Author Topic: Lauri Markkanen  (Read 8870 times)

Re: Lauri Markkanen
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 08:10:04 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think Markannen is more qualified to play center than Isaac. I also think he helps a team's offense more than Collins and is a much better defender than him.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:18:10 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 08:25:26 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I consider Markkanen a center and not a forward.

The center position is where he has the largest matchup advantage. His perimeter game is better contained by the SFs & combo forwards that now occupy the PF position. Markkanen's offensive talent plays to their defensive strengths and does not cause enough advantages there. However, when he is matched up against slower centers who prefer to stay in the paint than venture out onto the perimeter -- that is when Markkanen's offensive talent is at it's utmost.

Markkanen does have some defensive issues at the center position but the added offense that he provides is far greater than the defensive negatives. It is a net advantage for him and his team. That is why he should play center.

I've said it for awhile now -- I believe Markkanen could be a game-changing force at the center position in a similar way that Steph Curry was at the PG position with their respective advantages in outside shooting and overall scoring. That Markkanen can change the center position, how it is commonly defined and viewed in the same vein that Steph Curry changed the PG position and how it is commonly viewed.

Markkanen's shooting is only part of the advantage. The other is his speed and his ability to drive on slower players. This will allow him to completely change the dynamics of the floor / of spacing in a way that guys like Brook Lopez are unable to.

Markkanen has the talent to be one of the best players in the league if he is used properly (as a quick five offensive oriented center). Unfortunately for him, Chicago has continued to put him in disadvantageous positions and thus failed to properly exhibit his talents.

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Markkanen would be an ideal fit for Stevens system. If he can be acquired without giving up any of our core guys its a no-brainer imo. I have no problems moving our picks. We have used enough of our picks the past few years. The picks are also a gamble, Markkanen is a proven NBA starter with potential to be more than that. He would also provide much needed shooting in our lineup.

Why is Markkanen an ideal fit for (specifically) Stevens' system? Just because he can shoot the 3-ball?

Wouldn't that also make him an ideal fit for LA Lakers, LA Clippers, Utah, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Portland, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Miami, Indiana, Brooklyn and many other teams?

I like Markkanen but as far as I've seen, and correct me if I'm wrong, he's just a one way player with no defense.

That's how I see it. On paper there are minutes available at the '4' and getting Markkanen for the right price might not be a bad thing at all. But when I think of a good fit for the Celtics system, I think of a player that is (more than) solid defensively and effective in switches, hustle guy, can shoot the 3-ball, but also a low usage player who preferably is a great defensive rebounder.

Jonathan Isaac, Maxi Kleber, JaMychal Green and Ersan Ilyasova are examples that would check those boxes.

Daniel Theis is considerably closer to that ideal than any of those players. Isaac looks like he may become a really valuable forward, but he's never going to be able to bang with the bigger centers.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Markkanen would be an ideal fit for Stevens system. If he can be acquired without giving up any of our core guys its a no-brainer imo. I have no problems moving our picks. We have used enough of our picks the past few years. The picks are also a gamble, Markkanen is a proven NBA starter with potential to be more than that. He would also provide much needed shooting in our lineup.

Why is Markkanen an ideal fit for (specifically) Stevens' system? Just because he can shoot the 3-ball?

Wouldn't that also make him an ideal fit for LA Lakers, LA Clippers, Utah, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Portland, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Miami, Indiana, Brooklyn and many other teams?

I like Markkanen but as far as I've seen, and correct me if I'm wrong, he's just a one way player with no defense.

That's how I see it. On paper there are minutes available at the '4' and getting Markkanen for the right price might not be a bad thing at all. But when I think of a good fit for the Celtics system, I think of a player that is (more than) solid defensively and effective in switches, hustle guy, can shoot the 3-ball, but also a low usage player who preferably is a great defensive rebounder.

Jonathan Isaac, Maxi Kleber, JaMychal Green and Ersan Ilyasova are examples that would check those boxes.

I would love Isaac for the Celtics.
Don't we all lol :laugh:

There have been a lot of trade proposals about Isaac in previous years (also by me). In hindsight, if a deal like Rozier + Morris + picks would have been possible before his breakthrough then it's a shame it didn't happen.

Yeah, I was all aboard this Terry for Isaac trade going back to May 2018 (and then I really started to push the issue that summer). In hindsight, any Rozier trade would have been a good one in Summer 2018 as the next season was a flop and then we essentially just let him go (we could have figured out Kemba without him). Oh well, I'm sure there are a lot of trades out there GMs had wished they'd made. Luckily we still have a fantastic young core moving forward.

As for Lauri, it would be great to bring him in if he doesn't cost much, but he is also going into a contract year so if he performs well or even decently, then he will command a big payday. And, yes, I would absolutely love to bring in Collins from ATL, but, like Isaac, that ship has also probably sailed.

Yeah, that summer I couldn't stop pushing Rozier + Morris + Sacto 1st + Future 1st for Wendell Carter Jr.

I'd have offered that same package, tho maybe swapped the Sacto pick for 2 future late 1sts, for Isaac. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

I like Markanen but as far as I've seen ,and correct me if I'm wrong, he's just a one way player with no defense.

He is not an elite defender, but I think he is better than he is given credit. I think people's biases get confirmed regarding tall white Euros. He's not a stopper, but I think he is a good team defender with some decent versatility when he is locked in.

He can't be a defensive anchor, if that's what you mean, but it's not like he's really bad.

Honestly, I think he would be a great fit in Stevens system. Problem is that I think people misunderstand what position he plays because of his height. He's a natural small forward that plays up a position. He's not a center. However, he has the feet to play defense on the perimeter and the handle to create his own shot. That sets him apart from other 7 foot wings.

Stevens system would be great because most of the time everyone guards everyone anyway. He could play center in Stevens system, but more ideally he would be the 4 next to Brown and Tatum.

I agree, he actually looks like a pretty solid team defender, has quick feet, and he does try 1:1. 

He's def not a great defender, but imo he's solid, and imo his rep is derived from being a tall white Euro.

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 01:17:40 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

There have been a lot of trade proposals about Isaac in previous years (also by me). In hindsight, if a deal like Rozier + Morris + picks would have been possible before his breakthrough then it's a shame it didn't happen.

Yeah, I was all aboard this Terry for Isaac trade going back to May 2018 (and then I really started to push the issue that summer). In hindsight, any Rozier trade would have been a good one in Summer 2018 as the next season was a flop and then we essentially just let him go (we could have figured out Kemba without him). Oh well, I'm sure there are a lot of trades out there GMs had wished they'd made. Luckily we still have a fantastic young core moving forward.

As for Lauri, it would be great to bring him in if he doesn't cost much, but he is also going into a contract year so if he performs well or even decently, then he will command a big payday. And, yes, I would absolutely love to bring in Collins from ATL, but, like Isaac, that ship has also probably sailed.

Yeah but some of us thought Rozier would have been the future for the Celtics post-Irving, despite my issues with Rozier.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 01:44:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah but some of us thought Rozier would have been the future for the Celtics post-Irving, despite my issues with Rozier.

Did people really think this, though? After that improbably 2018 playoff run - without Irving - it was thought that we were going to take the world by storm the following season. Irving confirmed that he wanted to re-sign with BOS during the pre-season and all was right with the world...until it wasn't. The plan was to build on what we had, even try to add AD, and move forward with Irving.

But even for those unconvinced about Irving's future and even with Rozier's break-out performance, I don't think he was ever considered 'the future' of the Cs. I thought maybe Smart and Jaylen could go out in an AD trade, but Rozier would have still been 5th banana at best (assuming Al also stayed on board with Kyrie, AD, and Tatum) and still might not be starting. His high usage and ability to play both guard spots would have made more sense in the 6th man role.

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 07:31:51 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

The center position is where he has the largest matchup advantage. His perimeter game is better contained by the SFs & combo forwards that now occupy the PF position. Markkanen's offensive talent plays to their defensive strengths and does not cause enough advantages there. However, when he is matched up against slower centers who prefer to stay in the paint than venture out onto the perimeter -- that is when Markkanen's offensive talent is at it's utmost.

Markkanen does have some defensive issues at the center position but the added offense that he provides is far greater than the defensive negatives. It is a net advantage for him and his team. That is why he should play center.

I've said it for awhile now -- I believe Markkanen could be a game-changing force at the center position in a similar way that Steph Curry was at the PG position with their respective advantages in outside shooting and overall scoring. That Markkanen can change the center position, how it is commonly defined and viewed in the same vein that Steph Curry changed the PG position and how it is commonly viewed.

Markkanen's shooting is only part of the advantage. The other is his speed and his ability to drive on slower players. This will allow him to completely change the dynamics of the floor / of spacing in a way that guys like Brook Lopez are unable to.

Markkanen has the talent to be one of the best players in the league if he is used properly (as a quick five offensive oriented center). Unfortunately for him, Chicago has continued to put him in disadvantageous positions and thus failed to properly exhibit his talents.

Brad does like mobile European bigs. He does have a type in that regard (Faverani, Theis, Yabusele, Zizic). But Brad's system asks a lot from bigs at both ends. They have to have a High BBIQ. They need to be vocal on D, be able to QB a defense and call out switches. They have to be comfortable making reads on offense at the top of the circle and then make the right pass. On offense, I think Lauri could get to that point. What I do worry about is his lateral agility to handle defensive rotations, switches, and scram switches. And with Brad there has to be a baseline ability to understand these concepts that he can build upon or else you're just trying to teach a guy from the ground up and we don't have that kind of time. Dragan Bender, another player with a similar profile might be a better choice.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 09:18:32 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Brad does like mobile European bigs. He does have a type in that regard (Faverani, Theis, Yabusele, Zizic). But Brad's system asks a lot from bigs at both ends. They have to have a High BBIQ. They need to be vocal on D, be able to QB a defense and call out switches. They have to be comfortable making reads on offense at the top of the circle and then make the right pass. On offense, I think Lauri could get to that point. What I do worry about is his lateral agility to handle defensive rotations, switches, and scram switches. And with Brad there has to be a baseline ability to understand these concepts that he can build upon or else you're just trying to teach a guy from the ground up and we don't have that kind of time. Dragan Bender, another player with a similar profile might be a better choice.

Come on, it's gotta be time to give up on Bender by now.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 09:30:00 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

Don't misunderstand me here. I'm not saying I love Bender here. That's not the argument in this thread. The argument is whether or not Lauri Markannen can do what's required in CBS' system at both ends. I'm not sure he can. Bender is just a player with a similar profile who I believe better fits the mold. FWIW, I wouldn't be averse to Bender on a minimum deal just to see what he has but I'm not dying on that hill.

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 09:39:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So it looks like Lauri Markkanen is unhappy in Chicago. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/lauri-markkanen-wants-off-bulls-if-they-dont-make-big-changes/

Any chance we could swing a deal for him?  I wouldn't give the Memphis pick because I want a shot at Vernon Carey and if we cant get him I want Isaiah Stewart.  So keeping the 17th pick we still have picks 26 and 30, plus players.

Seems like noise to fill a sports column. The Bulls have a new GM and we should expect a roster shake up. This may or may not involve Markkanen getting traded but I do not suspect the Bulls just move him because he isn't happy.

Its hard to figure a package the Cs could put together that would incite the Bulls. One team that might make sense would be the Hawks. If they do not want to pay Collins maybe they flip him for Markkanen and additional assets.

I kind of agree. Collins is a very close match to a young Karl Malone while Mark is a young Dirk. Depending on the offense you could go either way.
Holy ridiculously over rated player comparisons Batman!

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
So it looks like Lauri Markkanen is unhappy in Chicago. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/lauri-markkanen-wants-off-bulls-if-they-dont-make-big-changes/

Any chance we could swing a deal for him?  I wouldn't give the Memphis pick because I want a shot at Vernon Carey and if we cant get him I want Isaiah Stewart.  So keeping the 17th pick we still have picks 26 and 30, plus players.

Seems like noise to fill a sports column. The Bulls have a new GM and we should expect a roster shake up. This may or may not involve Markkanen getting traded but I do not suspect the Bulls just move him because he isn't happy.

Its hard to figure a package the Cs could put together that would incite the Bulls. One team that might make sense would be the Hawks. If they do not want to pay Collins maybe they flip him for Markkanen and additional assets.

I kind of agree. Collins is a very close match to a young Karl Malone while Mark is a young Dirk. Depending on the offense you could go either way.
Holy ridiculously over rated player comparisons Batman!

I'm not even sure John Collins is a starter in the NBA. He's great at putting up numbers on bad teams, but so were Tony Wroten Jr. and Jahlil Okafor.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 10:19:02 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Don't misunderstand me here. I'm not saying I love Bender here. That's not the argument in this thread. The argument is whether or not Lauri Markannen can do what's required in CBS' system at both ends. I'm not sure he can. Bender is just a player with a similar profile who I believe better fits the mold. FWIW, I wouldn't be averse to Bender on a minimum deal just to see what he has but I'm not dying on that hill.

I think he can be a rich man's Kelly Olynik, a very very rich man's version if developed correctly and played to his strengths.  He's shown in flashes that he has an All Star ceiling if he pans out.

I'd take a risk on that kind of player in his very early 20s.  Bender I don't think is an NBA player atm.

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

I think he can be a rich man's Kelly Olynik, a very very rich man's version if developed correctly and played to his strengths.  He's shown in flashes that he has an All Star ceiling if he pans out.

I'd take a risk on that kind of player in his very early 20s.  Bender I don't think is an NBA player atm.

My concern is that none of his strengths include being able to backstop a defense as a starter. As a backup or change of pace guy, sure. But you can't put him out there at the primary big spot and ask him to call out defensive rotations in Brad's system. There's just no evidence to suggest that he can do that.

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2020, 11:42:05 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I posted a few brief 1-off replies here, because I like LM, but not a coherent take like Who provided.

Overall, I think LM is a 7 footer in his early 20's who, at worst, is an NBA starter with upside, decent defense, and a unique skillset on O that's perfect for the NBA today. His O creates mismatches both LM & his teammates can exploit- mismatches that more than offset his still acceptable D.

He regressed this year in his 3rd year (like Tatum did in his 2nd, worse though because LM is on a dysfunctional team with a bad coach, and he doesn't seem properly utilized). But in his 2nd year at age 21, he averaged 18.7 / 9 / 1.4 / .7 / .6 while shooting the lights out as a big. 

His Feb that season was much like Tatum's coming out party this March. He averaged 26 / 12 / 2.5 and the awful Bulls almost went .500 that month, finishing 5-6. Then he got injured in late March & his season ended, an eerie parallel to Covid ending/disrupting Tatum's coming out party.

He's not a great defender, but he has quick feet to stay active on the perimeter (and to drive at will on O to complement his shot). He tries on D in general, or at least he used to- I can't speak to his level of effort in his current frustrated state, but I've seen the effort before. He's never going to be a rim protector, but he can move out on the perimeter, play ok help D in the paint, & body up down low to the extent that it's needed in today's NBA. IMO, the digs at his defense are overstated.

The kid is still only 22-23 years old and he compares favorably to Kevin Love and Chris Both 2 years in as a shooter, scorer and rebounder. They got a lot better in year 3 and he stagnated, but if he joined a good team that developed him further (again, he's like 22) & featured him and what he does well, I could see him eventually becoming the #3 guy in a Big 3 with a true alpha #1 in place.

Stats comparing the 2nd seasons of LM, KLove & Bosh: http://bkref.com/tiny/QnFKN

I'd absolutely trade the Memphis & Bucks picks, which aren't looking so hot at all at the moment, plus potentially a bit more due to the lukewarm picks, for a 22 y.o potential 'Big 3 Caliber' piece.