Author Topic: NOP Should Go All-in for the 2020-2021 season  (Read 4502 times)

NOP Should Go All-in for the 2020-2021 season
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm not 100% how long Zion will be healthy, but I do think he is ready to help his team win in the playoffs.

There's a possibility that both Bradley Beal and Miles Turner will be available this off-season. I think the Pelicans should try to get both.

First, they offer Brandon Ingram the max in a sign-and-trade for Beal. The Pelicans could include multiple future firsts from the Lakers.

Second, they offer Jaxon Hayes, Josh Hart, firsts, and JJ Reddick to the Pacers for Turner and TJ McConell.

Then, they should offer the full MLE to Moe Harkless to give them size and depth at forward.

Then they should offer Favors a 2 year, 14 million dollar a year contract.

Starting Lineup: Holliday, Beal, Harkless, Zion, Turner
Backups: McConnell, Ball, Melli, Favors, NAW, Okafor, Jackson, Williams, and some veterans.

Depending on Zion's development, that team could be in the mix for a championship.

Re: NOP Should Go All-in for the 2020-2021 season
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You can't go all in until you see how Zion develops and learn how to best maximize his talent.

FWIW I don't think Beal/Holiday is enough perimeter creation to win. I'm also skeptical about that team defensively.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »

• Paul Silas
You can't go all in until you see how Zion develops and learn how to best maximize his talent.

FWIW I don't think Beal/Holiday is enough perimeter creation to win. I'm also skeptical about that team defensively.

Interesting. You don't think Holliday and Turner are enough of cornerstones to establish a high level defensive team? Both are all-NBA defensive players?

I've argued this before with Embiid. You have no idea how many years you will get with Zion, and he already has established the places and ways he scores with the Pelicans. Put shooting in the front court with him and he should become a pretty dominate player in a spread offense.

Zion's best season might be his second or third in the NBA, similar to Derrick Rose. You can't wait with a player that is so violently athletic, especially one of his weight.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Interesting. You don't think Holliday and Turner are enough of cornerstones to establish a high level defensive team? Both are all-NBA defensive players?

I've argued this before with Embiid. You have no idea how many years you will get with Zion, and he already has established the places and ways he scores with the Pelicans. Put shooting in the front court with him and he should become a pretty dominate player in a spread offense.

Zion's best season might be his second or third in the NBA, similar to Derrick Rose. You can't wait with a player that is so violently athletic, especially one of his weight.

I actually love that idea.

Zion is a freak of nature, and he's already adjusting his game. He's been working on his shots, practicing dribbling and passing drills, and conditioning based on The Bird Writes and Pelicans blog Bourbon street shots. So I tend to think Zion has MVP caliber type of potential, you want to help accelerate that process. Surround him next to a big that can space and defend, and perimeter 3 & D type of guys, and you got a nice recipe for success.

His numbers right now are ridiculous in such a short sample size, but the promise is very enticing.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not 100% how long Zion will be healthy, but I do think he is ready to help his team win in the playoffs.

There's a possibility that both Bradley Beal and Miles Turner will be available this off-season. I think the Pelicans should try to get both.

First, they offer Brandon Ingram the max in a sign-and-trade for Beal. The Pelicans could include multiple future firsts from the Lakers.

Second, they offer Jaxon Hayes, Josh Hart, firsts, and JJ Reddick to the Pacers for Turner and TJ McConell.

Then, they should offer the full MLE to Moe Harkless to give them size and depth at forward.

Backups: McConnell, Ball, Melli, Favors, NAW, Okafor, Jackson, Williams, and some veterans.

Depending on Zion's development, that team could be in the mix for a championship.
great deals for NO, not so much for Wash or Indy.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 03:52:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Beal trade I understand, and think it makes a lot of sense for both teams. You lose me on Miles Turner. NO giving up way too much. His production has dropped off a lot this season.  Plus not sure of his fit with Favors and Zion in the lineup.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 03:53:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

No one on the team to guard bigger players on the perimeter. That's a massive problem.

I also think Turner is somewhat overrated defensively. He's a good defensive player, not an elite one.

Look if Zion breaks down you're screwed, that's definitely true. But you're also screwed if you commit all your resources to a team build that doesn't fit his talents. Don't plan to be screwed.

Edit: Zion isn't that great on the defensive glass, I'd worry about Turner + Him giving up way to many offensive rebounds to build a great defense. Obviously Zion is a special rebounder on the other end but he's disappointed me on the other end.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Oh also Zion isn't going to be part of a high level defensive team for a few years. He's got a good motor but he's pretty clueless defensively and that will take some time.

Don't rush let Zion develop and see what sort of talent you need to pair him with.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Won't be enough to stop the Lakers or clippers in the west

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Is Beal supposed to be an upgrade to Ingram? I am not sure that is true.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »

• Paul Silas

You might be able to tell that I'm not an Ingram fan.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 07:04:02 PM »

• Paul Silas

No one on the team to guard bigger players on the perimeter. That's a massive problem.

I also think Turner is somewhat overrated defensively. He's a good defensive player, not an elite one.

Look if Zion breaks down you're screwed, that's definitely true. But you're also screwed if you commit all your resources to a team build that doesn't fit his talents. Don't plan to be screwed.

Edit: Zion isn't that great on the defensive glass, I'd worry about Turner + Him giving up way to many offensive rebounds to build a great defense. Obviously Zion is a special rebounder on the other end but he's disappointed me on the other end.

Holliday has routinely been that guy for the Pelicans for years. He guards up all the time, and he does it quite well.

But that was also part of the Moe Harkless signing. I agree that is a weakness of this roster even with the Harkless signing.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

You might be able to tell that I'm not an Ingram fan.

Me neither.

I like Ingram, but his slender frame tells me he'll probably never be as a good of a defender for his stature like KD. That being said, Ingram certainly fits their time line way better than Beal, and Beal's already getting paid a lot of money.   

Holiday has been one of the most underrated guards. Like I know people think he's not that good, but he's one of the best perimeter defenders and solid offensively. He's a good team leader, and has given Zion, Ingram and Ball lots of advice.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »

• Paul Silas

great deals for NO, not so much for Wash or Indy.

It's funny that one comments said the Pelicans gave too much for Turner, and another comment thought they gave not enough. That might mean I have the value there just right.

I think Washington is unlikely to get a better young piece than Ingram in a trade for Beal. Once you have that part set, they also have a lot of future picks that could be included.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 07:14:13 PM »

• Paul Silas
Won't be enough to stop the Lakers or clippers in the west

Maybe. I'm not impressed with the Clippers at all. I think that NOP team could beat them.

The Lakers will also be a year older. Zion was a problem for Anthony Davis when they played the other day.