Poll

Do you think the Celtics should sign someone for the playoff run?

Yes
2 (66.7%)
No
1 (33.3%)
Depends on who they can get....
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Allen Crabbe anyone?  (Read 9933 times)

Allen Crabbe anyone?
« on: March 01, 2020, 12:46:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Can Allen Crabbe still shoot and do we want to cut anyone to add him. We could use some guys off the bench for the end run. He was a 3-d kind of guy. I haven't really seen him this year, anyone?

Re: Allen Crabbe anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 12:55:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He hasn’t been good the past two seasons.  At his peak, though, he would have been a perfect bench wing.

He probably adds more than Green, but wouldn’t move the needle this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 12:58:29 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
He hasn’t been good the past two seasons.  At his peak, though, he would have been a perfect bench wing.

He probably adds more than Green, but wouldn’t move the needle this season.

Thanks for the take. I remembered him as a 3 and d wing type that was a good shooter but his numbers look really bad this year and was wondering if he had anything left...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I always considered him a 3 and no D player. A tweener wing who wasn't quick enough defend SGs and was too small to defend or rebound against SFs. He put up good scoring and shooting stats for a role player but was a deficient ball-handler, passer, rebounder and defender and because of that he was a net negative for his teams despite his shooting prowess.

I am not that concerned by his bad shooting numbers this season. Shooters don't forget how to shoot. At least it's rare for that happen. He is still young. He is healthy. No major injury that I am aware of. I don't like him as a rotation player because of his limitations outside of spot-up shooting but he is a fine end of bench 13th-15th man option because of his outside shot making. I would happy to have Crabbe on the team instead of Javonte Green. With Romeo Langford back, I don't see much value in Javonte. Langford can do what he does and more. Crabbe at least provides something different (outside shooting) and possibly useful.

Edit: other option is to just go small and play Carsen Edwards at SG/SF. No need for Crabbe then. Hmm ...

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 08:06:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I always considered him a 3 and no D player. A tweener wing who wasn't quick enough defend SGs and was too small to defend or rebound against SFs. He put up good scoring and shooting stats for a role player but was a deficient ball-handler, passer, rebounder and defender and because of that he was a net negative for his teams despite his shooting prowess.

I am not that concerned by his bad shooting numbers this season. Shooters don't forget how to shoot. At least it's rare for that happen. He is still young. He is healthy. No major injury that I am aware of. I don't like him as a rotation player because of his limitations outside of spot-up shooting but he is a fine end of bench 13th-15th man option because of his outside shot making. I would happy to have Crabbe on the team instead of Javonte Green. With Romeo Langford back, I don't see much value in Javonte. Langford can do what he does and more. Crabbe at least provides something different (outside shooting) and possibly useful.

Edit: other option is to just go small and play Carsen Edwards at SG/SF. No need for Crabbe then. Hmm ...

Thanks for your break down. I think we need some shooters that can come in and get some quick buckets and I thought Crabbe would fit the bill. I also thought I remembered him playing some defense but I guess not. We do need some vets that Brad will play. He does seem to have lost faith in the end of the bench...

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:41:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thanks for your break down. I think we need some shooters that can come in and get some quick buckets and I thought Crabbe would fit the bill. I also thought I remembered him playing some defense but I guess not. We do need some vets that Brad will play. He does seem to have lost faith in the end of the bench...

I disagree with Who a bit.  Crabbe’s defense in Portland was above-average, and at times quite good.  When he got to the Nets, he fell off a cliff. My guess is that it had something to do with not being able to handle expectations after receiving a large contract and getting a bigger role.  He alludes to some of that here:

https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/1/2/16840080/allen-crabbe-is-tired-of-yall-questioning-his-defense

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 01:20:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Anthony Tolliver?

"Sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium: Kings and forward Anthony Tolliver are finalizing a contract buyout that allows Tolliver to pursue opportunities with playoff contenders. March 1 is deadline for players to be released and playoff-eligible."

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 02:30:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Anthony Tolliver?

"Sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium: Kings and forward Anthony Tolliver are finalizing a contract buyout that allows Tolliver to pursue opportunities with playoff contenders. March 1 is deadline for players to be released and playoff-eligible."

He’d add more than Poirier, but he wouldn’t get minutes.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Love Crabbe, he's always been a consistent shooter/solid defensive guy.

Problem is his contract, but now that we acquire him for cheap, I'm all for it.
Anthony Tolliver?

He's too slow and he doesn't provide enough to get minutes.

I disagree with Who a bit.  Crabbe’s defense in Portland was above-average, and at times quite good.  When he got to the Nets, he fell off a cliff. My guess is that it had something to do with not being able to handle expectations after receiving a large contract and getting a bigger role.  He alludes to some of that here:

https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/1/2/16840080/allen-crabbe-is-tired-of-yall-questioning-his-defense

That contract he was given was ridiculous. Let's be real for as great of a 3&D kind of guy, was he even worth half of that? Props to him for getting that $$$$, can't knock a player's hustle.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:48:08 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 03:35:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Anthony Tolliver?

Might just want to pick up some vets that Brad will trust to play in a pinch. He doesn't seem to trust the young guys he has now.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 03:53:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anthony Tolliver?

Might just want to pick up some vets that Brad will trust to play in a pinch. He doesn't seem to trust the young guys he has now.
Rookie Grant Williams played 14 minutes and rookie Romeo Langford played 11 minutes. Veteran Kanter did not play. This against one of the top 8 teams in the league.

Not sure your observation of Stevens trusting young guys holds water.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My main issue with Crabbe is his ability to get on the court, but if we’re confident in his health I’d go for it. Solid to good defence, and is a good shooter. Just been in a funk recently.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Anthony Tolliver?

Rookie Grant Williams played 14 minutes and rookie Romeo Langford played 11 minutes. Veteran Kanter did not play. This against one of the top 8 teams in the league.

All the starters were over 40 minutes except Theis at 39. Only Westbrook was over 40 for Houston. Our bench took 4 shots combined in an overtime game and Houston had two players off there bench that played over 20 minutes a piece. I assumed Kanter was still working back from injury.

I think we can all agree we need more from the bench, either internally( guys get better/ start taking and making shots) or from a couple of free agent pick ups. Is Noah totally done?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:42:29 PM by liam »

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 04:47:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
My main issue with Crabbe is his ability to get on the court, but if we’re confident in his health I’d go for it. Solid to good defence, and is a good shooter. Just been in a funk recently.

If Danny and Brad just think we can't contend this year ( They look like can compete to me...) then playing young guys would be more important than bringing in older guys for a playoff push that's not going to happen. See 6ers in Philly....

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anthony Tolliver?

All the starters were over 40 minutes except Theis at 39. Only Westbrook was over 40 for Houston. Our bench took 4 shots combined in an overtime game and Houston had two players off there bench that played over 20 minutes a piece. I assumed Kanter was still working back from injury.

I think we can all agree we need more from the bench.
And if our All-Star, All-NBA guard was healthy, Smart would have been contributing from the bench and everyone's minutes might have been lessen.

Also, let's be correct about Houston's minutes. Both Harden and Westbrook were over 40 minutes and two players had 39 minutes. Both teams had their starters playing big minutes not just one.

While I have said since pre-season that this team would be limited due to lack of experience off the bench, I was wrong. Even with this bench, if healthy, this team can go as far as they want.

Stevens has shown trust in letting 21and 20  year old rookies play important rotational minutes in a game that was as close to a playoff atmosphere as you are going to get in the regular season. The same was true for the Lakers game. Who Stevens didn't trust to play yesterday was veteran Enes Kanter.

Want to complain about the overall quality, overall experience of the bench, okay, I get that. But complaining about Stevens trust in his young guys is just not based in reality.  Grant and Romeo are both 21 and younger and getting rotational minutes in playoff like games. Stevens trusted Tatum and Brown with rotational playoff minutes in 2018 when they were 21 and 19. Stevens played Smart 30 MPG from his rookie year on.

Stevens puts his trust in young players...especially those that prove they can play top notch NBA defense.