Author Topic: turner was more important than people think  (Read 2012 times)

Re: turner was more important than people think
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Throw all the stats at it u want - we will miss Turner big time.  Ever since he came here he's been criticized.  Eric Turner meant a lot to this team.  No, I do not think we should have paid him $70M and that's a different topic.

The C's got worse yesterday.  I know FA is not over and something big may happen and we all may be happy today, tomorrow or Monday.  But yesterday, that 48 win team....just became a 40 win team.

Words can't express how much the team will miss Eric Turner.
Hahahaha!

lol you cant pay for this type of comedy. HAHAHAHA

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
We can't lose either way. If fireworks take place, we immediately become championship contenders. If Danny doesn't hit a tater or two in free agency, he can fudge out band-aids for the center position. Eventually Zizac will be on the team. Maybe not this year. I see us winning 50+ games no matter what. Sometimes the best moves are no moves. Resigning Eric Turner at big money was not an option.

Getting zero free agents and losing Turner you see us winning 50+ games when other teams have improved significantly? Are you serious? I mean Brad is good but he can't play.

There is nothing that Turner did that can't be absorbed by the team.. He is a 10 point a night Scores not a 25 point a night Scorer..  The Young guys WILL get better.. All of them, the same way Turner got better his second year playing with us..

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
We can't lose either way. If fireworks take place, we immediately become championship contenders. If Danny doesn't hit a tater or two in free agency, he can fudge out band-aids for the center position. Eventually Zizac will be on the team. Maybe not this year. I see us winning 50+ games no matter what. Sometimes the best moves are no moves. Resigning Eric Turner at big money was not an option.

Getting zero free agents and losing Turner you see us winning 50+ games when other teams have improved significantly? Are you serious? I mean Brad is good but he can't play.

Amir Johnson was injured most of the season. When his plantar fasciitis healed, he was one of our best players. I expect him back.

Teams get better when they are allowed to stay together. Isaiah can only get better in that respect. Crowder emerged last year. I think Olynyk and Smart can do that this year. Acquiring free agents is not the only way to give a team a kick in the butt. Players already on the team will emerge just like Avery Bradley did.

Let's see how this plays out. If we get Horford (and cue up Dr. Evil mentioning Durant), no one is going to be talking about Evan Turner. Jaylen Brown is going to be good. Rozier or Smart will get it done for backup pg. I don't see where losing Evan Turner changes much.

There are too many negative people on this board. For the record, I predicted 41 wins for two years ago and 48 last year. Sure, that was then and this is now and I say currently constructed without bad luck with injuries, we have ourselves a 50 win team as is.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Turner was arguably our 3rd best player.  Losing him hurts.  But here's hoping someone steps up or we sign someone.

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 05:46:04 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Turner was good, but his plus-minus says he wasn't great. Olynyk was also a backup, so why did he have a much better stat than him?

I think people are being nostalgic more than anything. Turner has been here for a number of years and improved and was fan-friendly. But how is Evan Turner that good? Now maybe he did improve on his three point shooting. He went to more of a let it rip naturally than overthink it and those numbers did improve.

He was Brandon Bass money at the mid-range shot, hit his free throws.

Yes, we will miss him. He even seemed to stop turning the ball over as much. We will improve in a way like a lot of teams have when a ball hog is let go. The team will feel a bit liberated without Evan Turner.

Watch out for Marcus Smart. He is a mini-KG. Our whole team is like a five-headed Kevin Garnett. For this reason I will not miss Turner. Defense was not his strength or nothing he did on defense was anything special. I'm not saying Turner was Kevin Love level for defense.

Every once in a while, Zeller would wake up on defense, but he has left me underwhelmed.

Evan Turner is treadmill at best for point guard and he's above average not great for offense.

I don't like ball hogs. Okay, he wasn't a Harden like ball hog. I give him that.  Anyway, $18 million could not be spent on Evan Turner and Portland looks incompetent. People claimed Danny outbid himself for Avery Bradley. I don't understand what teams like the Lakers and Trailblazers think they are doing.

I truly believe fireworks has already happened and Danny is just playing it out like a zen master. I predict Celtics' title #18 within three years. I can't guarantee who will be on the roster, but I also envision at least a ten year run.

Danny is playing basketball chess while we waste all day on speculation.

I think Danny wants to go after Red Auerbach's record and his goal is to win for two straight decades or at least one. Maybe he is shooting for seven titles to pass Michael Jordan. What the Celtics did in the 60's was amazing. I wish I had experienced that. I am more of a Larry Bird Era fan since then.

Our team and its future is on a trajectory for greatness. Now is not the time to be negative. That will turn you into a pink hat fan. We won 48 games. Evan Turner will only be missed if our pg's get injured. Rondo and Perk were two-fifths of the last title year. They were just kids. Turner is easily replaced and Portland looks like morons.