Author Topic: First Round Game 3: Boston Celtics @ Atlanta Hawks, 4/26/08 (8:00pm, ESPN / CSN)  (Read 78272 times)

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
I have 4 problems with Doc here, i know we couldn't make anything or even play defense, but:
1.) Where the hell is Pierce early in the fourth. you're down by about 10 points and Doc is letting Pierce ride the pine for about 6
2.) Why is Perk not in their at all in the 4th quarter, he sat the entire quarter. He gave us a physical presence with some offense (2-4 FG) and got to the line for 6/6 free throws. The Hawks has 12 offensive boards in the game.
3.) Why is Powe on the bench, 6 minutes give me a break, he has shown time after time this year he can come in and catch and throw down dishes from Paul in the lane as well as clean up with some offense on the boards. He gives instant garbage offense, toughness, rebounding, defense, taking the charge. Big Baby played with energy and got some boards, but he doesn't give you the offense that Powe can and he always gets the fouls, no matter where he is on the floor.
4.) This one we all know about, why in the world is Sam I am "not" still in the game. He was just absolutely awful. The offense is just **** poor with him in their, especially with KG, Ray, and Pierce in the 4th, where he still pulls up to take contested jumpers as well as make a huge turnover on the pick and roll with KG after the great Posey defensive play. Eddie was played PG for 66 wins and he helped us win, even those key games vs. Pistons, Spurs, Mavs, etc.

I severely question Doc's coaching and substitution when it comes to a game 7 vs. Detroit or someone else.

I'd say thats the one weakness in Docs coaching ability that hasn't improved this year or been covered up by the rest of the team/coaches. I really worry about his substitution patterns

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline bigtyc55

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 5
http://espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/060616/g_salvatore.jpg

Pictured: Bennett Salvatore and Avery Johnson
Now, I frown upon all moves that Avery has ever made in his coaching career, but now, I know how he feels when Bennett Salvatore referees a game. What a shame.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
While I agree there were some questionable personal decisions.  (not playing more Rondo, Powe and Perkins)

The lack of defense made this game close.  The lack of attacking on offense put Atlanta ahead.

And the lack of leadership shown by the coaches, the three, Cassell and Brown.  That destroyed the team.

Celtics all season have come out in the third juiced up.  They put teams like Atlanta away then. 

The delay took that away.  But nobody got the team together and either kept them up or got them up again.  They were just sitting around laughing. 

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
While I agree there were some questionable personal decisions.  (not playing more Rondo, Powe and Perkins)

The lack of defense made this game close.  The lack of attacking on offense put Atlanta ahead.

And the lack of leadership shown by the coaches, the three, Cassell and Brown.  That destroyed the team.

Celtics all season have come out in the third juiced up.  They put teams like Atlanta away then. 

The delay took that away.  But nobody got the team together and either kept them up or got them up again.  They were just sitting around laughing.

Quality point. 
Yup

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
blamin doc jus like last year...lol....doc didnt make paul and kevin miss those layups.....doc didnt make sammy shoot those sorry 3's....it would be a perfect day when we can blame playas instead of the coach....our big 3 had mucho minutes on the floor....they could not produce....dont blame doc...refs are not to blame...we played pitiful ball....i guess thats what we get for talkin bout detroit....

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Pierce looked chilled out on the bench, arms spread out, relaxed, heck he looked like he was falling asleep. That was a pretty funny camera shot showing him over there.

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
blamin doc jus like last year...lol....doc didnt make paul and kevin miss those layups.....doc didnt make sammy shoot those sorry 3's....it would be a perfect day when we can blame playas instead of the coach....our big 3 had mucho minutes on the floor....they could not produce....dont blame doc...refs are not to blame...we played pitiful ball....i guess thats what we get for talkin bout detroit....

I agree somewhat. Doc left Sam in the game shot after awful shot. Even the Cheryl Miller (Who I actually appreciate in the broadcast booth) was saying that Sam needed to be taken out. After the third pull up with no one under the boards, Doc should have taken Sam out. There was no excuse for that. Sam killed us in the fourth.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow, huge surprise!!!

First playoff lost and suddenly the "This is why I've been saying Doc is a problem" guys come flying out of the closet.

The Hawks played exceptional and the Celtics PLAYERS did not come to play.

End of story.

Also Powe laid a gooseegg with only a PF on the box score in half of a quarter. How much more did people want him to play? Tonight Baby was the better choice off the bench. And as for the "Where's Eddie?" stuff, it's simple. Doc cut down his rotation and Eddie and T Allen were the odd guys out. Probably will be for the rest of the offseason. So can we please stop with the "Where's Eddie?" stuff. Doc made his decision for better or worse. Only time will tell whether it's a good choice or not.

If it was a bad decision, fire his ass! I'll be the first one to blame him for losses if it's his decisions that cost the team the championship.

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Doc didn't cost us this game, we would have lost even if he had coached perfectly, he has done an excellent job this season. That being said, his weaknesses are my biggest concerns for this team.

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I agree somewhat. Doc left Sam in the game shot after awful shot. Even the Cheryl Miller (Who I actually appreciate in the broadcast booth) was saying that Sam needed to be taken out. After the third pull up with no one under the boards, Doc should have taken Sam out. There was no excuse for that. Sam killed us in the fourth.

Hate to say it, (cuz I love the guy), but Ray put up as many, (if not more), horrendous shots in the fourth as Sam did. When this team wins, it's as a team ... when they lose, it's as a team, and you can't peg this one on any one single person ... refs and Doc included.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Hate to say it, (cuz I love the guy), but Ray put up as many, (if not more), horrendous shots in the fourth as Sam did. When this team wins, it's as a team ... when they lose, it's as a team, and you can't peg this one on any one single person ... refs and Doc included.

True true Bahku.  I actually started getting a little sleepy eyed in the 4th and thought one of Ray's wild ones was Sam. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:05:57 AM by Redz »
Yup

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

thats just not right........how can u do that to jar jar ;D

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Before and After picture.

Left side: before
Right side: after
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6