Author Topic: Stop Comparing Brad to Bill  (Read 731 times)

Stop Comparing Brad to Bill
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Sure Bill takes on difficult players and tries to coach them. But I'm not sure why people are getting on Brad's case about not wanting Cousins on the team. Basketball is a different than football. Contracts are set up differently- so Bill takes a flyer on a player who he knows if it doesn't work out he can cut him pretty easily or its short term. Basketball- you're stuck especially a player with a big contract.

Also dealing with one player in football whose a malcontent- doesn't affect the entire team as easily as it would in basketball. Chemistry and attitude are huge.

If Danny and Brad don't want Cousins, then I'm on board.

Re: Stop Comparing Brad to Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Agree.

It's extremely tough to compare coaches across sports.  You're also talking about one sport with a hard cap with very liquid contract situations where the coach is also GM vs. a sport where someone else is running player personnel and the league abides by a soft cap with guaranteed contracts.

It's also much easier to deal with/toss a malcontent on a  football roster than with much smaller NBA rosters.  That makes it easier to take gambles in the NFL than with the NBA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Stop Comparing Brad to Bill
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
The fans who feel they must make non-stop input on who to trade, draft and sign in free agency are merely feeding into a fictitious frenzy.

Brad Stevens didn't want Demarcus Cousins?

This idea apparently first emerged in November through Zach Lowe.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/11/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_es.html

I don't think Brad Stevens wants to touch DeMarcus Cousins with a 10-foot pole. And that carries a lot of weight there. Not only that, they just signed a center. And they think Al Horford is a center, and will play more center as pieces come and go in Boston. And so I don't know what that does to Boston's hunger to acquire a superstar big man who is going to be a locker room question mark.

Zach Lowe is one of the more credible basketball writers, but even he responded to the topic as an opinion.

I don't think Brad Stevens wants to touch DeMarcus Cousins with a 10-foot pole.

And now people are comparing Stevens to Belichick in a negative light because of Randy Moss and some other examples.

It's apples and oranges as some have articulated.

Too many are trying to crush square pegs into circles.

They are going way overboard with emotions.

Their comments display excessive greed, immaturity and a lack of awareness for reality.

You can't just snap your fingers and swap out a pu pu platter for a top ten player like was done to acquire Garnett.

And Cousins is no KG. He is clearly mentally ill. He would destroy the team's chemistry.

Anyway, I see no proof Stevens prevented a trade for Cousins. It was just Zach Lowe with an opinion that the Boogie fans decided to run with and now we are talking football.

You know what I'm thinking about? It's called Friday night at Toronto.

I think Danny will make a small trade for a big or sign a free agent like was done with PJ Brown. I doubt anything happens in regards to the mindless chatter recently flooding this blog.

Yes, Thursday cannot come soon enough, and yes, this is the worst part of the year for both fans and players. But some people love it. They can go on and on about things that boil down to imagination and tribal emotions.

The fans who basically hate our team or disrespect it are unfortunately the loudest.