Author Topic: What if Rondo completely reestablishes his value?  (Read 10550 times)

Re: What if Rondo completely reestablishes his value?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
That's correct. I took mime's post, specifically 'Ainge Will Negotiate with Rondo to make a deal before the trade deadline' to mean it would be an S&T (or, more specifically, an extend and trade).

Would the Knicks trade for Rondo with no guarantee of an extension, though? Especially since they're so devoid of assets right now that they're really boned if he walks?

Gotcha. No, I think they would need some assurance if they were to trade assets for him.

They could get a wink-wink assurance through back channels. Love is not signing an extension yet, is he?

But yeah apparantly I was wrong in assuming S+T was a realistic option. If that's truly what Rondo would get in a S+T then it's better if he goes there as a FA. He could also do a one-year deal and take advantage of the cap bonanza that's expected in 2016. At that time he'd be 30 so he could still realistically command a nice 5-year deal, provided he plays up to snuff.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If a trade does happen, I would assume there is a wink-wink deal (like with Love and Cle).