more year under the tax to completely re-start the clock. I have to imagine this is a factor in what Danny and ownership decide to do.

What NBA 'star' could we bring in using Hayward's contract and picks? I would say there probably aren't a lot of options. Kevin Love would shave about $3M off of next year's salary; Myles Turner would be a nice young piece at a position of need; Vucevic or Gordon from Orlando could make some sense.

Again, I am not desperately trying to move Hayward at any cost - I think it would be in the Cs best interest if we could re-sign him. Even though he had a tough start with the Cs, I believe he should be a nice player moving forward and seems to be a good fit with the Jays. I guess only time will tell.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 02:29:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
With regards to the the original thread premise, I do think a lot depends on what Hayward decides to do this offseason. If we are able to re-sign him for a fair, affordable deal, then that would be wonderful. However, if he simply picks up his option, then I think we may be forced to deal him. He is slated to make over $34M next season and with us being so close to the luxury tax line, shaving off a few million dollars may make all the difference in what we are able to do in future years. We only need one more year under the tax to completely re-start the clock. I have to imagine this is a factor in what Danny and ownership decide to do.

What NBA 'star' could we bring in using Hayward's contract and picks? I would say there probably aren't a lot of options. Kevin Love would shave about $3M off of next year's salary; Myles Turner would be a nice young piece at a position of need; Vucevic or Gordon from Orlando could make some sense.

Again, I am not desperately trying to move Hayward at any cost - I think it would be in the Cs best interest if we could re-sign him. Even though he had a tough start with the Cs, I believe he should be a nice player moving forward and seems to be a good fit with the Jays. I guess only time will tell.

Ya i think realistically the only thing that makes a lot of sense is if Hayward is the main piece going out. If he opts in he has one more year on his contract and I'd be reluctant to continue to pay him going forward when his foot apparently still hurts. Paying him whatever it takes to keep him likely makes this team very expensive. Maybe you take him and trade him for a really good center +depth, and/or a guy who fits the timeline of our young stars. Its just a little tricky because you don't want to trade him for less than he's worth, but you dont wnat to lose him for nothing after next year either. There's no way to replace that salary.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
@ jambr380, keevsnick

I believe Hayward is our 3rd best player right now. Imo, he had a better season than Brown. Don't want us to trade him for cap relief. It would suck big time.

If we were to make a blockbuster deal (which I believe we won't), I'd rather we trade Kemba. The way I see it, he's a luxury, not a necessity. I mean, we already got Smart. I'd be perfectly happy with Smart as our starting PG.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:40:16 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 05:05:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
@ jambr380, keevsnick

I believe Hayward is our 3rd best player right now. Imo, he had a better season than Brown. Don't want us to trade him for cap relief. It would suck big time.

If we were to make a blockbuster deal (which I believe we won't), I'd rather we trade Kemba. The way I see it, he's a luxury, not a necessity. I mean, we already got Smart. I'd be perfectly happy with Smart as our starting PG.

I'll take Brown over Hayward any day moving forward. I would be willing to move Kemba for Simmons - I already fully backed your position above - but I am not sure that option is going to be on the table (PHI should do everything they can to hold on to Simmons and Embiid and try to figure the rest out).

I am okay with keeping Hayward, but not at the expense of being in the luxury tax next year. Being able to restart the clock on the luxury tax would be enormous in terms of flexibility in the coming years. I feel as though people aren't seeing the long-term effects of this.

The players I brought up are hardly salary dumps (and I doubt the Magic and Pacers would have any interest). I think a player like Aaron Gordon would excel in the Cs line-up as a small-ball center. The problem with Hayward is that he just isn't going to garner much interest as an expiring $34M contract. We do have picks, but they aren't exactly of the juicy variety anymore. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.