Author Topic: So whats next, What would make you happy  (Read 10222 times)

Re: So whats next, What would make you happy
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Frankly not much.  Cousins was the guy I wanted all along and for him to go that inexpensively it is really unacceptable he isn't in Boston.  Ainge should be on the hot seat for this one.

Yeah, Ainge has built up a ton of good will, but we could have added a young, non-expiring All-NBA center for relative peanuts.

I predict we'll look back at this as a missed opportunity to become contenders. We could have added Boogie, kept our core, and still drafted Fultz.

You do not know that. Pelicans got from NO what they had. There is no evidence that Kings would not have asked for more from Boston.
I guess this is one of those perception is reality things, the kings shouldn't let ego get in the way of getting the best deal they can, just because a team has really good assets doesn't mean you need to get their best asset to beat the offer on the table.

They did this with the lakers though said they wouldn't do a deal without Ingram, lakers could have easily beat that deal without Ingram but kings needed Ingram so no deal.

I guess they just think they couldn't sell it to their fan base not getting the best assets from the franchise you can, but that offer could have been beat by so many teams without giving up the best assets

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Happy?

Jimmy Butler or Paul George without giving up Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown or the Nets '17 pick.

Dont anticipate that happening but it would make me really happy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the best case scenario at this point would be trading for Paul George; second best would be Jimmy Butler.

Third best I suppose would be signing Hayward or Griffin.

If Butler stays put in Chicago or is traded elsewere, George re-ups in Indy, and both Hayward and Griffin sign contracts with other teams this summer, the Celts will basically be locked into a youth movement, as far as I can tell.

That's not so bad, when you have Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, a top 4 pick in this draft, another top 10 pick next year, and a flotilla of young role players all on the roster now or in the pipeline.

Still, I think the odds are that none of those guys becomes the type of talent that vaults a team to title contention. 

Bottom line for me is, you can't take for granted opportunities to acquire an established superstar talent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
stay the course!

just draft players

wait out the warriors and cavs

i love danny's patience, personally

sorry Bo  ;)

(jk, love ya, man)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think the best case scenario at this point would be trading for Paul George; second best would be Jimmy Butler.

If Butler stays put in Chicago or is traded elsewere, George re-ups in Indy, and both Hayward and Griffin sign contracts with other teams this summer, the Celts will basically be locked into a youth movement, as far as I can tell.

That's not so bad, when you have Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, a top 4 pick in this draft, another top 10 pick next year, and a flotilla of young role players all on the roster now or in the pipeline.

Still, I think the odds are that none of those guys becomes the type of talent that vaults a team to title contention. 

Bottom line for me is, you can't take for granted opportunities to acquire an established superstar talent.

Why is Hayward third best scenario? At this point, this season he is better player than Butler and George. 

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21

Why is Hayward third best scenario? At this point, this season he is better player than Butler and George.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »

Offline The Bones

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Get a big.  Any big.  Need rebounds!

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Jimmy Butler has been better this year. So has George.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm happy with no deals, watching Jaylen develop into an all star. Drafting Josh Jackson, watching him develop into a star (want nothing to do with Fultz, another stats loser like Cousins), draft a young center with our 2018 nets pick (we should get a good one), bring Zizic and Yabu in and transition to become the best team in the NBA in 2020.

That's what I would do.

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If we can sign Haywood or Griffin, sure, but would want to be able to get decent trade value for Crowder in that case.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If we can sign Haywood or Griffin, sure, but would want to be able to get decent trade value for Crowder in that case.

I'd rather keep Crowder and trade Bradley, that extra two years at a lower salary could be huge.  I don't see us resigning IT, AB, and Smart in 2018 (except if we're legit contenders by then with all 3 playing big roles), but I think resigning IT and Smart is a no brainer with Crowder getting paid $7 million for another couple of seasons

Plus he can bring back an extra $2.5 million of salary in a trade, which could be important
I'm bitter.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm happy with no deals, watching Jaylen develop into an all star. Drafting Josh Jackson, watching him develop into a star (want nothing to do with Fultz, another stats loser like Cousins), draft a young center with our 2018 nets pick (we should get a good one), bring Zizic and Yabu in and transition to become the best team in the NBA in 2020.

That's what I would do.

I'd be happy with this.  Although if we could get butler without giving up brown the picks smart or IT ID BE THRILLED

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Out of all the potential additions I really only wanted Boogie,  but I understand taking a pass.

To me there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying the course.  There are still probably at least three years of LeBron and the Warriors dominating.  Let's gain experience,  maybe get lucky,  and be in a position to dominate after they peter out.

Danny has earned my trust by smartly taking Brown over Dunn plus passing on any of the other ideas that the morons like myself on here have had. 

Draft an exciting guard this year and draft an exciting big the following year.   One of them or another pick the next three years needs to be a HOF level stud.   Let AB go.  Try to keep Kelly and obviously jettison Amir and Zeller.   Bring over Zizic to get boards.   Sign a FA,  preferably Hayward who would make a great #2 option.

By the time the team is ready to contend you will have 2 young drafted studs,  Hayward as your 2nd scorer but 4th or 5th best player at his prime waning,  Smart and Brown entering their primes,  IT as a Crawford type aging bench guy,  Zizic as your boards guy,  and depth from the other picks going forward plus whoever is left from KO,  Rozier,  Yab,  etc.

If the two Nets picks become one starter and one HOF level player this team can win multiple titles.   We need that level stud,  and it generally needs to come from the draft.    Butler isn't that and Boogie has the talent to be but is a locker room cancer.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Frankly not much.  Cousins was the guy I wanted all along and for him to go that inexpensively it is really unacceptable he isn't in Boston.  Ainge should be on the hot seat for this one.

Yeah, Ainge has built up a ton of good will, but we could have added a young, non-expiring All-NBA center for relative peanuts.

I predict we'll look back at this as a missed opportunity to become contenders. We could have added Boogie, kept our core, and still drafted Fultz.

You do not know that. Pelicans got from NO what they had. There is no evidence that Kings would not have asked for more from Boston.

BOS could've offered more than NO without giving up the farm.

To answer the OP: I still want a dynamic big man, but I think there are none available now.
Kevin OConnnor reported that the Kings had "objectively" better packages that they turned down due to an obsession with Buddy Hield.

All in all, it was very Kings.

Yikes. This situation has "Nik Stauskas redux" written all over it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
My guess is Ainge is holding on to the Nets 2017 1st in Butler talks because he wants to use it in a follow up deal for a big man to pair with Butler.