Author Topic: If available, why not just go after Kawhi instead of Lebron?  (Read 2784 times)

Re: If available, why not just go after Kawhi instead of Lebron?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 11:40:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Not That I would want to do it, but it would be kinda funny to trade Irving for Lebron....

Extremely cold-blooded, too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 01:18:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not That I would want to do it, but it would be kinda funny to trade Irving for Lebron....

Ainge is a pretty bold and cold GM but I don't LBJ is what he considers Celtic Material.   We talk a lot about NBA players being mercs and moving all over but fan loyalty is getting just as bad.   

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 02:31:35 AM »

Offline mutineer33

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Obviously Lebron is the best player in the league right now, hands down. But a healthy Kawhi Leonard is definitely Top-5 in the league and somewhere in the 3-4 range (depending on how you rank them in order between Kawhi and Davis).

People talk about the possibility of bringing in Lebron, but it's just complicated because we have no cap space and he's obviously not playing for MLE. Also, acquiring Lebron likely means a current max-player leaves and possibly a few more young players (and picks).

Meanwhile, Kawhi is scheduled to make 20M next year and while it would still take some players to help match salaries, it definitely wouldn't be as complicated is it would for Lebron, and likely wouldn't require trading away a current max player for him.

Kawhi is also the best "Lebron stopper" in the world and is proven in the playoffs too. Ainge knows superstars win in this league, and hypothetically adding Kawhi would mean we have a superstar and possibly two to three more emerging ones (Kyrie, Brown and/or Tatum - depending on exactly what the Kawhi trade is). It would also be a strategic move to keep him out of PHI/LAL, but also would sort of mitigate the effect of Lebron going to Philly (if we bring in Kawhi and bring back healthy Kyrie + Hayward).

Again, I said "if available", as I expect Kawhi and the Spurs sort it out and he stays put, but I just think if Kawhi does become available, Ainge will pounce or at least make an offer of sorts for him. Of course, we have to also assume his health checks out going forward.

Kawhi is not Lebron (no one is), but he's Top-5 in the league and if we're talking about adding another versatile, lengthy wing player, then it's probably wiser to go after Kawhi. It wouldn't mess up the current core as much as a Lebron sign and trade would, and adding Kawhi for sure should make us favorites to win it all next year (or 2nd best odds but right there with Golden State). Along with Kyrie, the Kawhi presents a huge mismatch problem for Golden State if we're talking a Finals appearance.

Screw Kawhi. He quit on his team. Literally refused to play. Took his paycheck and sat back, while medically cleared and waved the middle finger at his teammates,  fans, coaches and ownership by refusing to play. To hell with him. I don't want him on the Celtics. Say what you want about LeBron,  at least he is a competition.

To all the trade junkies who keep mentioning Hayward on these trade flatuations ... err ... speculations .... Hayward is going nowhere.

1) if we traded him it would reflect negatively on us in a huge way. No  future impact FA would trust us enough to sign here again.

2) Like it or not. With his current contract, Hayward has zero trade value until he demonsrates he can return at 100%.  His injury was far more traumatic than a standard blown acl, and beyond the difficult physical recovery, he will have mental and emotional hurdles to cross in letting go at 100 % on the court again.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 10:06:57 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Well, looks like I was wrong, Kawhi likely isn't staying with the Spurs and is now available.

Should be an interesting few weeks ahead. Also, this sort of distracts us from the Lebron rumors around here lol.