Author Topic: Bucks (12-9) at Celtics (20-4) Game #25 12/4/17  (Read 31539 times)

Re: Bucks (12-9) at Celtics (20-4) Game #25 12/4/17
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2017, 08:11:38 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Kyrie Irving +0, lowest of all that played except D. Theis with -1. He shot 13-24 and had 1 assist. The next most shot attempts by a Celtic was Horford, 8-10 with 8 assists. Marcus Smart had 7 assists.   

Against the best teams, this type of shoot first "point guard" play will lead to a loss.

An absolutely ridiculous take.

The Celtics bounce around anywhere from 6th-10th on assists per 100 possessions which is more than fine considering our roster and how we play.

Kyrie Irving's only shot below 50% from the field ONCE in his last 9 games. Overall, 96-for-166 (57.8%) and 23-of-45 from 3 (51.1%). 28.9 PPG.

He doesn't have to move the ball to someone else if he is scoring it at that efficiency and volume. In fact, considering the absolute crapload of open looks he's creating for Tatum and Horford by just drawing the defense, I think the best thing for us to keep winning at this clip is to keep doing exactly what he's doing.

He started off playing super heavy effort wise on defense and deferring more to his teammates on offense and he got massacred on here for not scoring enough, and now he's being criticized for not being a proper traditional "point guard". All the while both these criticisms are happening when we're winning games at a .840 clip.

My goodness.

I won't even get into the box score watching plus minus quoting disaster.

The Celtics aren't 21-4 with him putting up 24 shots a game, having 1 assist per game, and being +0. His FGA/GM average this season is 17.8 and AST/GM average is 5.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:16:45 AM by alley oop »

« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Kyrie Irving +0, lowest of all that played except D. Theis with -1. He shot 13-24 and had 1 assist. The next most shot attempts by a Celtic was Horford, 8-10 with 8 assists. Marcus Smart had 7 assists.   

Against the best teams, this type of shoot first "point guard" play will lead to a loss.

The Celtics bounce around anywhere from 6th-10th on assists per 100 possessions which is more than fine considering our roster and how we play.

Kyrie Irving's only shot below 50% from the field ONCE in his last 9 games. Overall, 96-for-166 (57.8%) and 23-of-45 from 3 (51.1%). 28.9 PPG.

He doesn't have to move the ball to someone else if he is scoring it at that efficiency and volume. In fact, considering the absolute crapload of open looks he's creating for Tatum and Horford by just drawing the defense, I think the best thing for us to keep winning at this clip is to keep doing exactly what he's doing.

He started off playing super heavy effort wise on defense and deferring more to his teammates on offense and he got massacred on here for not scoring enough, and now he's being criticized for not being a proper traditional "point guard". All the while both these criticisms are happening when we're winning games at a .840 clip.

My goodness.

The Celtics aren't 21-4 with him putting up 24 shots a game, having 1 assist per game, and being +0. His FGA/GM average this season is 17.8 and AST/GM average is 5.

No, they're 1-0. Undefeated with those statistics.

Look, I've been as critical of Kyrie as anyone but this is ridiculous. And in case you haven't noticed, the last 3 NBA Champions have been largely driven from shoot-first PGs. That's the NBA today.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:21 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

My goodness.

Look, I've been as critical of Kyrie as anyone but this is ridiculous. And in case you haven't noticed, the last 3 NBA Champions have been largely driven from shoot-first PGs. That's the NBA today.
Kyrie is great but I would like to see more ball movement and more players involved . Specially when you have guys efficient as Al and Tatum were last night.

« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

My goodness.

Maybe you would have preferred he got fouled on 6 of those made FGAs and went to the line instead. He would have had to drain all 12 of those FTs and his FG% would have suffered, but at least he would have been at that all-important 18 FGA you cite.

Another take might be that the offense runs through Al Horford and that hurts Kyrie's assist #s. Brad was also making a concerted effort to have Smart as the lead ball-handler when he and Kyrie were in the game (seriously, who wants Smart off the ball?). 1 assist is probably not enough for your starting PG, but it's not like it's been the norm and it's not like we didn't get a comfortable win.

« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
great game.  Greek Freak gets away with a lot but he's a genuine stud.  if he develops his outside shot, he'll be unstoppable.  hope Cleveland and Milwaukee have to match up in the playoffs before we have to see either of them -- will enjoy them beating on each other for a series.

It will be a one-sided beatdown in favor of the Cavs. Bucks have no one to stop Cavs perimeter shooting. They key on beating Lebron is exploiting his teammates on both ends.
not as one-sided as you may want to believe.  Milwaukee's got plenty of scorers to make Cleveland work on defense and they have the size to bother Cleveland on D and on the boards.   

it'd be a series where the team with the hottest shooters wins IMO. 

« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:34 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

My goodness.

Kyrie is great but I would like to see more ball movement and more players involved . Specially when you have guys efficient as Al and Tatum were last night.

Brad said after the game that the ball movement was some of the best they'd had all year.  What more are you looking for?

« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
one of the youngest rosters in the league

a team built for the future

that is ready to win now

C us rise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

« Reply #323 on: December 05, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

lol Are you really using this one game example of Kyrie's "shoot first" style of play?  I'm assuming you are trolling.  It's blatantly obvious that Kyrie has put forth a full effort to play within Brad's system.  Even last night he did an excellent job of hitting the open man when the Bucks tried to trap him early in the game.  The reason his individual assist numbers didn't pile up is because our points were coming off of a 3rd or 4th pass.  FYI, the Celtics are 6th in assists per field goal made.  This number will only improve as the team chemistry grows throughout the season.  I would define Kyrie's style as "give the game what it needs".

Exactly. The bucks basically blitzed Kyrie and tried to trap him all game. He then made the pass to horford who had  a 4 on 3 to make the right decision. The big man gladly obliged. Honestly all the odd man situations made our offense look the best it has all year. Kyrie made the right play time after time.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #324 on: December 05, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Gi-Ant is a great player but I see him as at the IT 2016-2017 level.  Numbers yes but still lacking that intangible to take a team over the top.  He may still get there, but he is not there yet.  For example, who would you rather have, Gi-Ant or Anthony Davis?  Both are great players but could either be the best player on a top team?  Not so far.  Gi-Ant is getting over-hyped based on stats and flashy dunks which is too bad as he is good.

As for Kyrie, I think he had a good game and has continued his high level play.  His 1 assist and 21 shots doesn't seem reflective of his play.  He was moving the ball and creating opportunities for others but the ball moved two or three passes, not just one so he didn't record assists.  I am equally unconcerned about the the 21 shots.  It seemed to be what was needed this game.  I don't fear he will make a habit of this.

« Reply #325 on: December 08, 2017, 10:42:37 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

one of the youngest rosters in the league

a team built for the future

that is ready to win now

C us rise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
Modify message
LET'S GO CELTICS!